Xmas ups and downs..

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
After Christmas day, and the missing horse, things should surely be able to be on the up?
Nope, I have the starts of a cold, keep sneezing, and my horse is probably having sympathy coughs..
I've been sat here tonight, thinking back to those 8 years i've owned my horse, and some thing dawned on me tonight and I feel really guilty..
In 2004 (ish) after some personal problems, I fled down south and left him in the care of a friend whilst I sorted myself out, and then planned to arrange his transportation to join me (I stayed at my bro's)..
In that time (6 weeks) he nearly choked to death on his tea, my helper had given him a dry feed, which he bolted down.. that sent me right back home, I couldn't cope with the idea of something happening and I wasn't there to help him. Shortly after he developed a sarcoid type wart on his chest, and between me and the vet we decided that his immune system had dropped, allowing the herpes virus to cause this..
Since then, there have been further occasions which lead me to believe, my horse can't cope if he doesn't see me for more than a few days.. the mystery illness he had about 5 years ago, I had a sharer that nearly broke his wind, I don't think he liked her, and he was poorly for 18 mths after with at first his breathing, then coughing..
I know it sounds outlandish, but is it possible for a horse to form such a link with his/her owner, that they cant bare not to have that person in their life?
I wasn't able to get down for 10 days, then there was the mix up on xmas day, then this where he's coughing again..
I feel at this moment of time, that he's trying to tell me something, and this is how it's manifesting itself, he's always been sensitive with his immune system when stressed :frown:

I do think that it is possible, yes. Really hope that things start to pick up for you both and that 2012 is good.

Yes I do think it is possible - our Joe would never allow anybody else to look after him if the need evet arose he almost pined for OH. But then again maybe he because he had so much wrong over the years he just trusted OH so much?
Hope your cold shifts soon. I'm having anothet attack of my rotten gastric trouble and am loathe to go back to my gp as I know he will just refer me back to my consultant again for more tests.... All I need is to be less stressed and it will go.
Anyway, I have babbled on! Hope 2012 is better for us all.

I'm not crazy then :giggle:
When I went to fetch him in yesterday (before the coughing), I heard the sound of thundering hooves from over the top of the hill, and saw the little monkey happily playing torment the field mate, rearing and grabbing.. have to say though, field mate was getting pretty much involved in his play..
I shouted twice, one to get his attention, and one to get him moving, and they frolicked to the gate.. Yes his actually started playing again! First time in 4 months that i've caught him in the act..
Shadow likes it there, I've just got to find away to keep it like that without making too much change to his management.. This morning, I'm sat here thinking about whether he does actually have a cold (the start of one) because that won't stop him eating and playing will it? Just because he's got a bit of a cough in work, doesn't make it the dreaded flu or copd.. Got to think positive..
In the 8 years I've owned him, there has been more good than bad, I have friends who have weeks or months of good, then years of bad with theirs, guess it's whatever luck is thrown at you..
My sharer says he never comes to her, just stands and watches.. he always comes to me.. there isn't a lot of grass in the paddock (hence the playing I think) and I would have thought he would have saw her and thought "Food!", but apparently not..
The invisible rope between me and him..
1111.jpg

Guess I should consider myself very lucky:smile:
Trewsers, stress is usually behind a lot of things, it's learning how to live with it, maybe try some martial arts? Not the fighting ones! Thia chi? :wink:

Yes you are right - stress is behind a lot of things. Trouble is I can never see it coming and tend to just get on with things - then after the event suffer! I am going to see about some sel help books. Maybe learn some meditation techiniques- you never know it might just work!

Just wanted to add: yes it could be a cold starting? Are all the others ok? Having said that these colds have to start somewhere. Fingers crossed and positive thinking!!

I've just got back from taking some herbal meds up for him.. I went up to see him, didn't even have to shout him, he saw me and came to the gate, there are two gates in the field, one near the bottom, so I walked to that one, so as not to get the other horses ept up..
I gave him a handful of treats, gave him a cuddle, then told him his sharer is bring him in, and shouldn't be long.. as I walked back up the path, he cantered along side me, trying to get my attention.. I think he wanted in..
It's been decided that bad batch of haylage is behind his coughing, that's going to be sorted asap, with the looks to maybe switching to soaked hay if the problem isn't resolved pretty snappish..
It does smell musty, and the next roll looks to be worse..
It's going to be plenty of fresh air and exercise for him, I've booked the ménage tomo, and we'll do some lunging..

newrider.com