Ziggy's recovery stalled

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I'm not sure whether to expect this or not, but after his brush with laminitis on 26 April Ziggy's recovery seems to have stalled. For the last couple of days he has been stabled in the day with soaked hay and out at night on a tiny micro paddock. He is happily lifting all his feet, sound in the field at walk and trot (and full of himself), sound on the road in walk in a straight line, but persistently short striding in trot and hesitant on his right fore turning on the road. He has been like this for at least a week.

His digital pulse is pretty slight whenever I feel it, there's no heat in his feet or legs, but obviously he's still a bit sore on that foot. The vet says that turning on a hard surface is a great strain for the feet, and will pick up the slightest inflammation in his lamellae. Should I expect it to take a few weeks to go away? The laminitis was so severe last time he had it we were worried about pedal bone rotation, so I don't really know how to assess this much milder occurrence. Any experience very welcome.

I hate to say this but the severity of the symptoms isn't a reliable indicator of damage. Have you had x-rays done? At best you'll be reassured that there's no movement, and if there is you can then get him trimmed accordingly which might make a big difference to his comfort.

Having said that you aren't even looking at a fortnight, and that's nothing. Personally I'd be very wary of turning out this soon after an attack unless I had no choice.

Lami recovery is rarely talked about in terms of weeks, I def wouldn't be worrying (more than you already are) after just 2 weeks but it's true severity of symptoms is not always proportionate to damage done. Laminae don't heal (like a cut), once the damage is done you're waiting for new ones to grow in with the new foot, so it can be slow in terms recovery time. Bo had concussive lami and came back to work after 6 weeks, that was quick.

Thank you both @carthorse and @Jessey . Obviously my expectations were unrealistic!

The vet and my trimmer were both happy for him to be out on restricted turnout - his paddock is about 20 feet long and wide. I didn't realise that the laminae can't heal, that's very helpful - I'll not plan to return him to any kind of work any time soon.

Thank you both @carthorse and @Jessey . Obviously my expectations were unrealistic!

The vet and my trimmer were both happy for him to be out on restricted turnout - his paddock is about 20 feet long and wide. I didn't realise that the laminae can't heal, that's very helpful - I'll not plan to return him to any kind of work any time soon.
I think while it is active laminitis (and/or they are on pain meds) then movement needs to be restricted to prevent further damage (laminae are like Velcro and get peeled apart) but once it has subsided and is inactive (normally a few days after the trigger has been removed) then I think there is a real need for controlled, free choice, movement (as in pottering about in a small paddock not back to full normal work :)) as that helps increase the blood flow to the foot and therefore aids removal of toxins and helps growing in a new strong foot :)

Last edited:
There are so many different opinions on that though Jessey, for instance the Laminitis Clinic recommend a month's box rest after pulses have reduced to normal & the horse is sound. I would say that if Ziggy is short striding in trot then he isn't sound yet, that he's probably still lame on both fores, and that hesitant turning right on the hard also suggests a problem still. I know in those circumstances my farrier wouldn't be happy with turnout, and neither would I. But you do what you think is right & hope for the best.

Reactions: Jessey
There are so many different opinions on that though Jessey, for instance the Laminitis Clinic recommend a month's box rest after pulses have reduced to normal & the horse is sound. I would say that if Ziggy is short striding in trot then he isn't sound yet, that he's probably still lame on both fores, and that hesitant turning right on the hard also suggests a problem still. I know in those circumstances my farrier wouldn't be happy with turnout, and neither would I. But you do what you think is right & hope for the best.
There are so many different points of view on it for sure, it is a mine field, you def have to make your own judgement and decisions and do what you think is best :)

Reactions: carthorse
Oh I do love how we can have different views & not get into arguments :) . Such a lovely forum with so many wonderful members.

Reactions: Jessey
I think while it is active laminitis then movement needs to be restricted to prevent further damage (laminae are like Velcro and get peeled apart) but once it has subsided and is inactive (normally a few days after the trigger has been removed) then I think there is a real need for controlled, free choice, movement (as in pottering about in a small paddock not back to full normal work :)) as that helps increase the blood flow to the foot and therefore aids removal of toxins and helps growing in a new strong foot :)

This is definitely what my trimmer thinks. My vet is more conservative but suggested a week on box rest for every day he was sore, sore meaning visibly lame in the field. This was one day - he was off bute on day 2 and field sound. I kept him in for 10 days before starting turnout, and my vet confirmed that sore on turns on a hard surface didn't count as "sore" in her book. So I tried to follow all the advice I was given. He can choose whether to stand on a hard surface, on the grass (at night time) or on his deep bed, and he chooses his bed a lot more than he normally would.

Thank you all for being so measured. I think in some Other Places I would have been pilloried.

Reactions: sophie33 and Jessey
newrider.com