Your favourite Horsey Head/Bodyshot?

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
Now it is coming up to Christmas there have been loads of posts on FB and the likes about the "perfect present". Lots of artists doing pet portraits etc and I was just thinking how nice it would be to have a good headshot of Rubic painted and hung up in my flat. I started flicking through some of my photos and couldn't really find one that I thought would make a good portrait of her, some of my favourite photos of her are front- or slightly side-on and not a true side profile. I've got some nice ones of her ridden and a few full body ones in the field but none are "right" for a portrait. I think that means I need to take more photos!!!:giggle: I do quite like the photo in my avatar as it captures us both perfectly (me looking at her lovingly while she eats!)

Anyway do you have a favourite photo of your horse you'd quite like blown up or painted/drawn for your wall? Show me them:biggrin:

I have loads of photos, my camera is almost glued to my eyeball :D ,but I don't really have anything that I would get blown up, she doesn't always photo well with the eye. By that I mean she looks totally different in the flesh and the eye if caught wrong makes her look a moody madam! The width doesn't come over in pics either.

This is a good example of her- food.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384902132594.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384902132594.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 16
I think that is what happens to Rubic! Sometimes she just looks grumpy and I have to say when I think "oh that'd be a good shot" I get my camera/phone out and she moves, usually towards me to see if what I just took out my pocket was food!:banghead:

I've had to take lots and lots of pictures to get good ones of my girl, and I still don't have any I'd get a portrait made of. My new fave headshot is of her the other night. First time in a stall and making faces through the window at me.
Funny, but not worthy of a painting!

I have a few other favorites too.

Last edited:
We always wanted a professional photo doing of Joe and Storm - rather than a drawing or painting. Just never got around to getting it done.
My mum is an artist and has painted lots of horses over the years - but none of mine! tho she did do a black n white pencil drawing of Joe but claims it wasn't really meant to be him! (Sure looks like him to me!!)

:giggle: Jeni.O I like that headshot!

Oh well it seems I'm not alone then! I do the odd horsey drawing. I used to draw the front covers of magazines when I was younger maybe I should just take some photos and make my own one of Rubic! :tongue:

I rarely get a good piccy of Dolly - no matter how good it looks in the viewfinder by the time it has taken it she has turned into a donkey with serious intelligence issues! This one I quite like as she has her ears forward and it has just about missed her flapping lip thing that she always does when tacked up!:giggle:

Now I am not supposed to know about this but a friend is painting a portrait of Mac for OH to give me for Christmas. It was her suggestion but OH decided to tell me so I could pick a photo to give her to use. She is not a horse person so I am fairly sure she won't see this and find me out :redface: This is the photo I have chosen - as far as I know she is going to take just Mac's head and part of his neck as this will be similar to a portrait I have of Chester but facing the opposite way.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 13
newrider.com