Would you hack in the ice – uncertain road conditions?

Nookster

Oct 21, 2002
We’ve had tonnes of snow over the weekend and a couple of nights of sharp frosts. The roads are semi clear but with the moisture from the snow melting and the sharp frosts of an evening this has made some very icy conditions in parts. Now add to this the morning sun you get a lovely mixture of black ice too.

Our roads are national speed limit, no were safe enough to do speeds above 30mph at the moment with current conditions anyway but some drivers don’t always respect that. Some areas of the road still have compact snow on, other areas our local farmer has tried to plough it out of the way but has made walls of snow down the sides of the roads that even I can’t pull my car into to let other cars get by as the roads in some places are literally single track. Get the picture?

I was shocked to see a girl out hacking this morning in the 8:30 rush to work, her horse looked unflappable but I still couldn’t give her a good enough clearance with the snow/ice and couldn’t stop the crunching of the ice under the wheels. Low lying sun also meant I didn’t see her that clearly. I just wanted to get out and ask her to ‘save herself’ as I was worried senseless for her on the roads in those conditions.

She has ever right to be out and we as car drivers should endeavour to make it safe but Jesus! I personally just wouldn’t risk it in this weather, her horse wasn’t getting the best grip and you just can’t guarantee some nutter isn’t going to loose it on the ice. Not even a month back I lost it badly on black ice and lets say thank god there wasn’t any oncoming traffic as I was everywhere trying to regain what was literally a lethal tonne of metal.

I shudder to think and actually sat here wondering if she made it back ok!

NEVER NEVER NEVER, You are so right about the while thread. Sometimes you just touch your breaks and you skid a little.

I know it is frustrating not being able to ride these last couple of months but this is just plain silly IMO.

Never.

I had to stop a numpty from the farm a few weeks ago, she was going to take her horse out, the farm track was compacted snow which had frozen solid. Lethal.

I think that’s the thing, horse and rider feel happy enough to tackle the weather and surrounding environment. What i fear for the most is her life in other peoples hands which yes is a risk anytime we ride on the roads but i feel is ten times worse in conditions drivers can't predict or react quickly too.

We just got our car back after someone rear ended it, not enough space left by the driver behind sadly but was due to the woman at the front slamming on for no reason (road was clear) but she said because..... "she saw a large vehicle in her rear view mirror"........ so thought best action was to hit the brakes?!?! Just makes me realise that people can endanger themselves and can be completely irrational in their actions

I would ride in snow in fields and bridleways (fresh not compact), but horse against metal objects travelling at speed on national speed limit roads in icy conditions? *shudder*

Last edited:
I wouldn't hack if it was icy, never mind if there was traffic or not, I don't risk my horse slipping and injuring himself or me! One of our horses has heart bar shoes, which makes it worse as he has nothing but metal in contact with the ground, so if its slightly icy he doesn't go on the road.

Our roads werre really icy in Jan and also the school was frozen, I was iffy even turning out in the frozen school or fields never mind riding there and the roads would have been worse!! NEVER would I ride out when it was icy on the roads even though I was riding an unflappable cob.

I would never do roads, I have however went for some amazing WALKS in the snow up our hill, I'm always cautious and if my beastie said he's uncomfortable on the snow I just hop off and walk him back! I think sometimes you just need to stand back and think if it's really worth it?! x

Definitely NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just not worth the risk. Most I'd consider would be a short pootle around our own land - but never never on the roads in ice or snow conditions. No matter how calm your horse is, accidents are more likely to happen in the bad weather.

No way no way no way. We had a horse from the farm that was rear-ended by an out of control car once. Guy claimed that low-lying sun meant he didn't see the horse and rider until it was too late, then he braked, slid on ice and hit them at 60 mph. Rider ended up in hospital and horse had to be shot at the side of the road by the vet. Really really tragic. Guy wasn't even charged (grrrrrrr). You can be as safe as you like but you can't legislate for other idiots on the road.

no chance, your a pure idiot if you do, the risk of an ACCIDENT is too great. I emphasise ACCIDENT as it may be no ones fault but these things happen and your stupid to not consider it.

No way! I toyed with trying to hack this morning but decided it just wasnt worth the risk.

She's an idiot! I dont actually go with the "she has every right" bit though. She has no right to risk her horse and any driver who may be unfortunate enough to meet her.

I dont actually go with the "she has every right" bit though. She has no right to risk her horse and any driver who may be unfortunate enough to meet her.

I agree but sadly can't fully agree because we can't control others if that makes sense? I have every right to put my head in a fire but i won't lol - my explanations are pants aren't they haha!

Does anybody think that people who don't drive but ride aren't aware of the difficulties facing drivers?
Findlay mentioned an accident where driver claimed low lying sun as a factor, now I know at certain times of day this is a real hazard. The route to my field is quite open, bendy with a hump back bridge, if the sun is low you are almost blinded. A non driver I know regulary rides down a stretch of this road at the worst possible times, no matter how many times I tell her not to.:mad:

Last edited:
Never, ever in icey conditions or compacted snow - would only ride in fields on fresh snow TBh. I dont think that rider has ANY right to do that - she is putting car drivers at risk as well as herself and her horse isnt she?:mad:

Nope. As others have said, by taking my horse out, I have responsibility to 3 parties - myself, the horse and other road users (pedestrians/cars/etc).

If I can't, within a reasonable allowance, guarantee the safety for all 3 parties, I dont think it is fair to go out.

Would rather not ride a few days/weeks that risk it.

Jen
x

Nope. Never mind uncontrollable cars . . . I'd be worried about Kal slipping.

Not worth the risk to my gorgeous boy.

N

Did once never again.

The slope looked like slush but was icy and pony and me fell.

Lesson learnt, he does not NEED to go out, he lives out.

newrider.com