Your most embarrassing fall?

diamonddogs

Apr 14, 2008
Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho
I managed to fall off today. :eek:

Kels was stationary. :eek:

I swear I checked the girth before I led her out of the stable. She stood stock still to let me get on and when I reached the point of no return the saddle slipped all the way round. I landed on my back and banged the back of my head on the ground (a good reason for ALWAYS wearing your hat, even if your just having a sit). I looked up to see one very confused horse looking down at me.

So can anyone beat falling off a stationary horse?

I've done exactly the same as you but luckily didn't fall!

I fell off the RS's safest horse. We were trotting in the school when we went to turn down the centre line and she sort of tripped and her shoulder went down and I fell off.

I was the laughing stock of the RS as no one ever falls of Molly!!

I fell off at a slow plod, just making our way back to the yard, been out about two hours, just chatting to my daughter who was slightly in front on her pone.....and just rolled off, no idea how or why....don't know what was funnier falling off or trying to get back on :redface:

The fall wasn't embarrassing, could have been quite bad actually, but walking back along a busy summer beach (well, busy for Scotland! So a good few picnickers on the dunes and dog walkers) following the RS horse who had galloped off in the other direction along with the three other riders trying to catch said loose horse, was rather mortifying!!! And having to tell everyone I met along the way that I was fine, I had a soft landing! Oh dear! I practically jumped back on that horse, there was no way I was walking home!

When I was 12 and had borrowed a pony for the summer :skip:

Trotting in the field, a sloping field, we turned a corner and I just slid off the downhill shoulder. No rush, it took some time, but there I went, kerflop!

:redface:

I've fallen stationery too! I'd just got a new saddle and the cantle was a lot higher than my old one so I flung myself forward to get my leg over the cantle a bit too enthusiastically and flopped off head first! :redface:

Another embarrassing fall was when I was on a hack and got to a point on a lane where they were shooting, pony was fine with the guns surprisingly but then we met the beaters and she spooked, cue me in beige jods falling off landing on my bum in a very muddy puddle in front of the beaters! who of course were all young lads :redface:

I've fallen off a stationery horse TWICE.

Once at my RS after I had been on a FreeRein holiday. I had been riding a 14.2 pony on my holiday and came back for my first lesson on a 17.2 horse. I got off and I expected the floor to be closer than it was. I just fell right on my bum. My RI and all the kids getting ready for the next class killed themselves laughing.

On Izzy I did the same thing - but don't even know what happened, my legs just didn't seem to stand up. It was after a lesson and I was preparing for Trec the next day. I had just been saying 'I just hope we can finish the course without me falling off.' So embarrassing.:bounce:

me and abby were jumping 4 foot clear rounds. Then i came off over the only just off the floor warm up jump what the kiddies were jumping. Very embarrassing :help::cry::biggrin:

I was going up towards a log in the woods. My 3 new riding friends had just gone over and were stood watching and waiting the other side. Off we go and I think "hope Rhia can do this, we haven't done anything like this before (not the biggest jumper and had only owned her a few weeks) she picked up on my vibes and stopped dead. I went flying over her head and the jump and landed on my feet with the reins in my hand. Everybody burst out laughing. :biggrin:

Years ago I used to ride a little 11.3 welsh A (little b*gger but great fun!), we were trotting round with me taking no notice of what we were doing or where we were going but he scooted forward a few strides - I lost my stirrups feet came over my head and backward roly poly'd off!!!!

.....some of these stories are really making me laugh!!!!

I fell off the mounting block before I even managed to get on Joy :redcarded:

When I first got Joy she wouldn't stand to be mounted, the result of being at a RS where they held the horse for you to get on. Anyway I went through the process of training her and she's brill now, I don't even hold her reins when getting on and she places herself exactly next to the mounting block.

It was whilst I was training her that I fell. She'd got the hang of the mounting block but I didn't have enough faith in her at that time. For some reason I was looking down at her front legs (probably to make sure she was stood balanced and wouldn't move due to being unbalanced) and literally completely missed the stirup and fell down off the mounting block and landed under her neck!

Let's just say that Joy does the amazed look very well and left me in doubt doubt that she was confused as to why I would want to be lying on the floor in front of her rather than sat on her :redface:

I one fell off of an RS horse 3 times in 1 half hour lesson..... I was trying to jump a sec D, Morgan, but he kept running out and dropping his shoulder. RI said we wouldn't stop until we got him over the jump (a tenny weeny cross pole...). I was also being watched by a group of kids.... Embarrassing isn't the word :yellowcarded:

RS horse goes nice bouncy bouncy towards a fence then stops abruptly just as it should jump. I slide forwards out of the saddle trying to hold on by gripping legs tightly to the saddle. It doesn't work and I slide up the horses neck to the point my nose is almost between its ears and to add insult to injury I take a major cramp in both calfs.

All is not lost though as I am propped on the horses neck so I can just push myself back onto the saddle. At this point the horse slowly, very slowly, drops its head to the floor and I slide unceremoniously to the ground.

someone went to give me a leg up onto a 12hh pony .. forgetting it wasn't my usual 15"2 & I went straight over the other side & landed with a bump :redface::redcarded:

RS horse goes nice bouncy bouncy towards a fence then stops abruptly just as it should jump. I slide forwards out of the saddle trying to hold on by gripping legs tightly to the saddle. It doesn't work and I slide up the horses neck to the point my nose is almost between its ears and to add insult to injury I take a major cramp in both calfs.

All is not lost though as I am propped on the horses neck so I can just push myself back onto the saddle. At this point the horse slowly, very slowly, drops its head to the floor and I slide unceremoniously to the ground.

That's got to be one of the funniest stories I've heard!!!!

I've had a few embarrassing falls, the worst probably being when I was in the USA and we'd gone out on an all day trail ride. We'd led the horses down a sleep slope but stopped just before the bottom to use the hill to our advantage to get back on.

Foot in stirrup, swing leg over, sit in saddle..... then realise I'm sat on the floor next to horse's front leg. Horse didn't move a muscle, stood perfectly still but the lady I was out with (who was my 'host Mom' for my gap year) couldn't help me back on for ages as she couldn't stop laughing. For several days!

My most humiliating fall was when I was 17. Riding school gymkhana. A relay. Team of four. You got on whatever horse was next, and I got a little 12.2 with short stirrups. Quickly put my foot in the stirrup, swung up to mount and just continued on over the pony to land the other side. It would of been funny if I wasnt in so much pain. :unsure:

mine was aged 14 walking through a small ford and the girth magically undid, i slipped round hung upside for second before dropping into freezing cold water, wearing white jods and bright pink knickers :-/

my friends laughed at me the whole 3 miles home!

Either falling off 7 times in one jumping lesson when I was about 13 I think. That was quite embarrassing the pony just kept stopping after the jump no matter what.

Or falling off my old mare out hacking when I was 14. Instructors husband was taking out a hack from the riding school I kept her at and worked at. We were going up a steep hill in a woods, they all set off to canter as I was still in a muddy bit at the bottom. So my horse lept out the mud and set off broncing up the hill, I came flying off and apparantly all my friend heard was me swearing very loudly then walking up the hill horse in hand. The most embarrassing part though was instructors OH getting off to make sure I was ok.

Or age 15 falling off from walk going through the village when my current pony spooked at a pigeon flying on to a wall just as my history teacher drove past.

Most of my falls tend to be embarrassing!

newrider.com