2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

Forgive me for worrying but id heard that hartpury college last week reported covid cases. Students had been sent home to isolate. Yet there still holding competitions.
We’d heard that there might be cases there but decided that based on the competition format we would go. The competition was outdoors. Only one groom allowed per horse and no spectators. There is no need to touch anything at all as stewards do all of the gates and all of the warm up jumps. Everyone has to social distance and as soon as you have jumped you have to leave. No toilets or registration so no need to go anywhere indoors. It actually felt a lot safer than going to a shop. I think we only had (socially distanced) contact with about 15 people.

Its tricky isn’t it to try and assess the risk I think we may have not gone if it was indoors

Last edited:
Gorgeous morning, I'd put on an extra layer, as it's been chilly recently - I was boiled! We were a bit lazy (Well, more so than usual!) and stupidly, I tried for a canter, but his trot wasn't active enough, so back to the drawing board. The colours were stunning - it was like riding in a golden haze. Listen to me - waxing all lyrical ;) Screenshot_20201014-210509_Gallery.jpg

Chilly and grey to start this morning. Again, the forest was almost deserted - no cows, no ponies and hardly any dog walkers. We took a fairly convoluted route today, Hogan was good - some of the weights dropped off, and I think he's feeling more energetic - ish! I tried toI Take a pic of a beautiful tree and it's colours, but videoed by mistake! I've also bought some reflective tape for his bridle - worked quite well.Screenshot_20201017-144141_Gallery.jpgthis, one day, will be my "canter" track!Screenshot_20201017-144156_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201017-144212_Gallery.jpg

Tried something a bit different with Zi today in the school. I'd seen an exercise on youtube where planks were laid at an angle. So I used the corner of the school banking as I could only be bothered carrying two planks in there. So Zi had to walk through them - easy but then back up around the corner. He did really well and once he'd got the hang of it, it worked well. I think sometimes I just need to keep thinking bits and bobs up for him, because he's a clever boy and likes to have something to think about - even if he's done it before, it's just keeping him occupied. When we do get back on board I'm keeping plenty of distractions in there, I feel a blank canvas is too much for him - too much potential for spooking. Give him plenty to look at instead.

Not done too much with the boys, giving them some down time, but yesterday i did hack through a field yesterday but billy keeps getting on his toes before the canter and its scaring me. Ive been trying to retrain him to only walk it. So i have also avoided it for a while in the hope he will forget about wanting to canter it. No such luck. Was definitely perking up more we rode through. Theres a little flat bit before we turn a corner and where the canter up the hill is. Billy suddenly let out a squeal bucked and tried to go. Fortunately i sat. He then started going sideways, turning himself 90 degrees, that wasnt getting him anywhere so another couple of bucks and backing up in towards the bushes. I managed to turned him straight and told him to get some manners and made him stand. Cue head tossing and more pacing. Once he stood i asked him to walk on. If id have given him one inch we would have been cantering. I dont mind cantering him its just the pre canter shenanigans that is spoiling it all.

Not done too much with the boys, giving them some down time, but yesterday i did hack through a field yesterday but billy keeps getting on his toes before the canter and its scaring me. Ive been trying to retrain him to only walk it. So i have also avoided it for a while in the hope he will forget about wanting to canter it. No such luck. Was definitely perking up more we rode through. Theres a little flat bit before we turn a corner and where the canter up the hill is. Billy suddenly let out a squeal bucked and tried to go. Fortunately i sat. He then started going sideways, turning himself 90 degrees, that wasnt getting him anywhere so another couple of bucks and backing up in towards the bushes. I managed to turned him straight and told him to get some manners and made him stand. Cue head tossing and more pacing. Once he stood i asked him to walk on. If id have given him one inch we would have been cantering. I dont mind cantering him its just the pre canter shenanigans that is spoiling it all.
Little beggar! Well done though - sounds like you've got him sussed. I don't know what's worse - knowing they're going to do it and nervously anticipating it, or being taken by surprise!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Another uneventful ride (I still think he's planning something....) Grey, but not too cold. Chatted to a neighbour on the way out - big mistake - he really got slow after that! Otherwise a very good boy, if a bit sluggish. Planning an early start tomorrow, and riding outside the inclosure, that might wake him up!

Another uneventful ride (I still think he's planning something....) Grey, but not too cold. Chatted to a neighbour on the way out - big mistake - he really got slow after that! Otherwise a very good boy, if a bit sluggish. Planning an early start tomorrow, and riding outside the inclosure, that might wake him up!

Ha, he's definitely planning something.......................... ? ? ?

I'm still using up my holiday by taking Fridays off. YO asked if I would go tio the gallops with her as her mare has never been out for a run in the open (these showjumpers lead a sheltered life :) ).

We started off very slowly and built up initially wih Harvey leading. For the last run we swapped and went a bit faster but not nearly as fast as Harvey would have liked!

Our yard groom is still in isolation so it was all hands to the pumps again. After mucking out I went to do my foster ponies - while I was doing them I got a frantic call from a riding friend saying can you meet me at the top of the woods and then the call cut off. I had no idea what the problem was so just literally ran to the car and drove there as quickly as I could (only about a mile). I met her leading a horse that was covered in foam looking like it had been galloped for an hour. I quickly grabbed the saddle off him and threw it in my car, The story was that she had been hacking for about 30 minutes in walk when he started cow kicking and sweating up - he has previoisly been operated on for colic so we suspect it was another episode. By now he was just hot and agitated but didn't seem in pain. I offered to fetch the horsebox but in the end we decided it was best to walk him home (about a mile) . We both walked in case there were any problems but we got back ok washed the horse down and turned him out with his friend. He had a roll and then seemed quite happy. He was monitored for the rest of the day and was fine.

All of this left me very little time to ride so I just managed 20 minutes round the block with YO.

Sunday was more mucking out, a solo hack with Harvey and then back to bring in.

Cantering fun on the gallops

PA163746-X2.jpg

PA163773-X2.jpg

Cooling down
PA163834-X2.jpg

Video of our last canter

Hacking
2 hours 20
10 miles

Totals
Schooling
34 hours 30

Hacking
77 hours
272.6 miles

I'm still using up my holiday by taking Fridays off. YO asked if I would go tio the gallops with her as her mare has never been out for a run in the open (these showjumpers lead a sheltered life :) ).

We started off very slowly and built up initially wih Harvey leading. For the last run we swapped and went a bit faster but not nearly as fast as Harvey would have liked!

Our yard groom is still in isolation so it was all hands to the pumps again. After mucking out I went to do my foster ponies - while I was doing them I got a frantic call from a riding friend saying can you meet me at the top of the woods and then the call cut off. I had no idea what the problem was so just literally ran to the car and drove there as quickly as I could (only about a mile). I met her leading a horse that was covered in foam looking like it had been galloped for an hour. I quickly grabbed the saddle off him and threw it in my car, The story was that she had been hacking for about 30 minutes in walk when he started cow kicking and sweating up - he has previoisly been operated on for colic so we suspect it was another episode. By now he was just hot and agitated but didn't seem in pain. I offered to fetch the horsebox but in the end we decided it was best to walk him home (about a mile) . We both walked in case there were any problems but we got back ok washed the horse down and turned him out with his friend. He had a roll and then seemed quite happy. He was monitored for the rest of the day and was fine.

All of this left me very little time to ride so I just managed 20 minutes round the block with YO.

Sunday was more mucking out, a solo hack with Harvey and then back to bring in.

Cantering fun on the gallops

PA163746-X2.jpg

PA163773-X2.jpg

Cooling down
PA163834-X2.jpg

Video of our last canter

Hacking
2 hours 20
10 miles

Totals
Schooling
34 hours 30

Hacking
77 hours
272.6 miles
Glad your friends horse recovered.

Well, evil came to town today. He WAS planning something. I know why it happened though. Went out later, so his pal was still in the stable when we set off. Got to the inclosure and Hogan just started yelling his head off. Wouldn't stand to let me got on, so I led him, thinking he'd calm down - nope. Yelled the whole way, threw himself around, snorted, leaned into me and huffed and head shook. I was determined to get on at the gate to come home, did so, and the little booger bucked and bunny hopped before I got my stirrups. Stayed on and got out the gate, and he wouldn't go back to shut the gate. 10 minutes later we did it. Jogged and danced up the back lane, and when we got to the tarmac, I thought stuff it, I'm not coming off onto that, so got off and led the last stretch. Into the barn - and he's totally normal. When i turned him out, he galloped straight to his buddy. So - note to self - don't go out while B's in his stable.
"SORRY NOT SORRY" Screenshot_20201022-110815_Gallery.jpg

What do I do with this boy!? SO good today - absolute little gent. Going through the houses, there was a big truck, chap on the back of it, hammering something, big pile of wood beside it, and another chap digging and hammering in a driveway - went through beautifully. At gate to forest, forest ponies milling each side - stood so well while I got on. And the cows! Cows everywhere - on the track, in the bushes, behind trees - he even trotted past them. Every hazard, everywhere. My schizophrenic pony - gotta love 'em. Colours were beautiful too.Screenshot_20201023-120711_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201023-120804_Gallery.jpg

newrider.com