Yard Groom

iluvpin

Nov 28, 2005
cardiff, south wales
Hello

I am currently working on a yard, am loving it but i'm working 6days a week for very little money, but i can keep pin there and not have to pay for her.

So i was just wondering if other people that work on yards or have done so in the past, could tell me how much they earn/earnt in a week and what hours you work/worked and what else you get/got, e.g livery for your horse or accommodation/food supplied for you.

thank you in advance

Lauren:)

sorry this is O/T but looking at the link on your siggy and i never knew that there was a EC in st hilary! i live just up the road :p

sorry :eek:

A younger friend of mine used to get £65 a week plus stable, haylage and all normal hard feed (but no supps) for one horse, plus 1 lesson a week on horse of her choice (either one of the yards or her own), for 5 and a half days a week work officially 8 to 6 with an hour for lunch.
Not much money at the end but with everything thrown in was not a bad deal for first "proper job". About 18 mths ago I think this was.

I'm a working pupil at a RS in London. I do a 50 hour week spread over 5 days. I get minimum wage which is about £4.60. Thats £230 before tax per week

I get a lesson a week and all my exams paid for. It's live out and I don't own a horse so not sure if this is any help.

:)

250 and free livery for 61/2 day week in c 2 lates and thats yard work and teaching.xx in london area.xx others would have free live in instead of livery.xx

The answer is depends whether your contract is legal or practical!

Legally you may not work more than the maximum working hours without written agreement and you have the right to refuse to do this

Legally you must be paid national minimum wage per hour, the only exception to the standard rate is for approved students (basically doing Modern Apprenticeship) under 18 and for the first year over .

Legally your employer can only make a fairly nominal deduction for accomodation as declared by the government (currently £30.10 per week)

Legally your employer cannot deduct money from pretax wages for livery paid training or anything else, you have the option of paying for this post tax but cannot be forced to take it as part of your wages.

Practically this is why the old type WP contract where you were accomodated, fed, given free livery for your horse and pocket money is seldom now available .

Last edited:
hello,

thank you for your replys have made a mental note of them all, there really just so i can have an idea of what to ask/suggest for how much i would like to be paid.

Anyone else??
The more replys the better.

thanks again to those that have replied.

loz

hope you get it all sorted out, Brought back fond memories of when I first left school and started my BHS exams... 6 day week some evenings I was there till past 9pm ! I wasnt fed or watered.. and had no horse on livery there and no accomodation... and I used to get £50pw !!

slave labour lol !!

I soon packed it in and found a decent yard job with standard hourly rate, I learnt alot more to!

I soon packed it in and found a decent yard job with standard hourly rate, I learnt alot more to!

So which option would you say is the best way to go??

I'm a 16 year old school leaver who is thinking about getting a yard job for now and then in a years time possibly becoming a working pupil/student (will probably look for a live in placement where I can take my own horse).

Its worth shopping around, with changes in law now you do have more RIGHTS!

I have worked in a few yards over the years before I had ties! I have found that taking your exams are not the most important things in life, I was offered a YM job over someone who had just compleated there exams( quite high level)as they just didnt have the practical experience. I never finished my BHS stages, I couldnt see the point.. I didnt want to teach and was getting fed up of writing ( was 16/17/18 at the time)

Working in a variety of yards is good for experience to and also opens your eyes up to other disciplines wether good or bad.

Gaining experience is vital when working with horses. If you feel all your doing is mucking out and written work.. leading kids or horses about then find somewhere thats going to teach you properley. Dont be frightened to discuss with your YM either.

Also dont get taken for a ride as a 16 year old! Show maturity by asking the right questions about pay, conditions, livery costs ( for yourself or the horse) and how they go about paying you.

Working with horses is not a 9-5 job where you can clock of at 5 it does carry a degree of flexibility, however if your regulary working over time and not getting paid any extra I would highlight this.

Also invest in good warm socks and gloves for winter !!!

I used to winge and complain about winters... but looking back I adored those frosty mornings... being all wrapped up snug !

Good place for horsey jobs is www.yardandgroom.com I often have sneaky l look at it! :eek:

Thank you!
How much would you say is a decent amount of pay? (I know it won't be a lot)
Haha yes I'll definitely get the warm socks and gloves!
I'll have a look on that website - thanks!

newrider.com