Wwyd

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So as part of the livery we can adlib hay. However for some reason the horses won't eat it and even when we changed the bales and tried mixing the old stuff Sox wouldn't eat it. Yo wouldn't change it again. So we got a round bale for the 3 of us. That lasted a week and we mixed that bale with the hay but they would pick out the nice hay leaving the Yo hay.
Due to that we have had to buy small bales of hay at 3.50 a bale. I can' buy a big bale really as I have no were to put it. I thought of haylage buy I am weary without testing it. However I bought 10 bales last week and I have 1 left!
Would you continue to get the small bales try the haylage or try getting some cheaper bales in bulk but they ha e to be meadow bales

Well my first port of call would be with the YO - there's no way I'd be paying for full livery inc all hay and then having to buy in my own as well:eek: Unless I've misunderstood your post of course?

Haylage is going to work out more expensive than hay. Personally I'd keep with the small bale hay, I'd be annoyed about it but a horse needs to eat & this can be a problem when livery includes hay. How is the livery hay provided? If he puts out a bale each time one is used up then I'd try each bale as it comes out & if I found one he ate I'd fill every haynet I had! Also if it's large bales it might be worth trying some from further in the bale.

Id stick with small bale hay it is cheaper. What i would try though is steaming the yard hay to see if that helped.

I will try the Ideas. We tried mixing the bale we got with the YO but they weren' having it. Tbh my yo hay seems good though it is.. rough with it been rye grass..
Where does the YO get the hay from? Have you smelled it? Does it smell nice? Is it this year's (2017) hay?
he gets it from one of our hay fields. Yeah it smells fine.
In terms of the haylage is 30 quid for a round bale and lasts Sox around 3 weeks. Sox goes through a small bale of hay in 1.5 days

Can you keep buying rounds with the other 2 or are they now eating the yard stuff?
They have gone for the small bales too as they don' have anywhere to store the big bales. I would put it in the container where I had my hay before but my yo put one of the bales they wouldn't eat in there. So currently my bales have been on a pallet covered up but the round bales of hay from the current supplier wraps them very loosely

I wouldn't be happy feeding haylage that was open for three weeks, in fact I wouldn't feed it. But if you can store a round bale of haylage why can't you store a round bale of hay? Cover it well with securely tied tarps & it should be fine, certainly safer than feeding haylage that's been open that long.

I wouldn't be happy feeding haylage that was open for three weeks, in fact I wouldn't feed it. But if you can store a round bale of haylage why can't you store a round bale of hay? Cover it well with securely tied tarps & it should be fine, certainly safer than feeding haylage that's been open that long.
Because the bales of hay are very very loose. You pull off a bit and half the.. flap gives way!

So stand it on a big tarp with string threaded through the eyelets. When you want to use it take off the top tarp & undo the bottom one. Take off what you want, the loose stuff will fall onto the bottom tarp which you then tie back up round the bale. Next time start by using the loose stuff in the tarp. The only thing is is the bales are that loose do they work out any cheaper than small ones?

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
They have gone for the small bales too as they don' have anywhere to store the big bales. I would put it in the container where I had my hay before but my yo put one of the bales they wouldn't eat in there. So currently my bales have been on a pallet covered up but the round bales of hay from the current supplier wraps them very loosely
I'd get rid of what he won't eat and put your round inside or do as @carthorse suggests.
Even ryegrass hay shouldn't be rough. If it's a bit coarse it's perhaps because he cut it too late, when did he make it?

newrider.com