March chat

View attachment 122178
End of our lesson on Thursday, Joe likes to capture the yawning pose. He doesn't half yawn at the end!

Fingers crossed coming along ok, I've been riding him just over a week, graduated to two reins on Thursday, but I'm only allowed to use one at a time!
I hated the one rein riding I must confess. But it does slow you down to respond rather than react, and you always have the one rein stop with the disengage.

I am so pleased this is going well. He's grown in that photo. I need to think of something else nice to say about him rather than the colour, but I do love it šŸ˜‚

beautiful sunny day yesterday Buddy turned out naked questioned rugging him last night just as well he got his big rug on as frost this morning
I've taken Raf's rug off in the afternoons for the past few days, until today when it was cold and grey again. He isn't growing any coat since his last clip though, I don't know if he should be by now. He's a Cushings horse, ought to have a thick coat! AJ is shedding like crazy and his shoulders have got a nice shine, the rest of him is still yak-like though.

I've taken Raf's rug off in the afternoons for the past few days, until today when it was cold and grey again. He isn't growing any coat since his last clip though, I don't know if he should be by now. He's a Cushings horse, ought to have a thick coat! AJ is shedding like crazy and his shoulders have got a nice shine, the rest of him is still yak-like though.
Suze and Fleur are naked now, Tintin at night as he gets stuck in rugs, tonight Buddy and Sapphire just no fill rugs on. Sapphire is shedding like mad, Buddy holding onto his coat a bit longer, Fleur has shed, Suze a bit of a way to go.

I hated the one rein riding I must confess. But it does slow you down to respond rather than react, and you always have the one rein stop with the disengage.

I am so pleased this is going well. He's grown in that photo. I need to think of something else nice to say about him rather than the colour, but I do love it šŸ˜‚
That is so true about the one rein stop - I needed it yesterday when I was riding in my field (I don't have an arena), concentrating on what we were doing and didn't notice the lorry in the adjacent field where they're putting up buildings for livestock. The lorry lifted it's trailer and tipped a load of rubble or hardcore very noisily. AJ had a moment of panic and shot forward, one rein stop applied and worked! I was sitting on a spinning horse admiring the whites of his eye for a few seconds but that was it, calm down and situation normal again. Phew.

As an aside, I watch Joe's videos in between my lessons to remind me what I should be doing. I was watching one last night feeling a bit stressed and despondent thinking there's so much to remember and what if I get it wrong and forget what to do with my legs or mix up the hands and legs. If only I had another horse to practice on. Oh, wait ...

Reactions: Jessey
Robin has a new buddy. Due to his liking for striking with a front foot and my fear of fence injuries (he is going in the next door field) they met over the stable door. They made instant friends ā™„ļøPXL_20240331_080424908.jpgPXL_20240331_080422014.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Jessey and Bodshi
Suze and Fleur are naked now, Tintin at night as he gets stuck in rugs, tonight Buddy and Sapphire just no fill rugs on. Sapphire is shedding like mad, Buddy holding onto his coat a bit longer, Fleur has shed, Suze a bit of a way to go.
How funny that they're all so different. Do donkeys shed like horses? Is that a silly question?

That is so true about the one rein stop - I needed it yesterday when I was riding in my field (I don't have an arena), concentrating on what we were doing and didn't notice the lorry in the adjacent field where they're putting up buildings for livestock. The lorry lifted it's trailer and tipped a load of rubble or hardcore very noisily. AJ had a moment of panic and shot forward, one rein stop applied and worked! I was sitting on a spinning horse admiring the whites of his eye for a few seconds but that was it, calm down and situation normal again. Phew.

As an aside, I watch Joe's videos in between my lessons to remind me what I should be doing. I was watching one last night feeling a bit stressed and despondent thinking there's so much to remember and what if I get it wrong and forget what to do with my legs or mix up the hands and legs. If only I had another horse to practice on. Oh, wait ...
For me I loved everything we did on ground, J excelled at everything we did on the ground. I just didn't want to take it to the saddle.
That used to frustrate my then RI, but as I pointed out it's about doing what works for the horse AND the human. The human in this case says nope.
Now T on the otherhand likes precise and purpose, she might be okay with it. I just don't do it anymore šŸ˜‚

Reactions: Bodshi
How funny that they're all so different. Do donkeys shed like horses? Is that a silly question?
Donkeys tend to hold onto their coats much longer, we had one that generallly only shed couple of months before regrowing her winter coat. And one we used to clip out his top half so a reverse trace clip as he got very itchy and you had to shampoo him to keep him comfy

Reactions: Bodshi
A bit late now but Happy Easter everyone. Hope you all got lots of lovely easter eggs. šŸ‡
Think Easter Monday still counts as easter.

Oh and welcome to the 1st day of April. Really already.

Rainy here too. I don't know if it's because Easter is early this year but I feel like Spring is late. I'm nowhere near being able to put the horses on the summer grazing yet. I noticed someone nearby had put her horse on one of her rested paddocks last week. Lucky horse I thought, loads of grass. Rode past again a couple of days ago and the grass has virtually all gone, field is now cut up and a bit muddy.

My grass in the rested paddocks looks nice but it's just not growing properly yet. I could take the rain (I don't think it's been too bad here recently) if we had some warmth to go with it. Off to Google 'sun dance'.

I'm done with it. Got up today at 6, looked out the window and went back to bed.

Im stood here looking at various forecasts. Drizzling now. Trying to decide how much we are getting. To decide if im going to put some ewes out with lambs. 4 forecasts all show different. Tomorrow and Fri are wetter. So if they dont go out today it will be another 3 days. Arrgh F'in rain.

Sainsbury had some boxes of mandarins reduced to Ā£1.40, big box, bought one for the hens as they like a bit of variety but not keen. None of the horses were brave enough to try them, so Tintin donkey is doing a wonderful job being a meditteranean sort. His only complaint is that he should be in an orchard full of apples and citrus and picking his own.

newrider.com