stallion wont stop screaming when ridden

it's very common, and a loss of attention. deal with it just like you would on the ground - a reminder of whatever you choose to get his focus back on you the very second attention starts to drift, and give him something to think aobut.

i use the aids on the side furthest away - so if he is ogling mares at the left, i flex the head to the right, use my right leg and smack on the right shoulder with a stick if needed.

also voice - make sure he knows clearly that it is not what you want. often people just rtry to distract stallions form their hormonal urges, without ever actually telling them clearly that there is a time and a place for it and now is not it.

I dont want to distract his hormones, i can get his attention when at home and ride past the mares and colts, the problem is when were out and we meet other horses he just screams n screams and gets jiggy with it, tried taking him out with older gelding and he wouldnt listen at all, the gelding is his stable mate, cant use stick as he was badly abused before i got him 4ths ago covered in scars and nearly emaciated . 8 other stallions next to him were dead or had to be put down

well, it doesn't have to be a stick - rein and leg will work too. practice too - he is the equivalent of a 19 year old boy and it is spring - even the bext behaved stallions get fruity at this time of year. just keep practicing, push his boundaries slowly.

I don't know about stallions but my gelding will do the same thing. With him I tend to use a verbal "shut up" & give him some harder work to concentrate on, I'll be as tough as I need to to get his respect & attention though I try a tactful approach first. It has to be dealt with though as ignoring it result in him getting more & more wound up & ignoring the rider then he explodes.

the scream is not a mating scream its aimed at other male horses its a fighting scream, he aint saying hello im here look at me, its a look at me and your dead. my other stallion is a wuss he looks at another horse, i say no and he says ok even at a feria with 100s of other horses, this is a fighting SCREAM i do know the difference

If it is a fighting scream, then you don't want to reprimand him for it as that can make him take a nasty turn towards you, i.e. try bucking you off etc. I think the best way is to consistently work on immediately distracting him with something demanding when you see his focus drifting away. And then just hope that with time his behaviour improves.. Can't offer you any guarantees that it will though, some stallions just always are vocal (regardless whether it is look at me or come fight me call) in the precense of others, especially when not at home yard.

Nina x

If the bad behavior continues, then consider gelding him. No stallion is worth keeping intact if they cannot have manners on the ground and under saddle.

newrider.com