Oh horror...Update

As I thought, my YO and her husband are running short of money. Their financial situation is complicated. Their financial advisor wants them to sell the field but they really, really don't want to. The alternative is to get more income from it.

So a rent increase to £175/month per horse. That's not much for the recent arrivals, who already pay £140, but I pay £115 so it's a 50% hike! But to me it's worth it. Where else could I see Sid from my bedroom?

We have to try this for 6 months or so to see if the FA is happy with the revised situation. Then if things don't look good they will have to consider selling. But I really hope not.

I don't know what prices are round your way or what you get for that, but it doesn't sound excessive to me given the place suits you and is so very close. You could easily spend more than that price rise on fuel if he was further away. Thank goodness it isn't that they're immediately selling up.

A price increase is a challenge, but as mentioned you could be paying that much extra in fuel to keep him elsewhere and not have that priceless view from your bedroom window! At least it’s not flat notice at this stage.

Ouch that is quite a hike. But agree you would spend that on fuel. Although as youve been there for a few years youd hope you would have a lower rate than new people. Glad you can stay put for now at least. Thats such a relief.
I can remember when my old yard tripled my field rent. Having asked 6 months before i got a second horse what it would cost. Then never came back to me till a month after i got him. Had i have know i probably wouldnt have got another horse.

Ouch. But at least you still have a home for Sid and no fuel costs to get there!

I guess the best case scenario from a not good situation.

newrider.com