Yard-Envy

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
We live on a dead-end lane and further up the lane is a huge house. Lake and swans and all that jazz! Opposite the house the family have built a yard for their daughter. It is gorgeous. Full sized all weather arena, full set of show jumps, large stables, storage barn, horse wash area, hard standing for lorries, good quality grazing with post and rail fencing....... And it's empty! The girl has take her ponies to a local livery yard so they can be on full livery and she has company to ride with. I wonder if they would rent it to me......!!!! But I am too intimidated by the family to go and knock on the door! Perhaps they won't want strangers there anyway but would prefer it just to be empty as it is right opposite their house. Sigh. I can dream, eh.

Reactions: SeeingSpots
I'd be knocking for sure, thats how I've got many a small yard to rent over the years :D would it suit you and the girls to be alone though?

Reactions: joellie
You are braver than me! It looks like there are 5 or 6 stables so I would plan to rent with another family. There are currently 3 families I get on well with, with kids at school with my 2, from my current yard all looking for somewhere. The others are planning on renting farm land with a field shelter, and have invited me along, but I want an arena. Also it is too far to get there twice a day every day.

Reactions: Jessey
It's a pipe-dream. I am moving to my new yard in 3 weeks and am feeling quite positive about that. But I might make some enquiries about the livery yard in the meantime too.......

So it might be a bit far away? Hmm. I would go and ask - you'd be surprised even folk with funds to build something like that might not want to see it empty and would enjoy earning something from it. But, if you shared it with another person, then only maybe one visit a day needed?

The yard I am drooling over is 1/4 mile from my house!!! It's the farmers land that my friends are going to that is too far away.

Planning permission wil probably exclude commercial use which may be why the daughter has moved rather than ask a friend to share it with her. Having said that there is no harm in asking if you could use it for your family, I suspect that may be greeted more favourably than assorted people sharing, put a proposal in a letter, at the worst they can say no!!

Reactions: squidsin
Many years ago in desperation as I hade 3 horses then and the boys ponys and the fields I had were being built on, and no way could I entertain being on a livery yard, even then when I was younger and less of an antisocial dragon. I went to the local village gentry with cap in hand and tugging at my forelock begging to use just one of their fields for approximately 3 months while I sourced something more suitable. Best thing I ever did, lovely guy and after a few months ended up with about 15 acres of superb mixed grazing - a large barn and permission to sublet if I so wished. Right alongside fantastic off road riding. The annual rent was a grand total of £100 sterling, even then that was extremely cheap! We were also able to be self sufficient in hay.

It seemed he was desperate for someone to take care of the land and I asked just at the right time. Needless to say I stayed there right up until I retired and moved here.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained - what is the worse they can do? Say No? :eek:;)

Write a letter! As others have said the worst that can happen is they say no (or ignore you.)

Mind you, I have a friend with a yard and grazing she doesn't use, and asked if I could rent it off her (for money, obvs) and she said no! I think the problem was that she did that before, renting it to a friend, but ended up looking after the ponies herself as said friend rarely turned up. It was still a bit galling though!

newrider.com