Yes Or No, Poll Time :)

Do you do vaccinations?

• Total voters
I vaccinate jess but haven't had hank done yet, he barely leaves the yard and doesn't come in to contact with other horses, I will probably get him done in the spring when jess has hers as I want to start doing more with him.

Pig has his at agreed times... Madam doesn't on vet advice. He thinks the tetanus is a waste of time. Human tetanus lasts ten years so he think horse tetanus lasts longer than the manufacturer are willing to say. In addition a horse with a good vaccination history will build up immunity over time. He vaccinated madam every 4-5 years :)

I have tet done for both. Used to do flu also but stopped when Chloe arrived as we'd have had to start again with a course of three plus there are only two here - so on vets advice don't bother now. Always did when on a yard though as the risk was more. Ours don't do shows etc so risk is very small.

Yes get may last longer than the two years.
I know when a horse seriously cut itself here it had a get jab as hasn't had anything.
So I think I could be the only one here who actually does it them.

I used to just tet only and that was only every 2 or 3 years, depending on the strain of the jab but last year I put the boys onto the vet's health plan which includes both so that's what they got. I've now taken them off the health plans as part of it includes a load of worm counts and the new livery yard has a blanket worming plan (the ONLY thing that I don't like about it but appreciate why it has to happen because not all owners are conscientious!) so it is pointless to pay for something I don't use.

I've always had the babies given a full vaccination set from the start but then tended to drop the flu at the "booster" stage as none of mine ever went anywhere to mix with others. Although now that our finances are sorting, I will deffo be getting out and about next year so I will probs continue with both. Plus, of course, they are mixing with a lot more horses now so it makes sense to have them covered.

Also, I think that they have to be covered for both for my insurances to be valid.....

I vaccinate jess but haven't had hank done yet, he barely leaves the yard and doesn't come in to contact with other horses, I will probably get him done in the spring when jess has hers as I want to start doing more with him.

If you want them to be in sync for injections, you'd be best starting him six months before because they do a few together over a short period and then it settles down into yearly.

I used to just tet only and that was only every 2 or 3 years, depending on the strain of the jab but last year I put the boys onto the vet's health plan which includes both so that's what they got. I've now taken them off the health plans as part of it includes a load of worm counts and the new livery yard has a blanket worming plan (the ONLY thing that I don't like about it but appreciate why it has to happen because not all owners are conscientious!) so it is pointless to pay for something I don't use.

I've always had the babies given a full vaccination set from the start but then tended to drop the flu at the "booster" stage as none of mine ever went anywhere to mix with others. Although now that our finances are sorting, I will deffo be getting out and about next year so I will probs continue with both. Plus, of course, they are mixing with a lot more horses now so it makes sense to have them covered.

Also, I think that they have to be covered for both for my insurances to be valid.....

Can you not do the worm counts and provide evidence to the owners to support not having to worm regularly?

Not sure if its stipulated about vaccines on my insurance or not. They could argue if your horse got flu and you make a claim, you could have prevented it.
You need to think about what others on your yard do, if you graze with them. Three of ours went to a show and mixed with horses, I didn't but they graze with me.

Reactions: Flipo's Mum
Both for me too, a lot of horses on my yard go out and about to shows so not prepared to have my insurance say they won't pay out as I hadn't vaccinated and lets face it they will always try and find any excuse not to pay out.

Yes I vaccinate against both. I do this because my vet advised me to, and it's yard policy. We also go out and about every weekend and the risk is higher. To be honest, it has never occurred to me not to.

I never have used flu jabs since a mare I owned became very, very unwell after one, I never want to go through that again. We don't compete or mix with other equines so the risk of not vaccinating is very low anyway.

The only one of mine who still gets a tet jab is little Joseph donkey as he is still only 6 so has only so far, had two since I have owned him. My vet agrees with PF's vet......once they have had 3 or so in their lifetime, all the protection that the vaccine will give them is still there, and absolutely pointless in constantly re vacinating, the only winner is the vaccine producer! Once Joseph donkey has had his third one - next year, then none of mine will be on any vaccination schedule.

Both boys both jabs. Ginger needs both to compete for the riding club. Chanter because he use to.

After Chanter went through the fence I was very glad he had tet.

Reactions: joosie
Both for me too, a lot of horses on my yard go out and about to shows so not prepared to have my insurance say they won't pay out as I hadn't vaccinated and lets face it they will always try and find any excuse not to pay out.

This. I've always been at livery yards where horses go out competing, so always vaccinated for both - even though mine doesn't go out competing!

Both of mine get both, because they are often in contact with my boss's competition horses, and because we have a lot of different horses coming in and out.

I would vaccinate for most things if vaccinations existed for them! If only there was a vaccination against ringworm, it would have stopped some new livery bringing it onto our yard last year :mad:

Reactions: squidsin
newrider.com