Yet again grateful for the relationship we have

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
For something different to do today (and to stop me churning up our field) I decided to rent the school at the yard just up the lane. We havent been in a school in over a year and I felt it would be a set space to work on cantering etc, plus change is as good as a rest and all that.

However, when I arrived there was a girl there on a lovely little cob - really sweet face, but she ended up whipping the crap out of him for no reason and it has really upset me. He moved when she went to mount and straight away she really whacked him. I hadnt seen it but heard the noise and por Rosie really flinched.

I went over and had a little chat (the mounting block is right next to the school) thought Id be a bit reassuring (there is nothing worse when things arent going well to feel that people are watching and judging you) and see what the problem was, and she admitted she was hot and bothered and felt that he was stubborn and she didnt like him!!! I pointed out that Rosie was very ‘opinionated’ but we’d worked it through over time.

She didn’t take the hint as when they rode up the track a little way, he wouldn’t get close enough to the gate to open it so she beat him to bits – he ended up rearing and all sorts but only because of what she was doing. She pointed him at the gate and whacked and whacked him, but instead of moving forward, or even being given the time and the space to figure out what he was meant to be doing, she hit him again. The YM came out and spoke to her and opened the gate but Im fairly sure she wasnt admonishing her for treating her horse that way.

I did say to the YM that I had found that quite distressing and unnessacery and her only response was ‘well he was sold to her as bombproof as she had also lost her confidence’ – like that made it OK? Poor thing wasn’t doing anything wrong till she beat him up.

Sorry to go on but its been playing on my mind. Would like to stomp up there and steal that pony and give him a home where he’s appreciated! I know she was stressed out and uptight and me watching didn’t help but thats no excuse. I really feel quite tearful and sad about the whole incident and am sorry i didnt step in earlier (the whole thing was right outside the YM's house so she came straight out)

Poor Rosie jumped at every whip and we had to just walk around until they were gone. It has however really made me appreciate the relationship we have, grateful for the fact that I dont even carry a crop nor do we need one and eternally grateful that we have other ways of doing things.

It came up in a DVD I was watching the other day, and it is a little corny, but the suggestion was 'if you horse's mother was watching you working with her daughter - would she be smiling?' And I think that a pretty good base line - would you be embarrassed to do that in front of someone who loved that horse? It certainly made me think and Im pleased to say Ill sleep easy with my conscience clear - not sure that girl will.

i like the message you are giving out here! that poor horse and what a horrible girl; unfirtuneately, i doubt that her conscience will trouble her at all, though

I would have gone mental! Dragged her off the horse or something and beat her with the stick. Silly girl shouldn't have a horse if she's not willing to treat it with some respect.

Credits to you for being so calm!

I have all the patience in the world for horses but not for people who don't stop and think! We have brains why don't we use them!?

Poor horse and it happens a lot,i have seen similar ....I have seen children spuring a horse that had already jumped a round of jumps several times and was obviously starting to tire to be kicked on again with spurs :mad: clear round jumping to collect rosettes all in the aid of a well known animal charity.....

That makes me really sad too.

Sometimes when i have a lesson at 'the other' riding school (not my reg one) i feel really disheartened by hearing 'smack him, smack him again' constantly.
The horse i've been riding there is not so keen to go and is quite stiff and slow at the beginning of a lesson. But i hate using the crop alot and often ignore the RI and try and judge for myself if its really neccessary. Actually the last time she said she thinks i'm 'too soft' with the horses. I have to say this makes me quite frustrated as altho i want to be an 'effective rider' i don't want to beat them half to death to get them to go forward.:(

Watching incidents like this make me grateful I can honestly say that Tyler and I have apretty good relationship. We have our moments like any mother and child, but we work through them, get over them and move on.

I always want to save every horse I see being treated like that but as long as I can help my own too I realise that is sometimes the best I can do.

Well done to you for holding back.

Jen
x

I truly believe that horses do not have a naturally mean bone in their bodies and do not believe they are stubborn, naughty or spiteful. I think people recognise the innate spirit, grace and beauty and thats why we are so drawn to them.

I think however they are often scared, easily confused, reactive and instinctual, maybe in pain, tired, cant be bothered, depressed, opinionated, vying for their place in the herd and generally behaving like horses. The worst of those are generally man made. It was pointed out to me a while ago, that if I wanted some respect and politeness from my horse, then I should concentrate on offering the same first (oops :eek:) and Ive tried to stick with that one. I think if they understand what you want and have that bond then they will try for you.

Theres been lots of times when Rosie has been slow to the point of painful going past things and it would be really easy to smack her on - but she always has a reason for doing it so why should i punish her for not wanting to go to a scarey place or over uncomfortable stones etc? When we school etc its not fab but she tries hard for me and i cant ask more than that. Most of the time Im in fits of giggles, laughing at the fact we are so crap. Why on earth would I beat her for getting it wrong, if she at least tried? Most of the time the problem is my rubbish aids :rolleyes:

poor horse, some people shouldn't be allowed within a mile of horses if they cant behave themselves. (humans not horses)

someone I knew at an old yard was very whip happy - if they'd had a bad day the horse got the brunt of it..... havent seen them in a while but I "think" they've started to behave a bit better since a few people have "intervened"

I am sorry but some people do not deserve a horse, I have worked blood sweat and tears into Jade and I respect her too much to do something like that.

That just makes me so angry! :mad:

I agree it's awful to see. I have learned and been taught that the use of a whip will not solve anything and am grateful for people taking the time to teach me a much more humane means to an end. I recently went to a RS where I was constantly told to "smack him hard" I did not speak my mind and tell them to **** off(wish I had it was the most awful 1/2hr I've ever paid for) but annoyed the RS no end by trying hard to use my seat and my voice to bring about a more elavated pace. I will not be going back and will give my honest opinion when asked how it went. At least you tried, its not easy to bring about change in anyone, not even yourself!

x

Agree it is awful to see, I've witnesed it and its horrible. Sometimes it doesn't make any difference if you do drop hints or say something, some people are just conditioned to accept that kind of treatment of their horses. Surprising too is parents / YO's attitude at times - people who really ought to know better.

newrider.com