Wretched b*stard, sh*tty horse flies!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
My poor old girls. Today I put them out at 8am and it was breezy and dull. They looked fine when I popped round to the house to do a bit of stuff - but then I looked out half an hour ago and they were at the gate, with Stormy screaming to come in and Chloe stood in abject misery behind her. Dashed out the back door to rescue them and they were just covered and I mean covered in the dam things. I have never in 8 summers of being here seen them as bad. They were both sweated up like they'd just run the National. Brought them in and de flied them both - I got bit through my jeans again! They are covered in blood and I put a fleece cooler on Chloe as she was lathered up and I thought it would wick the moisture off her. I hate this time of year!!! They have both calmed down and are happy indoors munching a pile of hay. I will be glad when September comes - sorry for the summer lovers on here!!! They can go out tonight instead when the blighters have gone to bed or at least aren't on full attack mode.
How are yours faring? I have given up on their fly rugs as the other day Chloe was full of them underneath.
Edited to add; sorry for the strong language in the title ! They make me use bad words and are one of the only creatures on earth I do not mind killing!!!!!

They are an absolute nightmare this time of year, they just don't leave me or Rubic alone. Rubic seems to cope ok with her fly rug on - I spray fly spray on her, put her rug on and drench the rug in fly spray too. It's a nightmare. Poor horses :(

Well so far we seem to have escaped the horse flies, in the field anyway, we do get attacked if we do the ford run on a hack though.
You do make me chuckle Trewsers, I was like :eek::eek::eek: at your language, lol not because of what you said just because it was coming from you :D

Reactions: Trewsers
They are an absolute nightmare this time of year, they just don't leave me or Rubic alone. Rubic seems to cope ok with her fly rug on - I spray fly spray on her, put her rug on and drench the rug in fly spray too. It's a nightmare. Poor horses :(

I seem to have given up with the fly spray as none of it repels them this year! I'm going to mix some citronella up - it might just stave a few of them off.

:eek::D
Well so far we seem to have escaped the horse flies, in the field anyway, we do get attacked if we do the ford run on a hack though.
You do make me chuckle Trewsers, I was like :eek::eek::eek: at your language, lol not because of what you said just because it was coming from you :D

Hehhee, I don't normally get so mad but they were just awful:D:eek:

I've found a great fly gel, alternative fly gel by pro equine, that repels horse flies. I've noticed they are bad this year. I'm forever splatting them with brushes, bottles etc. Toby has a mark Todd fly rug with a belly wrap that's been good at keeping flies off him. Poor girls :( I think horse fly menace deserves a bit of cursing. They are horrible!!

we are very lucky, we don't really get horse flies on the yard paddocks, but we we go to fun rides they are awful :( I use Nettex Itch Stop Salve which seems to be great at keeping everything away!

we are very lucky, we don't really get horse flies on the yard paddocks, but we we go to fun rides they are awful :( I use Nettex Itch Stop Salve which seems to be great at keeping everything away!

You are lucky - the first yard we were on didn't seem to have them, if they did I didn't get bothered.

Lots and lots of laughs Trewsers - I have just come across this and your title had me gagging to see what on earth had the bleddy things done to
cause such and out of character thread title! :D

I have to say they are really bad here this year, despite riding out in a newly purchased ride on fly rug, and a full cover they are still driving Dolly and I to distraction, and today I find all their legs are covered in bot fly eggs - I am sure this is earlier than normal? :mad:

We have a few this summer, more than last year for sure but not the worst yard I have been at by a long shot, even then they drive poor jess nuts.
I heard rose geranium oil specifically wards off horse flys but be careful if your mares are hormonal as it can increase oestrogen levels, a lot of people rate neem oil for horse flys also.

Last night I attempted to ride again but it wasn't very nice as we both got bitten. I have never known them get me like this through my jeans and jodhs! Am thinking of buying some leather jodhs!!!:D Well surely they can't get through leather right?!!!?

I really do prefer Autumn and winter for me and the horses. Think my favourite month is September as here we get warm breezy sunny days without flies and the temperature just suits us all. Think summer frustrates me because I feel cheated riding wise, lets face it, it looks the part and if it isn't windy what's my excuse?! Until the flies appear.......

Yes, I love April here - same as your September. I do love October here though - starting to really warm up, daylight saving has just begun and the bugs haven't really come out yet.

newrider.com