Would you put your horse before the saety of your child??

suezyq

Aug 12, 2007
Just need to let off some steam. My freind purchased a 3 and a half year old section d 6 weeks ago, when she viewed it the dealer rode the horse bareback and with just a headcollar and lead rope. it seemed to be okay but she has fiffed and faffed about with him and he is now very nervous also may i had she is not very experienced.Tonight she made her 14 yr old daughter get on him and he went berserk and bronked untill he ditched her, i suggested sending him away to be proffesionally backed but she refused saying her daughter had to back him.Her daughter is now terrified of him and has hurt her back.Why are some people so obseesed about backing their horse themselves when they have little or no experiance.She did the same thing last year with a youngster and he is so stubben he will not go in the school no matter what they do and he wont hack out alone unless someone walks along side of him.
Sorry so long winded just needed to let off some steam.
What do you guys think???

She sounds mad to me. Not only is she seriously endangering her own child but she's certainly not giving that poor horse a good 'first educatioin' - if he ends up the same way as the other one she had backed last year! :rolleyes:

I am rather concerned that your friend is not as knowledgeable about horses as she feels she is.

The fact she is prepared to put her daughter's life in danger is even more worrying, she may put her daughter off horses for life, or even cause her serious injury by insisting she backs these animals.

I am even more worried about the horses, the daughter can refuse to work with them, but the horses have no choice other than becoming dangerous to handle, and a potential danger for anyone.

Cheers, midori

if a parent put their child at risk by driving dangerously or by caring for the child whilst under influence of drink/drugs or had a home so chaotic that children were at risk of injury - it is likely that social services would be involved - this seems to be just as abusive - i dont know what would happen if the child happened to mention at school that she had been injured whilst riding a dangerous pony but school could contact social services & certainly should the childs' attendance drop below 90% due to riding related injuries than the educational welfare service might get involved

If she is so keen to back the animal herself then she should do just that...and get on board herself!! How stupid to insist that her 14 year old daughter do it for her. Reckless behaviour from a parent which could very well end in tragedy :(

thanks for all your comments i was beginning to think it was me being over protective Also the lady concerned does not even ride.it was only18 months ago she bought another pony for her daughter that was a total mental case it threw her off every day for 6 months and her daughter spent more time in casualty than riding,it was only when the pony tried to jump over a parked car and landed on it and severly cut itself she decided to sell it.

Mad woman!!! She should back said pony herself before saying her child should do it. But oh yeah... duh... she doesn't even ride!!!! :mad:

You should always put your kid's safety first! Some kids CAN back ponies... seen one as young as 8 yrs old back a pony years ago - but only with help... and it has to be said that kid comes from a horsey family, has probably been riding since she was a toddler, was helping her aunt professionaly back ponies and is now doing proper SJ competitions. But kids like that do grow up in a horsey family with parents that have experience in this matter...

Your friend obviously does not have that experience!!!

newrider.com