your personal best and worst experience

lynnemh

Nov 26, 2008
i have spent a day thinking about my personal best and worst experiences as a driver, and just wondered about everyone elses? i havent yet decided mine, (will post when i do) but thought it would be fun to have a thread on the subject for everyone, not just about competion, this is on a personal level too, and in all disiplines. what has been your most personally uplifting experience and what has been your most abject low? and just for fun; i'd like to think everyone could post on this with out being judged.

My worst is easy. I got tipped out of the cart during a "pas de deux" display at a local festival, when the well practised, but ambitious, routine suddenly went pear shaped. The indignity was bad enough, but I also messed up my side and was in (varying degrees of) pain for three months.

My best would probably be earlier at the same festival when I drove a pair of potentially very excited shetlands in the costumed procession, with flags and banners waving, a band just behind us, town crier in front, through cheering crowds including a bouncy castle. We had to stay in walk - and we did!!! (just about) This was a year ago.

A close runner up would be a few weeks ago when I drove Frances' and Wally's Jackson in their indoor school. He is wonderful. Great paces and presence, and terrific communication. I just didn't want to stop:)

only in driving...

best was racing traffic out with my dad and ernie most saturday mornings- i had the reins and we would go so fast- the most fun, was the highlight of my week then we would go to market aswell afterwards :D amazing feeling, been in control of all that power (well when i say in control, ernie took himself if im honest with myself)

worst, i was tipped out of the cart once in a muddy field when we had to take a detour. it wasnt that bad though :)

i'm still thinking about mine, as there have been a few of each! but i think probably my lowest moment was as a groom at a hunters livery, in the 70s, when i was sent home from morning exercise by the boss, because he said the horse i was riding kept getting too close to his horses rump. i really felt humiliated. my best moment was probably when i drove across a tractor bridge over a motorway; very narrow single track, with mesh waist high see-through sides. ( i didnt know it was there- one minute i was asking what that noise was, and the next, because of a slope upwards which was hiding it from view, it was just THERE!) i hate hieghts, (i dont even like to stand on a chair to change a lightbulb) and the noise was deafening, but the owner of the horse said it would be okay, and i knew they wouldnt put thier horse and our lives at risk, so i just focused ahead as if i was going over a big jump, and went for it, but about a third of the way across, i felt so proud of doing it, i wanted to stop and wave, and take a bow (pathetic, i know!) but, even to this day, i feel a sense of accomplishment in a personal way, even though i know the horse had probably done it a hundred times before.

Gosh

A hard one....... the most rewarding competitvely -coming 2nd in a very FAST!! race with a returned to fitness Mare - when the bookies gave me 33/1the following week they put me at 3/1 Ha ha ha! the dirty*.......

when my 2 filly foals were born... my heart sang and has never stopped!:):):):D

worst moment whenever a horse I know (or knew) dies, such a loss of a friend.

Happy moment saying hello to my boys and girls each day!:)

newrider.com