Your Thoughts on the new Back Protector

newforest

Mar 15, 2008

For children or adults.
Not for cross country
Its for those who don't want to wear a full one, it just protects your back. I guess when jumping you could land on your back?

They’re not new. They are literally just to protect the mid spine, which is fine if that’s all you want to minimise injury to. I guess they’re good for something discreet under a show jacket but it’s definitely a compromise on the protection it gives.

I’m not a fan of body protectors in general (grew up riding without them and feel too restricted in one) but I’ll keep using my air vest, I feel that gives better protection without being restrictive and the type of riding I do a rotational fall is highly unlikely.

In my opinion it does not provide enough protection for a more advanced rider, this is an good choice for someone who only rides occasionally on a trusted horse. Personally I'm not a big fan of this product.

I used to see people with bp over the show jacket. What's the big deal in needing to be discreet.
I break zips, so thats under pressure?

I don't think it particually matters at lower levels, but at higher levels it wouldn't be smart enough to have a BP over the top.

The bp is always supposed to go over ones base layer and under ones jacket.

I always wear a level 3 bp when riding. Back only would not do for me.
When I fell last January, for the first time ever I landed on or rolled onto my side. My bp was over a sweater because it was winter and I have put on weight during Covid lockdown. My bp only just met down the side and my elbow poked into my ribs. Since then I have tried to lose some weight and taken care that the sides of the bp overlap.

I don't think it particually matters at lower levels, but at higher levels it wouldn't be smart enough to have a BP over the top.
The protection worn over the top is an air jacket, not a bp. I doubt if any safety wear would be ruled out in a competition setting. The same goes for BHS exams.

I have seen pics of children hunting with the bp over their winter tweed jacket. This is not right.

I guess I'm the market they're aiming at since I don't wear a BP, but there's nothing in that design that tempts me to try it.

The bp is always supposed to go over ones base layer and under ones jacket.
I have seen plenty of BP's over show jackets at low level events. A BP wouldn't be ruled out, but once its advanced/GP etc. and they are wearing tails I doubt very much anyone would ruin the look with a bulky BP.

To me that wouldn't be worth the cost. Yes, I know the spine and spinal cord are hugely important, but when you fall off you also have two sides and a front to land on, so the chances of it protecting your back from impact are already at 25%... or 33.33% because landing splat on your front, let's be honest, is probably rare.

You know that 10 years ago I was severely injured whilst wearing my Racesafe, so since then I've had little faith in BP's. Much prefer air jackets.... my fall last year was pretty painless wearing my HitAir.... apart from hitting the ground bum first. Even with all my *cough* natural padding, it still jarred my lower back, your seat is an area that can never be protected so I just say I was lucky not to fracture my coccyx 🤷‍♀️

True. I fractured a vertebrae whilst wearing a BP, having landed on my feet and fell forwards onto my knees then hands, so definitely not a guaranteed preventer.

My friend has this. You can’t see it under clothes which is why she bought it. I personally don’t see how it can offer any protection unless you land flat on your back and even then I’m not convinced. However it gives her confidence when she is wearing it.

I think they could be useful, in the right circumstances.

I'm not a fan of wearing a body protector personally so wouldn't be for me. Who knows if that will change in the future but for now, there's no way I'd find a BP comfortable for the length of time I'd be wearing it for - this does look more lightweight though.

But if it makes someone feel safer, it can't be a bad thing :)

Last edited:
I guess some people find the bp too restrictive. I found that I forgot I was wearing it.
What puts me off the back one is will it stay put or twist round and cause more issues, be useless.

Why is it wrong to see children hunting in body protectors.?

I guess some people find the bp too restrictive. I found that I forgot I was wearing it.
What puts me off the back one is will it stay put or twist round and cause more issues, be useless.

It's not just the restrictive part for me but personally I ride for quite long periods of time & I find them hot and sweat inducing in summer, particularly if I'm wearing it on top of a sleeveless or vest top - it just sticks to my skin & makes me feel fairly gross. I feel the same about high viz tabards over a vest top though in the summer so can't wear one of those either 🤣

I just can't imagine wearing one for hours and hours on end on a summer's day and mine is fairly unrestrictive and light.

It's not just the restrictive part for me but personally I ride for quite long periods of time & I find them hot and sweat inducing in summer, particularly if I'm wearing it on top of a sleeveless or vest top - it just sticks to my skin & makes me feel fairly gross. I feel the same about high viz tabards over a vest top though in the summer so can't wear one of those either 🤣

I just can't imagine wearing one for hours and hours on end on a summer's day and mine is fairly unrestrictive and light.
I have one of those base layer things for when it's really warm.
It's a cool feeling fabric.
But if you're not comfy you will fiddle and not enjoy the ride so no good.
The cob hates wool, and she fiddles with her teeth on your direction.

I always ride in a body protector and don't tell I am wearing it anymore. I don't see the point in wearing one unless it protects your sides and ribs properly.

Not wrong. But wrong to see bps worn over the tweed jacket. BPs should be over your base layer and fit properly at the shoulders. This is so they dont ride up in a fall and injure your neck or chin. Then ones jacket goes on top of the bp. Apart from anything else this means I can wear the same bp in both summer and winter.

The reason I am so clued up on safety stuff is that when we married I promised not to ride, due to the high risk. After 9.11 when going to London became a risk in itself, my OH agreed I could ride but always with high class protection. That meant a hat d e signed for eventing cross country and a bp when hacking.

newrider.com