You CAN teach an old horse new tricks!!!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
My old Rosie has been retired/semi-retired for a few years now....i have had her 6 years, shes about 24 years old now, but doing VERY well for her age. The first year i used to hack her solo, albeit hard work (think DEAD to the leg on the way out and GALLOP home on way back)....then for years only went in company and would ONLY follow....then 'retired' pretty much for the last year. Then in the last 4 years if i ever tried to go solo we would have EXTREME napping...think spinning, bucking, reversing...pretty much it all!!

Anyway, shes getting bored and the vet suggested keeping her ticking over with gentle exercise could help.....sooooo with the fact that she would only be able to do short hacks in walk and trot only i figured this wont be able to be done in company as no-one would want to do that!

so for about 6 weeks i led her out in-hand 2-3 times a week either on my own or with another pony (but Rosie was MADE to always LEAD)....then last week my friend rode rosie off the yard around the little 20 min loop with me walking, but i walked BEHIND....no real napping from Rosie to be honest, but where she thought about it i used my rope and 'shooed' her on...worked perfect!

and then since those two little hacks with me following on the ground we have been for 3 SOLO hacks!!! two the same loop we always walk, and then today the opposite way (which is new to her) and we had NO NAPPING AT ALL!!! she does walk slow but i barely have to use my legs really compared to years ago!

cant you tell i am OVER the moon with this! i want to be doing this with her twice a week for as long as i can, its so nice to get to spend time together again :)

oh and ear shot!! (plus bum shot to prove we were solo! lol)

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 20
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 21
Brilliant - just goes to show how much ey can learn and take on board even at an older age

How funny, but BRILLIANT.....she is obviously enjoying being brought back into work and getting out and about.........fabulous:biggrin:

its official - its not a fluke! We are still going out solo :)

i am trying to be consistent, with going out solo for less than 30 mins twice a week.

This morning i went for an early ride around the fields before work, took her another route that i havent previously led her in-hand around, and it was wonderful! i know that sounds super gay, it was sunny but not too hot, the birds were out, i had music playing on my iphone (through the speakers though as i didnt have my headphones!), and i barely had to use my legs :bounce: i am sure Rosie was enjoying the music too - although i had to keep skipping slow songs as she doesnt require encouragement to go slow HAHA, im sure she enjoyed the Yeah Yeah Yeah Song by the Flaming Lips as she sped up for that one lol!!

she is getting more consistent in her speed too, going out is obviously slower as that is her way, but no jogging on the way home like it used to be. Her trot is just so lovely and springy compared to Moet and Majors, which is good as we do not intend on ever cantering again, so i am quite happy with the ocassional little trot :playfull:

I think i love her all over again :) and its our 6 year anniversary coming up!

newrider.com