Yet another move?

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Feel like a yard tart :-/.

We got Ed just over 2 1/2 years ago, and kept him at lovely little RS yard near to home. Stayed there for 18 months, but couldn't face a second winter of no hard standing or shelter & indeed no car parking at the boggiest of times. Just before the second Winter a place came up at my friends yard, just over the hedge.

Stayed there for 6 months of Winter, but it's a yard with no menage or onsite riding, which just didn't work for my daughter at all :-( So early March this year we moved to a DIY yard on a chicken farm. It's a lovely yard, if a little labour intensive (irritating water situation, poly post fencing, batteries etc..) However, for various reasons it feels like time to move and we've decided that some form of assisted DIY livery is needed, as I work a 12 hour day quite away from home on a Wed and yard/stable duties are difficult (I have school arrangements to sort out too....).

So, we're thinking of moving the boy again..... Will people think I'm mad?

Making a final decision tomorrow, when mini Mr Ed has visited, but here are a few pro/cons:

New American barn stabling
CCTV
Individual tack/feed rooms
20x40 menage with floodlights
Individual paddock or group turnout
Hay/Straw included
As much or little assistance (total DIY to full livery)
Small, but busy yard (max 12 horses)
YM is experienced rider/RI - only 21, seems lovely

Disadvantages:
6.5 miles from home (I'm used to v local)
the Unknown (lol)
Hassle of moving!

So, how bonkers am I ?

Forgot to mention... Spectacular hacking... Loads of Bridleways within 5 mins of yard

That reads like a no brainer to me. I'd definitely move asap, the new yard sounds excellent for many reasons.

You might as well do it, you can always move again heheheeh :mstickle:

I do believe that if possible Ed would benefit from herd turnout and the bridleways sound great :biggrin: I would love a nice floodlit school too!!

Thank you all. Well, asuming the facilities (and people :giggle:) meet with Mini E approvel this evening, I suspect we'll be on the move. It will make my long Wednesday so much easier..

And as PM says :mstickle::mstickle: if it's not right, we can move again next year :dance: (the benfits of having your own trailer hehehe) It's a good job I keep my little tack room tidy :unsure:

(I've found over the years that Ed doesn't care where he is as longs as there some grass/hay. Put him in a new field, he has a sniff, a nibble, snorts to any mates over the fence, has s roll and job done. Going to camp last year was the same... he's not bothered :) )

Last edited:
Just make sure that you know about the isolation periods/tests for strangles that they might insist on. Poor Ben who has lived out 24/7 for his whole life, is suddenly on his own in an isolation stable where he has to stay for a total of 8 nights - and that is assuming that the flush of his gutteral pouch goes OK next Tuesday. This is all because he has been exposed to strangles in the past (I don't really know how long ago) and there is a risk that he may be carrier.

Once this is over, I don't think that I could ever face moving yards again!

Well, i`d say go for it, but then i`ve moved a few times in the past with various horses and for various reasons.

But i`ve been where i am now for over a year and i like it more than anywhere, if i hadn`t of moved in the first place, i wouldn`t be as happy as i am now :wink:

Hi Mr Ed :biggrin:
Don't worry about the extra travelling, as you have lovely hacking when you get to yard.:dance:
I have moved my horse twice this year ! - 1st yard was so close to home DIY but have now gone on shifts & the yard wouldn't have worked for me .
Now - I am on route to & fro from work, but on days off its 8miles from home.
Plus side is that the yard is on National trust land, loads of quiet lanes , bridleways etc.
Have a menage, lovely massive stable, turnout , good storage & feed areas, heated tackroom, washroom. security lights on yard & family live on site- plus only me & 2 other liveries- who all get on well. We are all on assisted DIY- so works well on my shift rota-
I know that i can go out on my horse for an enjoyable hack, still observant of traffic ( when I see any !! ), but also go through woods, streams etc.
so I would say MOVE- it would be so much easier for you and your daughter.
Hope this helps :biggrin:

I think the extra miles on 6 days of the week, is easily outweighed, by not having to go to the yard at 5am on a Wed, so that I can get back and leave for my 2 1/4 hour commute (thank goodness it's only one day a week!).

Also, I need to stay over night the odd week, doing a Tue/Wed or a Wed/Thu away... Again, it means I could relax about that and work at needed :happy:

Definately pack your bags! The right yard is everything - I drive a 22 mile round trip to my yard, more from the OH's house. It will be the complete opposite direction from my new job too. But for me, it's perfect - I know my horses are safe and happy, they are in safe hands when I buy extras (turnout, full livery when I am away etc) and I can do my own thing without anyone bitching or anything! The right yard is the difference between ownership being the fulfilling hobby it should be, and a potential living nightmare!

newrider.com