2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

Still very wet first thing, but I was determined to get out today. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and we managed to miss the worst of the rain. The forest is very muddy, and Hogan is a big sissy about mud and puddles - couple of mini tantrums about those! Hoping to squeeze a last one in tomorrow, before the chaos ensues.View attachment 104964
Glad you got out and about with H.

Had a short play with Zi in hand this morning. We had the best of the day really, it was very cold (he's sharp atm with it). He's really getting good at backing up now, along the planks I laid out. Afterwards I turned him out without a rug. Big mistake. Now dreading the hour long grooming sesh by torchlight. Hmm. Least he's happy though (I think they need a good mud bath every now and again!)

Only one more week of the year left to add all those hacks and workouts. Wonder how many people have achieved there goals for this year.

Lovely hack on billy today. Managed 3 miles. They an inhand walk clicker session with chunky to go see the cows and then weaving through the trees on the way home to try and make him bend a bit.

A lovely short session today with Zi. Though our school was frozen quite hard - very unusual here. Zi was good and is getting quite bendy. In a way it would have been a good day for OH to ride, but given the frosty puddles at the field entrance where they potter about and knowing it's slippy we decided against it and just to do in hand stuff. I don't think Zi minds at all.

Rain rug on Hogan tonight - sick of going up and him being totally soaked in rain and mud and not being able to go out. Not raining tonight, but very cold, so he should be ok to go out tomorrow.

Last riding report of the year
Christmas day was very cold. There are only 6 horses at the stables now and for a change there were 4 of us there so it was a relaxed morning mucking out. I went for a hack with YO in the afternoon but we had to keep to the roads without any shade as the areas in the shade were still frosty and we didn't want to risk it. Boxing Day was still cold but not icy so I hacked out with YO and the groom.

On Sunday I decided to do some jumping in the school. Harvey was even more grumpy than normal when I tacked him up and it soon became clear he wasn't right. I don't think its much but I've booked the chiropractor to come and have a look.

Monday was supposed to be a hack on the yard veteran but it snowed so that was cancelled

Snow stopped play :(
IMG_0456-L.jpg

Hacking
5 miles
1 hour 30

Totals for the year :)
Schooling
39 hours 30

Hacking
98 hours 5
339.6 miles

Last edited:
Last riding report of the year
Christmas day was very cold. There are only 6 horses at the stables now and for a change there were 4 of us there so it was a relaxed morning mucking out. I went for a hack with YO in the afternoon but we had to keep to the roads without any shade as the areas in the shade were still frosty and we didn't want to risk it. Boxing Day was still cold but not icy so I hacked out with YO and the groom.

On Sunday I decided to do some jumping in the school. Harvey was even more grumpy than normal when I tacked him up and it soon became clear he wasn't right. I don't think its much but I've booke the chiropractor to come and have a look.

Monday was supposed to be a hack on the yard veteran but it snowed so that was cancelled

Snow stopped play :(
IMG_0456-L.jpg

Hacking
5 miles
1 hour 30

Totals for the year :)
Schooling
39 hours 30

Hacking
98 hours 5
339.6 miles
I hope Harvey is back to normal again soon after the chiro has been.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Beautiful morning, terrible ride. Halfway round started rearing and bucking for no reason. Sat it out, but he was snorting and jogging. Met a dog walker, and decided to dismount, as it's a bit slippy, and worried he'd explode as we passed. Got off before he could do anything, so hopefully he won't associate the dismount with the bucking etc. Got back on at the gate out of forest, but the tarmac lane was icy, so again, got off before he could be stupid. No idea where it came from - everything was white - was it that? Had a rug on last night - was it that - cold after being warm? Haven't ridden for a week - was that it? Unless it was just deciding to be a total git for the sake of it. Anyway, sat out the rears, and will take the little sh** out tomorrow whether he likes it or not! Screenshot_20201230-120444_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201230-120452_Gallery.jpgGot hay - didn't deserve it! And no rug - it's dry and cold so he doesn't need it.

Ohh glad it all ended ok.

Sometimes I would get off for no reason at all. I always find something to use to mount again.
Then there is no association to you getting off because hes being a brat or loosing confidence.
That's what I was hoping - I sat the really bad bit, so fingers crossed he doesn't put 2 and 2 together!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
When I lost my confidence on MAX
many years ago I did not ride for 5 years.

I went back to riding taking lessons.
Then I'd ride Max.. he would zig or zag and I would get off right away.
He picked up on that REALLY QUICK.

All have to to is be a bit silly to end the ride...mom will get right off..

TIL ONE DAY.... I GOT SOME BACKBONE
BACK...

HE ZIGGED AND ZAGGED....I GAVE HIM A POP ON THE BUTT WITH THE CROP
*******STOP THE CRAP *****

He was shocked but he did stop the nonsense.

Reactions: Huggy
I went up early this afternoon and took him out in hand. Still a bit fresh, and I think if I'd ridden him he'd have been a brat, but not too bad walking out. I'm going to give him tomorrow off, as we went out twice today, then will lead out next time, to gauge his mood.

Far too icy here to ride. So the boys got a bit of clicker training and an inhand walk out to the end of the road and back. Looked lovely in town, bright sunshine but to dangerous to risk getting there.

Reactions: GaryB
Think it'll be too icy here as well. Might take Hogan into the paddock for some basic manners reminders!

newrider.com