Alternatives to Sugar Beet????

Sarah Tricker

Does anyone know of an alternative to Sugar Beet that I can feed my horses during the colder months to keep the weight on but is NON HEATING?

Well there's always quality hay and lots of it. You could also try a probiotic, if the microflora in the hindgut aren't working properly a horse can be hard to keep weight on no matter what you feed.

Sugar beet isn't supposed to be heating but I know a couple of horses who do heat up on it. Their owners feed unmolassed sugar beet instead (it's white instead of black, looks odd) and that seems to solve the problem.

Amanda

I'm going over to Eurobeet this winter as the molasses in normal beet do not help Con one bit!

What about a non-heating conditioning mix? Or give the feed companies a ring, they've all got nutritionalists who'll give advice.

Hi badminton feeds do a unmolassed sugarbeet I feed it to my shetland as he had suffered from laminitus in the past I am told.It is usually the molasses that heats them up.I had trouble keeping weight on my Tb mare the vet said all his TB horses did well enough on Haylage alone with no hard feeds and were ridden 4 times a week!I like to give my horses alittle feed anyway Try baileys topline cubes no.4 they worked well with badminton alphalp(same as alpha a but cheaper), park mix(badminton) and sugarbeet and good quality hay or haylage.Barley rings r supposed to be good but it made my horse fizzy and stupid

hi ive just got a new type of sugarbeet its called speedy beet,it is non molasses and can be soaked and fed in ten mins. 2 mins if you use boiling water(obviously let it cool)it is micronized and flaked so easily digested,havent tried it yet will do 2morro

Sugar Beet

Im just starting Bruno on Alpha-beet. He needs to put weight on desparately as he came to us in a very poor way. He has been doing really well on Alpha-A and a fibremix 3 times a day as he is quite big (16.3hh) and needs the calories! Im going to replace some of the fibremix (Spillers Cool Mix) at lunch time with Alpha-beet and see how he gets on.

I really dont want him to heat up as he is a really laid back guy (obviously doesnt realise he is a Thoroughbred!)

Try using alfa-a and soya oil.The alfa-a is high in fibre and protein which is good for weight gain and muscle tone .Soya oil is a good form of calouries.But I have to admit the best feed i have come across for weight gain is equimins advance.I started my horse on it a month ago and he is filling out nicely.He is 30yrs old and was very underweight.This feed has improved his tempermant dramaticly he is much more relaxed and controllable when ridden.This feed may seem expensive ,but in the long run it's much cheaper! I paid £27.95 for 20kgs .He has been on this a month and i still have loads left,i feed this alongside alfa-a and unlimited supplies of haylage and he is looking fantastic! I have saved loads of money considering i was feeding 2kgs of baileys conditioning mix and 2kgs of pasture mix and 1kg of alfa-a and unlimited haylage.It is definately worth a go!!!!:D

newrider.com
Back