Anyone got any thoughts?

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Sox has 3 scabs , both on his hinds. One was a rub by his boots on his left hind and two on his right hind. All are quite firmly in place apart from one. When you remove it dispite creams it returns. Sox has previously had LV while it isnt spreading i dont want it to trigger it.

Does he have to have boots on is my first question. If he does then you need to find some that don't rub and keep them scrupulously clean so there's no dirt, sweat, or sand to rub and also so any infection isn't being reintroduced to his skin. I used to use polo bandages on Jim as he was hard to fit boots to, they were soft and easy to wash on a highish temperature after each use but you do have to know how to put them on properly.

I wouldn't be trying to remove scabs, you end up tearing the skin at the edges and making them worse. Instead keep applying a suitable cream and wait for them to soften enough to come off by themselves.

If you're worried about it being the start of or triggering LV then speak to your vet tomorrow, it's definitely a case of prevention being better than cure.

Reactions: lauren123
I’m a convert for using MTG plus for scabby heels (since it cleared up what the vet couldn’t on Jess a few years ago), no scab picking I just apply it over the scabs and in a couple of days they heal and the scabs crumble off and it’s fab for prevention too.

Are you still using simple boots? As they’re leather a good clean and condition, especially inside at the heel will help reduce rubbing. And definitely make sure dirt and sand isn’t getting into them when you’re riding, socks under them or overreach boots on top can really help.

Reactions: lauren123
newrider.com