Made contact with a trainer

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Charlie will be 3 in March. He's really well grown and chunky and my trainer said at my last lesson that she thought I should book him in for the first stages of starting quite soon.

I don't particularly want to have him ridden before 4, but I'd love to be able to do more with him in the way of long reining etc and I am not qualified to teach him that myself, so I think it would be good if he went through some early stage training too. I asked her who she would recommend, and I asked my trimmer, who's very well informed and well connected, who he would recommend.

They both said the same person: Jason Webb in Kent https://yourhorsemanship.com/about/. My RI had her own (very difficult) mare started there, and Trevor my trimmer knows several horses started by him. So I have contacted him.

I am sure he will be expensive, but Sarah says he is very effective in time terms so I hope I'll have enough saved for it (and for transport, and a new saddle if I need one). If you'd all be interested, I'll let you know how he follows up on my exploratory email and more about his approach as I learn it.

Oooo how exciting! He’s got a really good reputation.
I have to say it may seem a lot of money at the time but I never regretted what I spent having Jess professionally backed and later further brought on and the lessons with the trainer, it was a huge investment but I just wasn’t experienced or brave enough to get her through the challenges of first rides given how she is (her initial training was meant to be 6 weeks and ended up being 13, so there was no hope for me to have done it) and I ended up with a fantastic partner which I wholeheartedly believe is down to the initial work done with her.

Reactions: Trewsers
I was really lucky to find the guy who helped me, I went around a few yards, met trainers some of whom wouldn't touch with a bargepole as they were harsh. If i hadn't worked with him, i wouldn't have dreamed of backing Suze myself.

Reactions: Huggy
I never had any illusions about my ability to start a youngster. I am simply not a good enough rider - I can't be quietly, perfectly consistent in every circumstance.

As it happens Jason is too busy to see Charlie at all until next November! But his ex-apprentice Hamish Gillanders, who my RI has also met and worked with, can do 4 weeks with him in the Spring and 2 weeks later in the year which sounds perfect so I will take that forward. Hamish works at the same yard and so has all the facilities, and he's lightweight and very experienced with baby horses.

ETA he's also £50 a week cheaper which will be helpful!!

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
I never had any illusions about my ability to start a youngster. I am simply not a good enough rider - I can't be quietly, perfectly consistent in every circumstance.

As it happens Jason is too busy to see Charlie at all until next November! But his ex-apprentice Hamish Gillanders, who my RI has also met and worked with, can do 4 weeks with him in the Spring and 2 weeks later in the year which sounds perfect so I will take that forward. Hamish works at the same yard and so has all the facilities, and he's lightweight and very experienced with baby horses.

ETA he's also £50 a week cheaper which will be helpful!!
I wouldn't dream of trying to start riding Fleur, she is a totally different character. Suze is kind gentle and willing and slow on her feet, I feel safe with her. She doesn't panic, she stops and asks for instructionsI used to start youngsters when i was in my teens, but that's quite a long time ago...

Reactions: Huggy
I've seen a few of his online demos - I like him. I hope it works out well for you.:) Doh, sorry I just re-read and Jason won't be working with Charlie, but I'm sure his ex apprentice will be good.

I love Jason! I have seen him many times doing demo's at Your Horse Live. If it was me, I'd book him for next November and then turn Charlie away for next winter to process what he's been through. Then you can bring him back into work in the spring of 2022, when's he's 4. I'm a fan of later starting, purely because of their skeletal system at 3. But that's just my humble opinion

How exciting you are able to think of the future with Charlie!

I must confess, I'm not a big fan of Jason Webb but having said that, I know a fair few people that have sent their horses to him and most have been very happy with the foundation he's put on them and their start, so sure Charlie will have a good start with his apprentice.

Do keep us updated on his progress - it will be lovely to see.

newrider.com