Would you muck out a horse in return for free diy livery?

atillathefun

Jan 7, 2005
Essex
Visit site
Hello
I have been mucking out my Dads horse as well as mine for a month while they are on holiday and it really is too much if I want to have time to do anything with my own horse.
I am thinking we could offer someone free diy livery (permanent not just holiday cover) in exchange for the person mucking out my Dads horse. Before I mention it I wanted to see if you guys think it is feasible??

Sounds good but would you want to leave your friends at your livery yard?

Last edited:
SOunds like a bargain ! Mucking out is worht, what 1.50 a day ... so 10.50 a week .. so somebody will be getting DIY livery for effectively 40 pounds a month ! Great ! What facilities are you offering - I'm on my way over !

If I was looking fir DIY and having to go and muck out my own horse anyway, I'd DEFINITELY do it - I think its worth getting up a bit earlier to save a small fortune! I'm sure someone would take you up on this offer - just be careful that you're very clear about how long the arrangement is for, and what will happen if/when you don't need them to muck out anymore.

In theory yes, but not just for a month, no (unless i was desperate for a temporary livery arrangement).

If you are talking about a permanent arrangement, though, i think you would get people biting your arm off for a deal like that.

:eek::eek:

If you lived in Kent, I would absolutely be there!!! What do I care, mucking out takes me half an hour, and what's that if I get free livery!!!!! Merlyn's on DIY anyway!

Ooops, you mean whilst they're on holiday...

Well that's a bit different, unless I was desperate for emergency temp livery, but if you could make it permanent, I don't see why not!

Last edited:
I think people would jump at the chance, even if you offered chepaer livery plus the mucking out say £10 a week plus mucking out.

Bargain can I come! lol

Sorry maybe my post was misleading I do mean permanently. The horse is retired so getting a sharer or loaning isnt an option. (He couldnt be loaned as a companion I couldnt let him go anywhere - he has been with us 22 years :D)

We have a school and only me using it so never busy and 20 acres of grazing :D Come on over we can start a NR Yard :D

oh how lovely would an NR yard be???

Sadly, Merlyn windsucks so would probs get turned away at the door :rolleyes:

So yes, permanently mucking out a retired horse for free DIY no problems! You also get a hacking buddy, and a general second opinion!

oh how lovely would an NR yard be???

Sadly, Merlyn windsucks so would probs get turned away at the door :rolleyes:

So yes, permanently mucking out a retired horse for free DIY no problems! You also get a hacking buddy, and a general second opinion!

Ahh we wouldnt turn him away :D

Having someone else around would be an added bonus it does get lonely ..sniff - joking :p

Oh bloody hell i would!!! Got to go down anyway!! That set up is going to make someone a very happy chappy. Make sure its someone you trust though or you could end up with a very dirty stable at the end of the week!!

I think it's a good arrangement, and one of my friends did it (probably still does on an on-and-off basis). But that was on an official yard (ie the owners ran it as a proper business) and when they needed extra staff for whatever reason they'd use her and instead of paying her and her paying them straight back for her livery they agreed to call it quits. Free livery for a certain amount of work.

I would want to make sure that you could "sack" them as mucker-outers if their work wasn't up to scratch or you didn't need them to muck out anymore for some reason, but that would NOT be coupled with them having to leave and find another home for their horse, i.e. agree what it is worth in monetary terms and make it an either/or agreement: either they muck out and pay you no livery, or they don't muck out and they pay you X amount. Agree the amount in advance to avoid surprises.

Of course you'd have to be in a position (council/legally etc) where you can take payment for a service provided (I have no idea what the restrictions are on that sort of arrangement to be honest - can anyone with a bit of land in principle offer livery just like that and take payment for it? I assume it would need to be declared together with any other income? And would that still be the case if it was an exchange of services without any money changing hands? )

Haha I'm such a a goody-2-shoes, I wouldn't DARE enter into an agreement if I wasn't entirely certain is was all "above board". Not because I think everybody should follow the law by the letter and declare every penny etc etc but because I'm too scared of the consequences (especially if it involved my horse) - so not a moral/ethical thing at all (as much as I'd like to say it was, I'd be lying and that really would be unethical :D)

That's a great deal as long as you get a nice reliable person who appreciates what they're getting! I also think it needs to be discussed in advance what happens if the person goes away for whatever reason (planned holiday etc ...) ... But yes yes YES!

newrider.com