Respect or not

Ace67

Mar 14, 2021
Hi all.

New to the group and looking for advice.

Have a 3 Yr old ish that I've had for 3 mths, when I try to work him in the school he'll try to kick me, trainer says he has no respect, but then I don't understand as general day to day stuff he's fine.... I call him in the field and he'll run over and follow and take him to the stable and do all his grooming and stuff. When I got him 3 mths ago I could ride him but haven't got on him recently as if he doesn't respect me when training will he respect me on top of him. So confused.

Last edited:
What work are you doing with him in the school? As a 3yo, even if he's rising 4, the chances are he'll have a short attention span and may also find things difficult even if they seem basic to you. Day to day stuff he's probably familiar with and feels safe doing, school stuff maybe less so. Did your trainer not give you any instruction on how to deal with this? Just saying he lacks respect isn't at all helpful.

Reactions: Skint and Huggy
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Several thoughts spring to mind.
The first you havent had him long so hes still getting to know you and his surroundings. Hes young as well so could still be trying to work out whats expected of him as a baby or hes is just testing his boundaries like an young child will do.

It could be that everytime hes been in an arena in his previous home. Hes gone in there loose to have a free run about leg stretch session. So to him arenas are for a free for all, kick the heels up whoppi session. He has not learnt that arenas are also a place where you are expected to concerntrate and work and learn.
As a 3 yo his sessions should be kept short as his attention span is short.

If he has been mistreated or pushed too hard in an arena and simply chased around in an arena he could be associating with a bad start/experience.

Is he kicking out when you leading in hand in there or are you trying to lunge him on a line or just free lunging. If your trying to lunge he maybe not understanding what you want or expect of him at this stage.
You say you can ride him. Most people only back horses and ride a bit as a 3 year old. So he in theory hasnt done alot. So i would be acting like that horse is freshly backed and only doing short rides on him.
This is his time to learn so you could ride him and use the session as a way to forward his respect and understanding of an arena.

From your post you do sound as though you may be new to horse ownership. One would therefore question is he the right horse for you. Green horse, green rider and all that. Could lead to an accident.
Perhaps you need to source help from another instructor who understands bringing on a freshly backed horse and who can help you on the ground and work with you on the riding.

Reactions: carthorse
Babies can be a bit like that, they want to be your friend then you chase them away and they don’t understand why and have a bit of a temper or try to ‘defend’ themselves from the ‘aggressor’, generally this needs treating with understanding not trying to force respect, though if mine came close to me with heels I’d definitely be sending him forwards out of my space sharpish.
It’s really difficult to say really what’s what without seeing what’s going on, so it’s probably best to put your head together with your instructor to come up with a game plan to tackle this, tbh it’s no bad thing giving such a young horse time to grow up a bit and focus on your groundwork to get that solid. What country are you from?

He's very young, my filly went through the terrible twos most of the time on her hind legs and my trainer worked very hard with her just to get her to not block and to follow and learn that her job was that wherever we went she had to move accordingly. If we wanted to walk off to the right and we were leading on left she had to move out the way and follow. Sometimes when she couldn't concentrate he would let her off to have a buck and kick just to get it out of her system then start again. We only worked her for 10 minutes at a time, unless we hit a major issue when it would extend till she gave the slightest acceptance and obedience then we would praise and stop. He sounds like you may need quite a lot of help with him to prevent things getting a bit out of hand. With the work we did with the filly i could lead her across the field and in again with her listening and not misbehaving and she still is very good even if other horses are charging around she stays with me and doesn't pull or react. Maybe go back a few stages, concentrate on really precise control, i want 1 step forward, 3 back, 3 sidesways etc and get him really listening. Very very short lessons then turn out and let them relax and remember what they have been doing.

Reactions: Huggy
He came from Ireland and then went hunted then went away be schooled for riding, I believe he hasn't had much groundwork and in hand stuff done, he only had the menage but have moved to stables with turnout so better for him. I am taking things back to basic as he's been here there and everywhere and had a lot of changes and different people. Yes I have little experience hence why im working with trainers and there is no rush as he is young and we have go a long road ahead. He may of been treated heavy handedly which the trainer suggested.

Poor chap, he is still really only a baby. I have a 3 year old (and am selling him because I know I won't be a good enough rider to bring him on) and although he is clingy and affectionate, if I do something that makes it clear that I think I am the boss he will flourish his heels at me as he hurries away. I wouldn't say he kicks out, he never does it when he is close enough to reach me - it's more a "Ner ner ner, you can't catch me" thing, like sticking his tongue out. As Jessey says, if he did it in my space he would know about it quick sharp.

Speaking personally, I wouldn't try to ride a 3 year old, even if he has been hunted, until I was sure that he knew me and trusted and respected me on the ground. I think you're doing just the right thing to focus on the groundwork. Let him settle with you and give him a chance to become a nice cooperative horse, rather than an confused unsettled horse.

newrider.com