Yard Update

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I really haven't found any other suitable options since my last post :(

Then while I was away the new owners of my yard popped in, left their numbers with my horse sitter but they were missing digits so I haven't been able to touch base with them and was starting to panic but on Tuesday she found the note I'd put through the letter box explaining and text me :) so I went to see her and we had a really good chat and they really aren't pressuring me to leave, though I still don't think there is enough grazing for 4 there so still on the look out.

Last week I messaged a lady about the derelict land 2 fields over, I didn't know if it was hers but she had the right surname o_O turns out its her father-in-laws and she just called me to say they would like to rent it out and could we meet to discuss further next week :D she's given me permission to go on the property and have a poke around before we meet and she's an estate agent so it will be done on a proper contract :)

I was starting to worry about where the ponies were going to live but this sounds really positive :D

Well that sounds promising Jessey, at least if there is no pressure from the new owners you can get the new derelict land into some kind of order before you move the ponies over. :D

Reactions: Jessey
The new owners have 2 horses of their own which they will bring with them when they move up permanently in August :)

Glad you've got a little bit of time to sort something out although I can imagine it's still a worry! Fingers crossed the derelict land works out, sounds hopeful!

Oh hopefully it all works out for you :) I was wondering where the 4 horses was coming from..I was thinking Jessey has been naughty and got 2 more she hasn't told us about, then you explained they are the new owners lol :D

I went for a proper poke about last night, derelict is the word!
There are 4 hank size stables down 1 side, totally overgrown, 1 has a massive mound of dirt in from some kind of borrow/set, I've no idea what is living in there, the next one the burrow runs under and the roof is collapsed.
There is a set of brick buildings at the top which were burnt out about 5 years ago and from the strong brew beer cans and empty aerosol cans it looks like its a hang out for unsavoury types. I'll just fence the buildings off and set some poachers traps to see off unwanteds.
Beyond that theres 2 acres of grass which is rough but that will come right with some tlc, then there's an acre of reed bed/water meadow which may or may not come right but it certainly won't hold a tractor to top it.
It will be a project but I think it will work :)

Reactions: domane and Trewsers
Does sound like you are going to have your work cut out for you, but at least the better weather is on its way so that gives you time to sort it all out as you would like it. The place seems to have all you need so once you get it pulled together I hope you all settle in nicely :D

How exciting. Could you replace the stables? Once you start work on the site, the unsavouries will find somewhere else to go. I am sure they just go wherever they can be alone!

I could replace the stables but its not high on my priority list as mine live out anyway, there is really good hedges on the prevailing wind side of the field, mostly hawthorn but some evergreens too and if the barn can be used they will be all set for shelter :)

Reactions: KP nut
Hard work for sure, but if you are anything like me it will be so worth it once you've got it sorted. Plus you've got the added benefit of being able to get started on it before you need to move Jess and Hank, as KP nut said, once the 'undesirables' realise there is someone around i'm sure they will go find somewhere else to 'hang out' especially if you do set some poachers traps.

newrider.com