Yay!!!! Have cracked FQ yield

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Yay!! Feel like I have won the lottery!!! Today finally cracked forequarter yield!! On a suggestion. What a change in attitude. Tobes suddenly put head down, ignored pheasants nesting for the night, scramblers with their fore wheel drives in the woods beyond AND DID IT. And when he did, like Clinton said, his head dropped down, he rested while his face was rubbed and semi fell asleep.

Am just on such a high. Last weekend 40 minutes trying didn't, yesterday, 25 minutes started it and today 15 minutes cracked it. Tomorrow may well be different, but just feel so happy tonight!!

Does anyone know why a for quarter yield is much harder than a hind quarter yield?

We have intermittant days too - depends on how stubborn she is and how cross she is that shes been interrupted from eating :giggle:

Sounds like you;ve cracked it sjp1 :dance:

Well done!

Popularfurball - I think they are harder because the horses weight is generally on the forehand. Sometime it is easier if you get their weight back first eg get them to take a step back and then asking for the yield. It can also be harder because we people tend to set ourselves up not as well for it and can 'block' with our own body language. Bellybutton direction is always helpful :smile:

Well said Laceyfreckle.
Are you a Clintonite too? LOL
FQ yeild is much more about the handlers position. Most horses have a tendency to push through something they don't get. Ie. walking foreward when you want them to step across. It's up to us to make it clear what we want.
Well done you for getting it. Onto side pass next I think??
xx

Well said Laceyfreckle.
Are you a Clintonite too? LOL
FQ yeild is much more about the handlers position. Most horses have a tendency to push through something they don't get. Ie. walking foreward when you want them to step across. It's up to us to make it clear what we want.
Well done you for getting it. Onto side pass next I think??
xx

I do a bit of everything :wink: I do follow the Quantum Savvy Program and was just in the middle of level 2 before my pony decided to go lame to get winter off :tongue:

BUT:

I also learn from Clinton Anderson, Classical and lots imbetween :smug:

I compete 'traditionally' so it suits us well.

I don't know if there's a psychological angle to forequarter yielding too with some horses, which is why it's seen as so significant in some styles of horsemanship, and often takes quite a lot of pressure initially to establish.

I actually managed to teach Rio to do them using very light pressure and a clicker :)

newrider.com