Watery eyes

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Dan has always had watery eyes on a pretty regular basis, it seems wind and flies make it happen. I do have ointment from the vet if they get infected but as long as I wipe them daily when they leak they don't.

But recently, I'd say the last 3 months, it's non stop and he did end up with an infection just before Christmas as when I moved them 2 fields over I didn't take his flannel then kept forgetting to pick it up (I stop in there on my way to the others).

I feel like I am missing a trick? He does have bug eyes, maybe I should be plaiting his forelock? He won't keep a fly mask on and tends to rub at it, making matters worse. Any thoughts?

ETA, there is no squinting or indication of pain, he just gets crusty muck from his eyes half way down his face. And it's both eyes, though the right i generally slightly worse.

Last edited:
For my old share, I kept a white Boots baby sponge that was used only for her eyes. I took it home after every ride and washed it using baby shampoo. These days I would probably use a wet cotton wool pad and throw it away after use. Recently with Ella I used my fingers and cold water to soften it and then dipped my face brush in water.

I dont know what happens with horses but in humans the tears that lubicate ones eyes drain away into openings, on the inside corners of your upper and lower eyelids. The openings lead to small canals called canaliculi. Canaliculi move tears to a sac to a reservoir on the side of the nose called the lacrimal sac. From there tears travel down the nasolacrimal duct and drain into your nose.

These ducts sometimes get blocked and I once went to the GP who terrified me by saying medics clear the ducts using a needle. I sorted it by massaging my face either side of my nose. May be (if the horse allows) after washing round his eyes you could massage the sides of your horse's face?

Unlikely but how long is the grass there on. Could stalks be causing it.
Most likely id say an allergy of some description. Trying to work that one out is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Does he exercise his head on the haynets.

Chunky gets a little watery at times but nothing to major. Im sure is an allergy or pollen. He sometimes gets a little nasal discharge to.

I know we discussed fly masks before. It would be my go to. Have you tried one with a hole in the forelock so you can pull the forelock through.
1st port of call cut the forelock so its completely above the eye line. It rules out irritation from the hair. Ive done it with Billy to help with the headshaking.

Reactions: Jessey
I already wash his face with a flannel which works fine. I will try a hot compress and massaging, he won't mind.

They are only on short/over-grazed grass @chunky monkey, and generally they don't have hay nets at this time of year, but they have a round bale at the moment (just added 2 weeks ago) and I haven't seen him rubbing on it.

My old vet thought he probably had narrow ducts due to being a mini with a bulged forehead and bug eyes, which is why we got the occasional tearing. I am thinking this is probably irritation making them tear more and overflow, rather than a blockage. I am leaning away from allergy just because it doesn't happen at the same time of year or anything. I always left his forelock as it does offer some protection to keep things out of his eyes, but I will try plaiting it back for a while to see if that helps, I don't want to cut it off unnecessarily šŸ˜¬

I tried a few different masks, with ears, without, with forelock holes and without, he just rubs more and removes them.

Wind and dust can cause the eyes to water.
My first point of call would be to look at the length of the forelock, see if it's whipping him in the face.

Then soothe with a tea bag.

Excessive tears would make me think of a blockage.

Some of the bug eye dogs at work have crusty watery eyes because they actually suffer from dry eyes. We use artificial tears or eye lube and it helps hugely. I'd run it past your vet first but it might be worth a try maybe

Keep your old teabags and use them gently to clean, or if they are fragile, use cold tea.

I have an old mare with gooey eyes and I think it is her forelock and wind that cause it. I clean daily keeping an eye out for conjunctivitis, then Iā€™m in there with eye ointment from vet which is always handy to have in your first aid arsenal. Probably once every eight months do I use it, just once, and that seems to clear everything up for a while.

newrider.com