Yearling breathing trouble

Uh-Oh

May 20, 2015
My yearling likes to sunbathe but every time I go and sit with her she seems to be struggling to breathe :/ Not desperately obviously - just sort of uncomfortable. Holding her breath a couple of seconds then grunting etc.

She seems perfectly happy and just dozes while I watch her so she can't be in pain or anything but she does have a bit of a tense face as well so it's a bit confusing :s

The only other horse I've seen do anything remotely like it had mild choke so it was really worrying at first but she does it all the time and nothing sinister ever happens. Once she stands up she goes back to breathing fine and acts normally.

She does grunt quite a lot actually thinking about it. While she eats mostly. But there are no signs of anything serious in her gut - She has been checked over by 2 different vets.

Anyone seen anything similar?

When horses lay down their respiratory system is compromised, they are big heavy animals designed not to lay down much and their own shear weight can effect their breathing and motion actually helps them breathe which as they are designed to move 23 hours a day is unsurprising. And being a baby she is probably just sleeping really deeply ;) :D

Reactions: Trewsers
I panicked when sitting in the field with mine one day .
I'm sure he was just really chilled out and going into a deep sleep , it was quite a moment , as I felt he really trusted me ?
I'm very new to ponies , and it's great to hear other people's thoughts and concerns x

newrider.com