You will need a magnifying glass

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I think these little fledglings are baby blackbirds. I have been feeding the parents since they arrived. The babies are already hopping about in front of me
One of these might be the baby Robin. (unless the robin is blind and fed one of these, it looked like one of these 😍

MOV_1214_2779.jpg
MOV_1214_6862.jpg
MOV_1215_3603.jpg

I now think these are baby Robins.

I sadly found a dead female blackbird today. What animal just bites the head off a bird and leaves the rest?
Another bird - that is how they fight to kill.

I would imagine your fledglings are blackbirds and the mom was fighting to the death to protect them. She either survived or is the one who was beheaded😨

• Wow
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Omg I had no idea a bird could bite another's head off..
I have had the misfortune to see one or two bird fights — they are really vicious and yes, head pecking to the death is what they do😱😱

The fights I have seen have been within the same species, which is why it is likely the beheaded bird @newforest found was some how connected to the fledglings.

That said, forgive me for injecting some dark humor into this BUT my favorite thing when watching the bird feeder is when the Woodpeckers come to eat and those sorry Cowbirds converge to eat, not letting any of the songbirds eat.

The Cowbirds scatter because the Woodpecker will peck their heads in a skinny minute if they don’t get out of the way👍😎👍😎. The Woodpeckers won’t bother any other bird — just the Cowbirds👍👍

I also have a couple of Blue Jays and have learned they get a bad rap - they don’t ever bother anyone either.

The bird feeder is right outside my Feng Shui window, I have really got a bird education since I retired and have time to observe them😍😍

I love baby birds - lollol.

That does look like a young Robin, or it might also be a House Wren but theIr beaks are different. I’m leaning toward a Robin, the more I look at your foto; yours is a bit chubbier built than a Wren😍😍

Isn‘t it amazing how fast they grow and leave the nest🐥🐥

726D0FD6-E7F6-4B31-BC69-8480CF481BA7.jpeg

• Love
Just dug out my old camera, lots easier to take photos of the birds. Funny that 😂

This chap needs a name as he's getting very cheeky looking for the peanuts, that are there for the squirrels!
The female won't land, but it's nearby.
I didn't want to encourage these, however if he's full up from here, he's not eating baby birds.

_20220609_113507.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
We have a lot of magpies at this house - that's what worried me about our baby in the garden. I once saw 4 magpies ripping into a pigeon - he was too far gone to step in and would have died anyway I think. Horrid.:confused:

• Wow
Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com