2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

Sonny unmounted 150.50 hrs
Mounted 31.50 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

OH Yes You do look awesome Garyb.. ;) ;) ;)

Well they heavy rain DID get rid of the Snow woo hoo but now its turned back to SNOW:mad::mad::mad::(:( but wont be as much.

I got out before dawn yesterday in a lull. Hoping to get everything done really early.
OHHH Sonny got soooooooo on the SH … list....
The stalls looked like party time and I got Andi done first went out dumped and left the gate open out the back thru Sonnys paddock. Not that unusual....
I went back to get Sonnys stall and the brat well he was not interested in his 2nd cut and with the snow gone well ugh he got grass fever...
Im coming out with the wheelbarrel I see him eyeing the open gate :eek::eek:.
I'm saying whoa sonny and he was having NONE OF IT and goes flying out the gate..There is no grass out that way he ran thru the manure down the bit of laneway into where it dead ends in stickers and bushes and little pines. It was soft and deep.
with all the rain on the manure.
I go rushing back to barn to grab a pc of hay cord and some hay pellets in his bowl to rattle..
He had gone to the dead end and stopped he did not try to push thru stickers etc.
He had to go right back thru the deep to get out..
I was worried he could pull something.
HE SEEMED FINE.
but its always a worry when they do something STUPID.. and I never thought he was gonna run out that gate so STUPID ME AS WELL.
After getting back from a Dr appoitment there was another lull so i took him to the arena on line THE WAY he jumped bucked spun and carried on well he was fine :p:p:p.
Then he settled down and behaved and l let him have some grass.
I really UNDERESTIMATED the power of him wanting grass after it being buried under the snow for a few days:rolleyes:..
The rain turned back to snow last nite and will be a few inches but NOT A FOOT.
AND MAYBE WOO HOO some sun when it stops.
I' hoping to play again today and if its not coveing the grass too much let him have more.
You can barely see him in the middle... mommy come save me

With all the torrential rain and snow melt we are really lucky to have great drainage and not be a sloppy mess. There was a lot of flooding in yards.

Reactions: Trewsers and GaryB
I'm saying whoa sonny and he was having NONE OF IT and goes flying out the gate..There is no grass out that way he ran thru the manure down the bit of laneway into where it dead ends in stickers and bushes and little pines. It was soft and deep.
Harvey managed to get past me and take himself to the field on Saturday - they do seem to like a little explore on their own occasionally!

I let him loose lots if times to eat grass around when I'm out and about outside.
I totally underestimated without a clue
That he would take off out that gate.
There was NO easy terrain to get thru from there to grass.

The Queen is AMAZING and still looks good on a horse at 93...:);).

The NO HELMET really still bothers me.
I do realize she has ridden with a kerchief
All her life.... But like all of us as we get older you don't bend and bounce like we used to..

There is a snipit they show occasionally of her in parade and someone thru a firecracker. She got Burmese nicely back under control quite quickly.
She has always been an amazing rider.

Reactions: Trewsers
And the not hacking after all thread?
I got to the yard. My back hurt. Very wet and windy out and no point getting cold and wet, so I rode in the school for a little while instead. As we left the school and rode to the yard to dismount Ella made it clear that she wanted to go out the main gate and start a long hack. She did it again at the other gate tho I told her her hay net was waiting.
Then I realised. The staff often lunge or ride my horse to make her safer for me. She thought my total ride today was simply preparing for a hack. And she wanted to do it. There is a pic in the Times today of the Queen riding in a long mac. May be I should get mine out and wear it?
I did a stupid thing - I had a lovely long purple mac, but hardly ever wore it. Couple of months ago I cut and hemmed it to long jacket length. 2 weeks of almost solid rain, and do I feel daft? You bet I
I let him loose lots if times to eat grass around when I'm out and about outside.
I totally underestimated without a clue
That he would take off out that gate.
There was NO easy terrain to get thru from there to grass.

The Queen is AMAZING and still looks good on a horse at 93...:);).

The NO HELMET really still bothers me.
I do realize she has ridden with a kerchief
All her life.... But like all of us as we get older you don't bend and bounce like we used to..

There is a snipit they show occasionally of her in parade and someone thru a firecracker. She got Burmese nicely back under control quite quickly.
She has always been an amazing rider.
she's an incredible horsewoman

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Ohh no huggy. .. bummer :mad: :mad: :( :(

I have an old rain jacket i love its plastic outside with a bit of foam and a cloth liner
I provides q bit of warmth. ;):)

Aftrt this weekend it had a big tear along one side near the snaps ugh I bet i got bumped by Washingtons horns :mad:
He can be a brat and sling them like sabers and FORGETS ...THIS IS MOMMY...HEAD GOAT.. not one of his brothers.
I msnaged to fix it with gorilla tape that holds realky well.
Unfortunately the coat is red and the tape is black doing it with regular red duct tape it would not hold as well
Its a barn coat so looks dont matter

Its not like i can just rush out and buy another one
So many things any more are so much more fashion than practical..

I got everything done this am with VERY MINIMAL SHOVELING yea...;)

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Ohh no huggy. .. bummer :mad: :mad: :( :(

I have an old rain jacket i love its plastic outside with a bit of foam and a cloth liner
I provides q bit of warmth. ;):)

Aftrt this weekend it had a big tear along one side near the snaps ugh I bet i got bumped by Washingtons horns :mad:
He can be a brat and sling them like sabers and FORGETS ...THIS IS MOMMY...HEAD GOAT.. not one of his brothers.
I msnaged to fix it with gorilla tape that holds realky well.
Unfortunately the coat is red and the tape is black doing it with regular red duct tape it would not hold as well
Its a barn coat so looks dont matter

Its not like i can just rush out and buy another one
So many things any more are so much more fashion than practical..

I got everything done this am with VERY MINIMAL SHOVELING yea...;)

Shame about the jacket, but minimal shovelling is good!

Lots going on, with dog having his op, horses escaping etc, so a bit tense. Despite it being very windy, it was SUNNY! Had a lovely ride, and the wind didn't seem to worry Hogan. I'm now extremely chilled. :) Screenshot_20191213-212536_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191213-212548_Gallery.jpg

• Love
Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Sonny unmounted 152.00 hrs
Mounted 31.50 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

NEVER GET COMPLACIENT :( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ugh it was REALLY HORRIBLY WINDY YESTERDAY..
I let mr mudball eat in the front yeard loose while I sat on the front steps.
Then we legged up on the road he was great and too cute one of the drafts called to him and he called back... he never does things like that....
Then I let him up in one of the big round pens for a bit more grass but the winds make me nervous with the tall pines.
I had some lovely play online in the arena even with the winds.
Then I'm walking him back and all of a sudden an even worse gust
then there had been and they were BAD..
A tarp by the firewood flips up he jumps sideways onto my FOOT...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:OHHHH that hurt....
We were going for first cut hay to stock up since another bad storm due.
As soon as we got that in i took the car to get more second to leave right in the car.
Wow I was SOOOOOO LUCKY I did not get a chance to check out my foot til I was back from second cut hay and I had really no swelling pain or bruising.If I push on the spot it hurts but wow I was lucky.
It could have been lots LOTS WORSE in so many ways..
He generally doesnt spook but as much as we might think. NO ANIMAL
is totally bombproof.
Things can and do happen

Really no silly boy at all. No sign of what was gonna come.

The farrier is coming shortly and the winds are calm so I want him to have more time after hes done before horrible weather tomorrow into wed in a rd pen getting more grass and having more play.

Yaye I can write something on here again! Haven't been on board for over a week - weather / time etc so it was a nice surprise today when Mr T wanted to tack up (I do need encouragement and can become lazy in winter!). So we both rode the ginger bread man and he was absolutely hoof perfect. What a star. The cats were playing hide and seek around the arena too! Mackeral (she is the big momma cat) even came to watch me! Hahahaa. Then our most confident and playful of the kittens (Rosina) decided she was gonna make a bid for climbing the palm tree in the garden which is next to the school. At this point I thought my luck was about to run out lol but he was fine!
Wonderful. It was clear, bright and sunny. And I actually (whispers) enjoyed it..................(no jelly legs here!):D:D:D:D

Yaye I can write something on here again! Haven't been on board for over a week - weather / time etc so it was a nice surprise today when Mr T wanted to tack up (I do need encouragement and can become lazy in winter!). So we both rode the ginger bread man and he was absolutely hoof perfect. What a star. The cats were playing hide and seek around the arena too! Mackeral (she is the big momma cat) even came to watch me! Hahahaa. Then our most confident and playful of the kittens (Rosina) decided she was gonna make a bid for climbing the palm tree in the garden which is next to the school. At this point I thought my luck was about to run out lol but he was fine!
Wonderful. It was clear, bright and sunny. And I actually (whispers) enjoyed it..................(no jelly legs here!):D:D:D:D
Gingerbread man - lol

Well, I've had 2 non starters - 1st one on Saturday, when I turned back, having seen a woman riding a beautiful horse that looked as though it was going to explode - cantering sideways, eyes bulging, head right up in the air - nope nope nope. Then Sunday, when the heavens just opened and never closed. Had a very chilled one today, the kind Hogan likes - stopping every 100 yds to chat with the dog walkers! Don't care, thoroughly enjoyed myself. :p

Sonny unmounted 152.50 hrs
Mounted 31.50 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

Really nice low key liberty in the cavaletti pen yesterday morning while waiting for the farrier to come.
Today quite a bit of crummy weather snow sleet freezing rain rain :mad: :(
It was just starting to snow around 5am so I got out and got everything done and dusted..:p:p;);)
It really kind of nice to be out REALLY EARLY and be in just after 6 for that second cup of coffee:D:D
If we get a lot of freezing rain that could be very nasty worse than a bit more snow.

Sonny unmounted 152.50 hrs
Mounted 31.50 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

Really nice low key liberty in the cavaletti pen yesterday morning while waiting for the farrier to come.
Today quite a bit of crummy weather snow sleet freezing rain rain :mad: :(
It was just starting to snow around 5am so I got out and got everything done and dusted..:p:p;);)
It really kind of nice to be out REALLY EARLY and be in just after 6 for that second cup of coffee:D:D
If we get a lot of freezing rain that could be very nasty worse than a bit more snow.

Oh yes you need a second coffee!! lol

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
On Saturday YO was off early SJ so I had to get up early to help turn out (Our groom is only 17 and we don't let her handle horses when there is nobody else there - in fact we all try to avoid it). I'm still helping look after my poorly friend's ponies and after doing those I was invited to her group's Christmas party. After than it was very windy so a planned long hack turned into a much shorter one with the yard groom :(

Sunday was an Arena Eventing clinic. I had booked in at 80cm, but there were only 3 riders and we knew each other so 2 of us did mostly 90cm. Harvey was a bit mad, but he certainly wasn't about to stop at anything!

Warming up with ominous skies!
i-HbSSMZC-XL.jpg

i-BGtjp53-XL.jpg

On to the rustic fences!
i-HmD9jz9-XL.jpg

This fence was very narrow and looked huge (probably because it was narrow)
i-jchgmT3-XL.jpg

They have a track out of the arena with solid fences
i-t66fDKB-X2.jpg

Hacking 2.5 miles
40 minutes

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
38 hours 50

Hacking
323.5 miles