Would you rug my pony?

Frayne is an Exmoor Pony - built like a tank (muzzled when out at grass) and grows a pretty thick winter coat. I am moving her to a livery yard in 3 weeks time - where she will be in at night and turned out during the day (unless weather is horrible). It is right next to the coast (sea is about 1 mile away :)) and consequently always seems to be blowing a strong wind.

I hope not to clip her - but may do, if I am doing enough work with her and she is sweating up a lot (it would then only be a bib clip or low trace).

I actually only have a LW turnout for her and a cotton waffle rug. She did used to live out 24/7 and I put a LW on her then (to keep her clean and dry really), which flattened her coat a lot.

Since then she has always come in at night and gone 'naked' in and out. I perhaps put the cotton waffle rug on her if she comes in very wet.

She will be having haylage when in (special late cut suitable for good-doers and lami-prone), wear her muzzle when out if necessary (the grass is less rich there than on our dairy farm), and also get a small amount of Fast Fibre with seaweed/rosehip mix until my large tub of that is used up, and then probably onto Blue Chip Lami Light (the YO has links to Blue Chip and uses it for all her horses).

I would like to save money and make things simpler by leaving her 'naked', but worried that the more exposed field may mean she gets cold? Probably worrying too much!!

Ali xx

I think she should be ok in a lightweight turnout? My connie is a good doer - out during the day and in at night. She is unclipped - and a bit porky, so on vets orders I only rug her when its foul - and if its cold she gets a lightweight rug on. She seems ok with that. Our turnout fields are all quite exposed and it does blow quite a hooly - she seems fine tho. I did hear that they can't "fluff up" under rugs - but so long as they are not soaking wet (thats what seems to bother both mine the most) they do ok.

I've got shetlands and they have a double coat - thick outer waterproof(ish) one and fine inner coat that fluffs up and traps air near the skin which acts as insulation. Rugging stops their coats working properly as it flattens the outer coat so they are actually colder rugged. Not sure if exmoors have the same sort of coat? If so then they won't need rugging at all as long as they have some shelter from the rain. (If they get soaked to the skin they can get too cold, but even in lots of rain they rarely get wet through as the coat acts to channel rain away from sensitive areas).

Yes, Exmoors also have the double coat. There is no artificial shelter out in the turnout paddocks, just Pembrokeshire 'hedges' on 2 sides (stone/earth banks - about 8 foot high). If it was really horrible weather, then she would stay in. I think I won't put rugs on her straightaway, but will see how she copes and how much work I am doing with her.

It was nice when she was rugged, as she then had a lovely smooth shiny coat on her body - but I am sure she would prefer to be 'au naturel' :D

I can always put her cotton waffle rug on to help her dry off at night - very successful with a thatch of straw underneath.

Ali xx

Weeeell.... my personal point of view is that all native ponies are capable of living out rugless! The Exmoor is a tough little horse and their natural environment isn't exactly hot and sunny in the winter :rolleyes: If you don't clip him or rug him, he will adapt to the weather very quickly. You can always start rugging him later in the season if he seems really miserable, but I doubt he would be.

how old is she and how sheltered is the turnout feild? if it is in a blowy area with not a lot of thick shrubs, i would rug her, and also if she was older, i would rug her in a light to med. weight rug.

I have a welshie and only rug if it pelts it down for more than 24 hrs.

If the rain is only light I dont.

When there is a cold icy wind I cant help myself if there is a bit of rain at the same time.

So far only 4 nights since August. He is fluffing up nicely and I am trying to stay very brave, but must admit I have asked YO tonight to check on him during the night as she works shifts, to get a more accurate view.

This is the biggest dilema I face every winter. Trying to harden him off but still managing to get some worriless sleep for myself.:D

how old is she and how sheltered is the turnout feild? if it is in a blowy area with not a lot of thick shrubs, i would rug her, and also if she was older, i would rug her in a light to med. weight rug.

She is only 10. Haven't actually walked out in the turnout field yet, but it will certainly be 'blowy' (when the wind is really strong in this area, I literally get blown off my feet :eek:).

My head says don't be stupid; she was quite happy last winter without rugs, but I wasn't riding much then and we are in a much more sheltered area.

We are silly worrying so much! At least she will be in at night and during horrible weather, so then I can relax knowing she is happily munching on her haylage :)

Ali xx

i wouldnt, a lightweight might flatten her coat down and then you end up having to rug all through winter. just had that dilemma with angel and appley. angel now has a LW because she is very skinny and 17 years old :eek: opted for not rugging appley (who is 2 and a half). remember that exmoors grow that extra layer that other ponies dont :)

I would leave her naked.

I think when you start rugging it means that you will have to rug for the rest of the season.

Tyler wouldnt be rugged right now if he didnt have a clip due to the sweat the he produces when working.

She should be fine. Keep on eye on her weight etc and let that tell you when to rug,

Jen
x

newrider.com