XTERRA Sarcoid Cream

Sophini

Oct 25, 2004
By the air museum!
Has anyone had any experience of using this cream? It is a fluro-uracil chemotherapy cream which looks like a brown paste and is available through the vet to treat Verucuse scaroids (the grey scabby type)

I have got some for Kitty's sarcoids (all 12 of them :rolleyes: ) and the leaflet says to continue daily topical applications for 4-6 days and the sarcoids will get inflamed and eventually "slough off" :confused: Am on day 4 now and there is definetly LOTS of swelling around each sarcoid and she is very sensitive in that area but other then that they look about the same - are they supposed to just drop off? :confused: Helpfully the vet has never actually seen the whole process from start to finish so he can't answer my questions :mad:

Excellent stuff!

Ed had a large fibroblastic type on his nose. I surrounded the sarcoid in a thick layer of vaseline and applied the cream for 5 days. By day 4 it was half hanging off and by the end of the fifth day it had dropped off. He was very sensitive around that area.

Area scabbed up and worried that the sarcoid would reappear but a we're a week on now, the scab had gone and i'm left with nice pink clean skin. Fingers are crossed that it doesn't reappear.

I don't think it's been used for long over here so can't seem to find many reports of people using it in the UK, only in america.

Wow that's great! Fingers crossed by the weekend they'll be gone then :D

Kit has one on her face but the rest are on the inside of her back legs and round her udder area so trying to get to them is quite dangerous at the moment as she's so sensitive :eek: Do you think that the hair will grow back through on the bare patch and are you putting anything on it?

Apart from a bit of dermagel when it was a manky scab I'm leaving it well alone until I know what it's doing. Don't want to stimulate a reoccurence.

He had previously had one removed from the same spot about 3 years ago (before I got him) so their wasn't much hair there in the first place.

I took a picture of the scab on my phone, I'll see if I can upload it and attach it.

Right........hope this works

Before - It had at least tripled in size since this photo was taken about 4 months ago:
EdandBruno032.jpg

After - 6 days after first using Xxterra cream. Thick scab had formed having dropped off:
Sarcoid.bmp

Definitely looks promising then :D

Kit's are about an inch across by half and inch wide, though she has a few which are more like marbles, but they aren't shiny like that they are dry grey scabs, quite flat really.....will let you know how she is after the weekend, hopefully they will have gone!!!

Sarcoids

Hi!

I am new to this site and was reading your messages about Kitty's sarcoids, I was just wondering how you've been getting on with them.

I have a 16 year old Irish Draft cross who is covered in them. Cally has approximately thirty sarcoids on the left side of his body. There is a cluster of ten to fifteen on his chest and there is another large cluster up between his back legs on the left hand side, spreading to his sheath. I use xxterra paste when one starts to ulcerate, but I find as soon as one heals another one starts! I find the paste to be incredibly effective alongside a lot of time and patience.

Two years ago Cally had a large sarcoid come up just above his left eye, which we had treated directly by the vet. The treatment was a course of injections. The vet came out on two occassions to administer three injections, which basically made it shrink away to nothing! It worked very well all thats left is a small bald area. However, another one has come up on his eye in a different place, but in the two years it's only the size of a thumb nail, it wont be long before the treatment is repeated.

I noticed that you posted the thread back in June 2005, but I would be very interested to hear how you've been getting on and if you have any tips that you've picked up! I've had a few learning curves... and plenty of big vet bills!

newrider.com