Yet again

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Well the afternoon was going ok till somebodys dog went rampant in the field chasing the ram lambs.
I was actually out in the field with chunky doing some polework. Had stopped to repair the electric fence as the ram lambs had broken it again. Had just finished getting it tight and repaired the break. I look up and the ram lambs are running hell-for-leather hotly pursued by a dog. I hear a whistle and hear someone calling. I start yelling for the dog to leave. It was taking no notice. I look up to see some people looking over the gate so i yell at them to come and get there dog. So the guy enters the field. Hes trying to do his best to stand upright on the steep bank. Im watching his dog grab one of the sheep from behind, took that down, that went down on the floor. I saw it get up holding its leg. The others charging further down the field, straight through the fence i had just repaired. One gets hooked and is tangled in the wire, dog spots that and comes running back to that. Im yelling a the dog to leave. Lamb manages to take off across the field complete with wire still attached to him. Chunky bolts as well as the lamb runs past him complete with fence attached and dog behind.
I yell at the guy to run and get his dog. Honestly he was walking so gingerly down the field. Hed even stopped calling the dog. I was getting desperate.
I was getting very upset and distraught. The sheep disappeared out of site behind the ridge, so at that point i run so that i can see whats going on. Some of the lambs had run far enough and jumped across the stream but i can see the dog harrassing the sheep thats tangled in the wire. That cant go much further as the whole 200metres of wire is still attached, hes also now hooked round fallen tree branches. As i get close to the lamb hooked up the dog runs off fortunately heading away from the sheep. He ignored chunky too that had come to a halt. Then turns to come back for another go at the lamb. I yell at it so it runs off again. Fortunately towards the owner who manages to catch it. I manage to get the ram lamb untangled, and he heads off across the stream to join the other ram lambs. I was shaking. A woman had walked down with there other dog. I stop to calm myself and got them to give me there details. The woman asks if theres anything they can do. So i said that i needed to get the lambs up and check them. She offer to help, whilst hisband took dogs back to the car. So i sent her off across the field to get behind them whilst i walked up calling them and to get some sheep food. I rung home and my brother came down to help the ram lambs were obviously reluctant to head up the field to the yard as thats were they first got chased from. I realised that there was only 7 ram lambs not 8. He must have remained near the yard and didnt go across the field with the rest. Once i got the bucket of food he came over to join me.
I couldnt initially see any blood drawn. Nobody appears lame. But i know the one went down so whether its got an injury hidden under the hair that i cant see im not sure. After i fed them i did see some blood across the bridge of one of the lambs noses. It looks like it had had enough time to start swelling. So there definitely a small wound but it looks minor.
Ive told the lady that i will examine them further and theres also the possibility of the shock that could kill them. So they have been fore warned that they might get a vets bill. I did also give her a bit of a lecture that her husband (well i assume husband), needs to learn to run and be a bit more proactive. They need to keep there dog under control better or on a lead.
They did offer to come back tomorrow to help put the fencing right but ive said i would sort it.
My brother went and retreaved chunky for me and took him up to the top field and turned him loose.

Ive had to leave the lambs in the shed for the night, as i cant turn them out with the wire trailing all across the field. So thats got to be all sorted and retrieved tomorrow. Ive left them with hay and water. Its supposed to be a dreadful night weather wise so probably better to be in. Hopefully give them time to get over there ordeal. All ate tea so hopefully not too distressed. But you never can tell with sheep.

Lady has just text me to apologise again. Im not replying at present. I need to wait and see whether anything is lame in the morning.

Well done if you got through reading that. Im still peaved off. Face is burning up. Blood pressure must be sky high. Hopefully once ive slept i will feel better.

What a bloody nightmare, poor lambies, I hope there’s not too much injury and they’re all still bright by morning.

That's so awful, what a horrible experience. Hope the lambs are all okay but I would maybe still ask for a little compensation for the fence?

Reactions: Jessey
I hope that you feel better this morning and that all the lambs are OK. What a horrible thing to have happened. I hope that the couple take better control of their dog after this.

I hope that you feel better this morning and that all the lambs are OK. What a horrible thing to have happened. I hope that the couple take better control of their dog after this.

so sorry, my dog is hardly ever off the lead as his recall isn't perfect, and certainly never anywhere near sheep. I hope they are all ok today

They seem to be ok. Ive turned them out. Most stayed at the top of the field near the sheds. Theyve only just wandered down to the bottom of the field even with us working out there.
Weve just finished collecting up all the broken wire. It was a right mess. 4 strands which go 250 metres back and fourth across the field. So 1000metres.
As it happens the wire had gone brittle and had quite a few joins were the animals have broken it over the years so it was all going to be replaced with new stuff anyway. It had been up over 10 years.
I wanted to redesign it slightly though as it had limitations being such a big stretch but i hadnt fully worked out how i wanted it. So have had to do some rapid head scratching and some discussion with brother on what would work better.
Weve run out new wire i had in the shed but done the fence differently so that its not going the full width of the field now. If they break the wire in future it will only be sections and im putting in some tensioners that will have a bit extra wire on so it allows me to make joins when it gets broken. Will put in electric gate handles too. Got as far as we could but i now need to order some materials to finish the fence.
In an ideal world we would change the temporary poly fence to a hi tensile one but that requires a big budget which we dont have just now. It also adds complications in to the way we use the field. Using poly wire does have its uses.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Do you have any signs up warning dog owners to keep their animals on a lead? I know the nfu has posters to discourage sheep worrying. I've seen them dotted around. Could it be worth you investing in some bespoke signs? There's a few companies on ebay that will make signs for very little money. I had some done when we lived at the old house. (We had a public footpath running alongside one of our biggest fields).

Reactions: Huggy
The cattle graze the other side of the road and there are signs in all the carparks warning people of grazing cattle and asking them to close gates. My fields are actually tucked back off the road and the otherside of houses except where i have gate access to the road. Fortunately i have no public footpaths through my own fields. Only on my neighbours field which i put the sheep in in the summer. That had notices on the gate and two stiles, that still didnt stop the one getting attacked early in the year.

• Sad
Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com