Young horse leaning on lunge

Dannii5691

Owned by Ponies!
Nov 16, 2009
I have started doing some gentle lunging with jazz in preparation for him being backed in the spring. He can pick up walk trot and canter and come back down again but he leans terribly on the lunge. I guess he's doing this for balance however I think it's became slightly habit as he does it wether he's on the largest the circle can be just in walk or a smaller one.

I don't particually want to interfear with his (lovely soft) mouth, so use a head collar as having such a dinky head I can't get a lunge caveson to fit. He is going through a gangly stage ATM but is going to be a full up solid little man and already has the strength behind him, I don't want to be battling!

Any ideas guys

I had this problem with Zoora a few weeks back. All I did was tighten the side rein opposite to the one he was leaning on and this picked him up a bit and told him to stop leaning in. Didn't take long for him to learn and he lunged properly after that. Your horse must have a tiny head for a cavesson not to fit, is it a shetland or something? Sorry don't know the story here!

Will give 2 lines a go PFB. He doesn't like free schooling as it's like I'm sending him away and he loves tO please. He has a brilliant recall I can send him away and he begs to come back like a dog!

newrider.com