2021 Hacking and Riding

Exactly, there is no rush and it is better for him to get home still fresh than getting tired and sore.

I suppose you know that a bike helmet and a riding helmet are not interchangeable. They protect different parts of one's head and from different types of impact. I would be very wary of letting any child ride a horse of mine without a riding helmet. You could be held responsible.

I just played with sonny at a different time. .
It rained a lot of the day I let him in a big rd pen later in the day after it stopped.

Thankfully it wasnt sloppy even with all the rain.

I just played before bringing him in.
The footing was actually really good and
He did some nice trot canter transitions.

Its going to be a really unsettled week with rain... im just thrilled things are draining nicely.

Gorgeous morning, and not that cold. Lovely ride, despite Hogan being in one of his moods. They don't bother me much now, where before I'd just walk him in case he exploded, now we trot on and keep up the pace. Seems to work, and although he keeps up the attitude until we get home, he doesn't do much apart from swearing under his breath at me. I'd love to know what sets him off though. 🤔 Screenshot_20210505-104443_Gallery.jpg

A 4 day weekend for me :) On Friday I thought we had better have some jumping practice so we had a play in the school jumping 95cm. Saturday was a nice solo hack - I have to take Harvey out on his own sometimes or he forgets that he can do it and goes all wimpy on me ;)
Sunday was a jumping clinic at a venue new to me. I also managed to arrange for the yard groom to borrow a horse and come with me. She has always come with me as a groom and desperately wanted to come and ride. We had a great time finishing off with a course at 90cm.
On Monday the weather was so grim I decided Harvey could have the day off!

I'm including photos of my friend as they are already all over FB

Waiting to go in
P5026504-X2.jpg

Harvey looking laid back
P5026514-X2.jpg

Concentration face!
P5026578-X2.jpg

This was hard. 3 strides and then one and with a 150 degree turn into it making it very hard to keep the canter. Followed by a tight turn into a gate

P5026638-X2.jpg

P5026749-X2.jpg

I MUST look up!!!
P5026766-X2.jpg

P5026663-X2.jpg

Finished - 2 happy riders :)
P5026803-X2.jpg

Sorry for the photo overload!

Schooling
1 hour 15

Hacking
2 hours
6.1 miles

Totals
Schooling
5 hours 20

Hacking
160 miles
47 hours 15

A 4 day weekend for me :) On Friday I thought we had better have some jumping practice so we had a play in the school jumping 95cm. Saturday was a nice solo hack - I have to take Harvey out on his own sometimes or he forgets that he can do it and goes all wimpy on me ;)
Sunday was a jumping clinic at a venue new to me. I also managed to arrange for the yard groom to borrow a horse and come with me. She has always come with me as a groom and desperately wanted to come and ride. We had a great time finishing off with a course at 90cm.
On Monday the weather was so grim I decided Harvey could have the day off!

I'm including photos of my friend as they are already all over FB

Waiting to go in
P5026504-X2.jpg

Harvey looking laid back
P5026514-X2.jpg

Concentration face!
P5026578-X2.jpg

This was hard. 3 strides and then one and with a 150 degree turn into it making it very hard to keep the canter. Followed by a tight turn into a gate

P5026638-X2.jpg

P5026749-X2.jpg

I MUST look up!!!
P5026766-X2.jpg

P5026663-X2.jpg

Finished - 2 happy riders :)
P5026803-X2.jpg

Sorry for the photo overload!

Schooling
1 hour 15

Hacking
2 hours
6.1 miles

Totals
Schooling
5 hours 20

Hacking
160 miles
47 hours 15
No such thing as photo overload! They're great.

Reactions: GaryB
Didnt get to ride yesterday. Chunkys new rider came today. Shes managed to go and get a hat so im happier that shes got the proper safety now. I also made her wear one of my hi viz tabards.

I had to go out so i told my mum to tell her to go and get the horses in from the field. Apparently she was all excited. She was just leading them up from the bottom of the field when i got back. Saved me a long walk, yay.
We had a lovely 4 mile hack up across the top. It got a bit windy up on the top. Billys exercise sheet kept blowing right up. Tail streamers were all over the place. She kept hinting to me that Chunky wanted to trot. He did slip in a few catch up trots but i told her that we would have plenty of rides for trotting. A windy country lane is not the day to fizz the horses up. They fizz enough with the wind. Dont think she understands the dangers yet, even though i have explained it. Managed to keep it all controlled though. Think she'll find out when she gets tanked off with. Obviously i dont want that so im going to ignore her requests for trot and keep us safe.

Coming back up my road it was less windy so i did let her have several trots. Just keeped telling her hands down. She definately seems quite confident. I reckon she will ache a bit tomorrow poor girl.
Chunky seemed quite happy to be out too. He actually seemed forward. So im hoping its not too much for him.

Lovely ride. Hogan forward and very gentlemanly! Trotted up the back lane and forgot about the cows, so again, got the the banana bend as we passed, but no nonsense. Discovered what made him mental coming out the field yesterday - some sheep have been put in with the horses below us (fenced off from the horses) . Very good boy today though.

It’s poured yesterday and today and we are def fair weather hackers now. I did think about riding this afternoon but once I had groomed/itched all his itchy bits, it was raining again. Tomorrow maybe.

newrider.com