Yet another weight question

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Just been reading an article (must stop this lol) about connies and it said they were capable of carrying up to 11 stone. I would have said they could manage more but now am not so sure:unsure: Surely a balanced rider in walk and a bit of trot say weighing 11.5 would not be a problem? Hmmm.

Hmmm.... a rather conservative guesstimate, possibly one of the smaller types but I would think a larger Connie would easily carry that!

Ziggy is a Connie (unpapered). He has more than 8.5" of bone. He was sold to me as ok to carry up to 13 stone, which I think is a bit high, but my 12 stone + RI rides him and he doesn't even seem to know she's there.

He was quite capable of tanking off with me when I weighed 11 stone.

Look at that chest! As a lady who met him said to me, "Gosh what a strong looking boy, he would carry any weight!"

Ooohhh Jane - Ziggy is truly gorgeous!!! I love that picture - and yes he does look strong. My Stormy is not exactly petite - just that the article I read made me think.

Cherie is not a Connamara but she has a similar build. At one time (for quite a long time) I weighed almost 13 stone and her saddle weighs 2 stone total 15 stone. She carried me with ease. Galloped and small jumps or occasional sponsered rides (15 miles) with no sign of flagging. Never showed any sign of stress.

I worried about my weight constantly but I don't think it bothered her at all.

I am much trimmer these days (around 9 stone saddle still 2 stone). I find my riding has improved since I have lost weight. I can sit much deeper in the saddle and feel better balanced and more flexible.

I think it depends on how the person rides and the weight and position the saddle puts them in. Also the fitness of the animal, muscle development etc.
Someone worked it out once how our weight on them equates to us with a back pack. By comparison it meant we weren't carrying that much.

11.5 stone is roughly 3 bags of feed, however a rider wouldn't sit like 3 bags of feed.

Last edited:
See I don't really get that a rider who is for instance two stone, would ride lighter.

They are two stone. They may be balanced or unbalanced, but they are still two stone. A balanced two stone will be much easier to carry, but they are still the same weight.

I am not sure as far as weights and horses go. I was convinced at 9.5 stone that I needed a 16.3 horse with bone when I was horse shopping. My friends 14.2 anglo arab carried me quite happily and I did not have many brakes when we went on a fun ride and she was in her 20's! I finally settled on a medium weight 15.3.

Well see, I need absolutely need a full Irish Draught, but I have had to settle for an unregistered Connie and he seems to do the job :wink:

I bought my baby connie knowing it was an incentive to reduce my weight. I think however they are well up to at least 12/13 stone if not more. A true connie will have a lot of bone and substance, look at the Irish bred ones not the almost show pony types.

Jane I love Ziggy, I suspect however he is has some ID in him as he is a very similar build to an IDxConnie we have!! My Connie is an old fashioned substantial type but still a lot less bone than his .

Jane I love Ziggy, I suspect however he is has some ID in him as he is a very similar build to an IDxConnie we have!! My Connie is an old fashioned substantial type but still a lot less bone than his .

You mean I have my ID after all???!!!

Calloo Callay! :skip::bounce::dance:

Ziggy this is my Connie ( albeit at 4, she is a lot more chunky now but gives you an idea of bone)

309670_10100189203179108_1309820544_n.jpg

Notme on her by the way but very slim and tall daughter!!

Ziggy is a Connie (unpapered). He has more than 8.5" of bone. He was sold to me as ok to carry up to 13 stone, which I think is a bit high, but my 12 stone + RI rides him and he doesn't even seem to know she's there.

He was quite capable of tanking off with me when I weighed 11 stone.

Look at that chest! As a lady who met him said to me, "Gosh what a strong looking boy, he would carry any weight!"

He is such a sweetheart :wub:

Funnily enough I was reading about the '20% rule' on another forum recently, ie a horse can safely carry 20% of its body weight (its normal bodyweight, not when it's fat obviously). I worked out how much Raf would be able to carry - he weighs approx 420 kg on the weight tape (although if he takes a step forward or back he could easily go up or down by 10 kg or so, that's once I've worked out which way round the tape is supposed to go). I was really surprised to work it out at 13 stone 3 lb. I think that's quite a lot for a narrow, light boned little 14.3 horse. If you go by the stone per hand rule (not sure whether that's Arabs or all horses) he could carry nearly 15 stone! That would mean OH could ride him - he'd squish him!

According to the 20% rule a 350 kg pony could carry up to 11 stone.

ETA Just wanted to point out I am definitely not saying the 20% rule is gospel - just sharing what I read!

Last edited:
Ziggy this is my Connie ( albeit at 4, she is a lot more chunky now but gives you an idea of bone)

309670_10100189203179108_1309820544_n.jpg

Ziggy says she is hot. When can he meet her?

But she is a bit slighter than him, isn't she? Lovely girl.

Trews, do you have a picture of Storm for us?

I think that weight is conservative too, though as everyone says it does depend on the build. My old share Connie was a veteran (somewhere between 17 and 21 yo, the story varied!) He carried me easily, and could really float when he was in the mood. And he would fly over a cross pole, almost catapulting me off on several occasions. I am short and chunky. He could carry his pensioner owner just as easily, and she was far more 'thick set' shall we say. She must have been 12-13st. He was 14.2, and a traditional example of the breed.

I suppose that Connies are often chosen for their jumping abilities. I'd be far more wary about weight if doing lots of jumping classes, with quick turns and lots of loads on joints.

As a general riding all rounder I too would have said up to perhaps 12.5 st?

newrider.com