wow, too much for me, but wow

Interesting tho - I mean horses are horses however clever and well trained they may be. So, (I am not thread hi jacking honest!!!) do they or would they care if us lesser mortals rode them?! Not classing you in the lesser mortal group btw !! Just folk like me that don't have that many ridden years exp.

Most of the horses on my yard are like this (ie proper competition horses), and they are a mixed bag. Some are easy to ride and handle, and some are crazy. Some have excellent riders, some have very brave but less skilled riders. It amazes me the money they go for!

Riders need serious balls to do eventing ! I cant even watch it, makes me winch!

I had a chance of riding a very expensive eventahhhh ! The rider make him look a very easy ride, but christ, I felt so out of control on him, I had one very short out of control trot on him and handed him back! :redface: He had some serious fitness going on though, I think thats where alot of his exuberance stemmed from rather then him being a difficult ride! ( added into the equation my crap riding!)

I had the pleasure, (ahem...well it could be called that!:redcarded:)of riding my sis in laws top flight eventer, home bred by my brother - very proud family achievement, they were offered huge sums of money for him once the word got around but he stayed with them until he retired. She gave me a couple of lessons on him. Stunning big 17.2 well built bay gelding.

Never understood why when she rode him he looked so smooth and so very easy, when I got on him he was the feffing horse from hell!:giggle: I know my limitations.:redface: My excuse is that his price ticket made me very nervous.:biggrin:

Scary ... I used to compete at thst level and jump higher when I was a bairn riding for a family that built horse boxes. I had my little 24 year old connie x new forest I used to potter about on then used to compete there big posh horseys when I was 15/16.

Then I had my accident and did a 45 cm class a couple of months ago. Having a panic attack all the way round

The horse may not care where they went but I do feel some are just born to compete. I know that sounds weird but I have the cob who couldn't care less if I ride or not. She fits into the not a lottta oomph category, she stays the same if I leave her a week, two weeks or a month. Of course I don't have her at anywhere near the fitness, but she has the potential to be a confidence giving type.

The nearest I got to a competition horse was my instructors medium dressage horse.

Although a car is mechanical, it firs require more skill to drive than a mini.

Danii-your saying you have ridden round Gatecombe and a CIC*, I wonder how the course has altered, not sure how long ago it was you went round it.

Last edited:
I rode a horse once that was sold for 60,000 euros....whats that in sterling??

Ive recently ridden racehorses worth a few quid :help:

Ginger was purchased for $280,000 as a yearling. A horse is only worth what some one is willing to pay.

I was offered £3000 for him last week and he has done nothing.

I think its all about having the money, and the right back up, to get to higher levels. Nothing to do with personal achievement, or who you are as a person, or rider, or how good you are with horses.

I have seen it from all angles, we all love our horses, that's the main thing. Some get on better than others, some of us are stronger, some weaker. Horses are the most amazing challenge and levellers for everyone.

My YO has only just realised at 58 years old that she has lead an enchanted life, she took the money and the achievements and all the glory with a pinch of salt. There was a time, not so long ago, that she would not have got on a 'cob'. She is doin it know and smiling x

No im saying I used to regulary jump 1.20 courses out and 1.40 at home. Our local unaff comps here hold 120 classes with a 125 jump off for those who want to do it. I was actually once upon a time a very good young rider until a stupid accident paralysed me for 6 weeks. Ending any comp career and destroying my riding confidence.

There is an amazing eventer who has her stables on the yard I am at, separate but uses some of facilities but has her own stables and staff etc.

Her horses are amazing, she breaks some for people and has lots of youngsters. Gorgeous horses, I admire from the ground and love to watch her ride she makes it seem effortless. She is amazing rider and also one of the nicest people in the world. Genuinely lovely and always asks how I am getting on with my spotty boy and will chat away and you wouldn't even feel nervous riding in arena at same time as this top rider as she is just so nice and if you ask her something is happy to help.

I am happy though on my chap, I think we suit each other as he has done different things and has mileage but some things to work on which can be fun as good to get experience schooling him and teaching something new (with RI help), but is quiet so I feel confident and secure.

I love to watch top competition horses but I don't think I'd have the confidence for high level stuff, I am not good with pressure situations :giggle:

If I was into competing and a really experienced rider something like a connie for performance connie class type level would be cool I'd like that :biggrin:

There is nothing about riding that horse, competing or eventing etc that appeals to me. I think some people are really driven and super competitive and enjoy that kind of thing, but actually I just don't really get it. Maybe its because I don't jump and don't like to go fast but for me riding is about relaxing and having fun, not working your butt off day in day out and pushing yourself so hard to be able to do that. That's work not fun!

Years ago I was lucky enough to ride two Grade A show jumpers who would jump anything you pointed them at - which was wonderful when one of them tanked off with me as jumping a 5 bar gate or high hedge held no worries to him. They were both veterans, one 16 one early 20s, but still very game.

The older one was wonderful to show jump indoors over baby fences, he made it so easy, you could just ride him so easily - outdoors he was a nightmare as he got faster and faster! He took off with me at a x country and passed the horse that started ahead of us!

They were fine to ride, just a bit strong....Benjamin Bunny the younger one had an amazing sense of humour and was just a totally lovely horse.

As a first horse (however off competition ponies) I bought a 2* International event horse for CK..he was a vet failure so very cheap and had been broken and trained by our then trainer so we knew his background! He taught her so much not all of which was good on his part)! He made the current ex racehorses look like walk in the park!

Talented horses are usually quirky, the fact his is being advertised as a junior's horse suggests not too much so here!!

I couldn't handle having a horse of that value, imagine the stress of turning it out in case it damaged itself!!

When I was very young I went to boarding school in South Africa. The highlight of my week was going to a riding stable owned by three sisters. The youngest sister had psycho horses and when we got better riders we went out with her rather than being only in the school. She went off for three months to work with the Vienna school, and when she came back, her horses went to boot camp. No more rearing (which I vividly remember) when she asked them to wait for us small people!!

Jumping was the order of the day when we stopped falling off all the time, and my jumping teaching horse was a Grade B showjumper.

I was only 8 at the time and that horse was absolutely angelic. I simply pointed, he chose the pace and jumped so sweetly over tiny jumps that I stayed on and absolutely loved it. To this day because of the early experience I had with jumping that horse, jumping doesn't worry me in the least. Although Tobes has been tricky to say the least, I have never ever worried about jumping him because of my very earliest experience of jumping.

So some very talented horses are very capable of gearing very well down for very amateur and very young riders.

newrider.com