You Know What They Say About Comments. Updated-photo

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
There is always going to be one isn't there.

Ok i am not a showing person, but i have been given the opportunity to compete the cob. I have looked at the classes and talked myself into the inhand ones.
All ok, i had even thought i could scrape together a presentable outfit, green tweed probably isn't the "correct" colour

I was doing this for our benefit and that other word-fun.

So i am a bit deflated by being told "i wouldn't bother she has a blue eye, you
won't get placed"
Its not about getting placed, but of course that's now worrying me. She does have a blue eye and yes i may get marked down i don't know. Its low key local fun level.
I won't get asked to leave surely?

Support needed.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think for a minute you'd be asked to leave! Goodness me, I've helped out at numerous local shows on the yard we were on, and visited quite a few others and I have seen all kinds of horses, shapes and sizes. The cob on one yard that I had my first few lessons on was shown also. It may be questioned at higher levels? But I don't think it would matter locally low key.

What a load of rubbish NF, whoever made a comment like that?

You go for it and have fun.

Don't listen to silly comments like that, if I did I would never get out of bed in the morning

Total rubbish, I used to have a coloured cob on loan with a blue eye and we got placed almost every time out at local showing! Sometimes he did get marked a little lower because of it but that's the nature of showing. You have your basic criteria for the class but it's all judge's opinion at the end of the day.

One show I did he was placed higher because of his eye! The judge absolutely adored him and kept commenting how a blue eye is one marking that theives can't disguise! :giggle:

Last edited:
Firstly you a doing it for fun, secondly you are doing low level stuff.

Whether or not the blue eye would cause you to be marked down doesn't matter at that level, a lot of the people who go to low level stuff have incorrect outfits, ponies not quite turned out correctly, but the majority f them go song for the experience and to have fun.

Those more serious about it have the opportunities to go to slightly higher level shows and low level showing is a way to gain experience learn what is right or wrong and get an enjoyable start into showing.

They are fun classes. One is called Winter Woolies, well she is hairy in her winter outfit.

I have no idea about the blue eye (I think they're wonderful), but I'll just echo what everyone else said: it's for fun, go along and enjoy it. Tweed is perfect for showing cobs, by the way, whether green, blue or brown.

Unless fun has suddenly become incredibly elitest I would suggest the person who told you this is most likely wrong.

And they need to look up the meaning of fun in a dictionary.

People and their mindless idiotic comments really get my !!
This is one if my biggest hates
Clearly whoever this was needs to get a grip and a life.. get out there and have fun,that's just wonderful, and bugger what know it alls ( who clearly DOESN'T!!) say- your cob sounds beautiful and you will look fab I'm sure in whatever you wear... Don't let pessimistic twerps rain on your parade!!!! Go you and cobby x

Ignore the buffers and go and enjoy yourself,tilly is gorgeou and even more so with her blue eye!I love them!I had a little mare cob with a blue eye and took her to some of the local shows and we had a ball got her out and about and that was the main thing.my last horse mystique had bad scars on her hind leg from an injury and my sharer who was a lovely girl wanted to show her in the coloured classes she was appaloosa and she came to me in tears as one of the busy bodies on the yard who didn't know how to have fun told her not too as was pointless because of her scars!she ended up doing it and anyway had alot of fun really enjoyed herself and got best turnout,its about fun not prizes which is what a lot of horse owners don't seem to understand.you go and enjoy yourself with your beautiful little blue eyed girl :)

This person who told you not to bother, she wouldn't be by any chance worried that your blue eyed beauty may steal the show? Just a thought.
You go and have fun you will look amazing in your green tweed and Tilly will look gorgeous with her blue eye.
Blue eyes are special eyes, and Tilly is a special coblet x

I am still going, it just knocked me a bit because its something i haven't done much of.

There are 4 classes i could do, but she may be too tired. I will enter on the day anyway. (Hope its not freezing!)

I respect showing for some is serious and the judge is looking for you to present your horse at its best. This is a little open day with tiny horse and dog show.

Those people are probably either county show folk or they think they are. Some judges will over look a blue eye some wont, at the end of the day I have yet to meet a horse with perfect conformation, in fact seen many an HOYS/OLYMPIA qualified horse who i have thought 'were the judges blind!!! :eek:

Have fun :smile:

Update

This is green tweed. Is this ok or should i wear my blue stock shirt with stock? If so what colour stock?

2013-01-25171503-1.jpg

'key local fun level' often means the judges are basically random people who're members of the RC or riding instructors or pony club bods ... i'm yet to come across many listed judges who actually know what they're judging so a blue eye should be the least of your worries :D

if they put you last, so what? showing (esp those 'fun' little local shows) are so subjective ....

and remember: you'll always be the one taking THE BEST horse home after the show :D

your tweed looks awesome!

newrider.com