Pot Belly

Equistar

My horse has a pot belly. We thought it was worms and gave him the correct ammount of dewormer. His belly went down but is still noticably bloated. His manure is not as firm as it should be, but is wet (although not runny). I haven't changed his feed, his excersize ammount, or anything. What could be the problem?

howlong has he had this problem? Did you have alot ofworms when you wormed? How much grazing does he get versus exercise - my mare had a pot belly -worming was definitely a problem but so was too much grazing and not enough exercise- she is now starting to get a nice shape as her muscles tone up . Loose droppings can be due to access to lush grazing. Not sure what else to suggest - see what others say and if still concerned seek advice from your vet

equistar,

worms could definitely still be a problem as there are lots of different wormers around and they don't all kill all the worms. It's also possible that the pasture you are grazing carries a heavy load of worm egss and that will not help the problem.

You need to get your vet to send a sample of his droppings to check for parasite eggs to see if your worming treatment has worked, or if you need to try another one. The vet will also be able to send samples of your grass to be chhecked for eggs too.

Otherwise there are a few other things that could cause him to be pot bellied, but all of those will need to be checked by a vet, so call him! :D

As of now he has a dirt run behind his stall that has no grass around it. The only grass he gets is when I graze him for about 20min after he is cooled out maybe 4x a week. He did not have very many worms that I could tell of, but yes they could be a problem still. It's been 2weeks so far starting on our 3rd.

newrider.com
Back