Ziggy vs grazing muzzle

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I had 10 minutes to spare after feeding the horses today so spent it standing in the sun watching Ziggy fighting with his grazing muzzle (a Shires Comfort, held on by strong Velcro). Here's his repertoire:

1. Bang it on the ground. No result
  2. Hurry to the shelter, try to scrape it off on the gate. No result
  3. Gallop about angrily, waving head in air. No result
  4. Roll on the ground, scrubbing muzzle into the grass. Loosened Velcro, but no result
  5. Go up to Mattie and encourage him to play the "gelding I'll nip your face I will I will I will" game so he can pull the muzzle off. No result, despite valiant attempts by Mattie
  6. Stand very still and scratch with a hind hoof at the Velcro. I really thought he deserved to have this one work, but alas he lacks a little dexterity in the hoof department and you really need an opposable thumb to get to grips with the Velcro. No result

No luck for him this time. However, one night in two he manages to get out of it, so it's even stevens to Ziggy and Grazing Muzzle at present. I think he's quite creative!

:giggle: You should have recorded it!

Rubic used to rub her nose along the ground until the strap lengthened enough for her to get her nose out. I'd often come up and find her walking around with the muzzle hanging round her neck. I had to stitch an extra strap to stop that...
405177_10150810874279095_17045235_n.jpg

Awh you gotta give him full marks for trying to hard though! And I'm sorry, I would have laughed if he'd fallen over in his efforts to use his hind hoof to pull it off. Poor toot, his belly will be empty, what a bad owner you are!:tongue:

I know I am such a cruel mother:giggle: That one rubbed her so I now have a Shires one with fleece round it and it is a slightly better fit on her but I think I'm going to have to adapt it in the same way for spring!

The only thing that makes Bens muzzle stay on is by putting a leather headcollar over the top. He is funny trying to get it off and at first would try everything, but after a while seemed to accept it.

:giggle: You should have recorded it!

Rubic used to rub her nose along the ground until the strap lengthened enough for her to get her nose out. I'd often come up and find her walking around with the muzzle hanging round her neck. I had to stitch an extra strap to stop that...
405177_10150810874279095_17045235_n.jpg

I have just laughed at this pic..that expression is priceless :giggle::giggle:

Ziggy's is the Shires comfort with sheepskin. It seems to be fairly comfortable but it always makes him angry!

Ah that is the one we have! She'd not had it on though, I bought it just before she injured herself!

ETA I think any muzzle would make Rubic angry!!!

newrider.com