Would you clip a share horse?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
The horse I'm sharing had a trace clip at the start of winter but not since and it has all but grown out. He's getting sweaty even just walking on a hack and so I had a thought...

I have clippers at home I'm not using so I offered them to his owner to use (I was really worried this would come across as pushy so made sure to say only if she wanted to use them, she paid someone to clip him before)

Anyway she replied that she would like to, I hope she just isn't being polite and feels she has to now. Its very hard when you don't own them, I don't want to upset her.

She has said that either I can do him or she can. I'm happy to do him but I'm not sure if I should leave it for her to do, is it rude to clip someone elses horse for them?? I just feel like I've crossed some line. Or I'm massively over thinking all this!

She isn't committing so I wouldn't clip him.
I would wait until she asks to borrow or books him in.

Reactions: MrA
Well to be fair when I shared my horse with a lovely young girl that you actually remind me of at times, I was very laid back with what she done and was happy for her to do what she wanted as I trusted her. If she said she wants to borrow them or you can then being the way I was then I'd say go ahead and clip, just do a double check with her in a light hearted oh I've got time on Sat while I'm there would you like me to clip or shall I leave them at the yard for you? Kinda way. What I will say though is pleeease stop worrying so much missus and I mean that in the nicest possibly way, you are too young to be worrying so much :)

If I'm paying to ride a horse and it's sweating up quite a bit when I am then I'd expect the owner to be ok with either themselves or myself clipping the horse.

If she says she's happy for you to do it then I'd double check - maybe text her & ask how much she's happy for you to take off or if she just wants the same as before - then go ahead. If you keep the texts then if there is a problem you have proof you asked & she agreed :)

If she didn't want him clipped again I'm sure she would have said when you offered her your clippers.

Either way I'd ask again whether she would like to do him or whether she is happy for you to do him and then it's sorted.

Might be best if you were both there anyway even if you do the clipping so you can agree how much etc

She might be very keen if she's used to paying for it but perhaps hasn't clipped herself before hence being a little vague. I would double check, perhaps offer to meet up to do it, so you can be around to assist her or visa versa or she might just say you go ahead :)

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
It sounds as though she might be happy for you to do it. Owner probably hasn't ever clipped or not often and does not wish to let you know that. I would say 'can we do it together?' and go for it - poor chap needs redoing soon before he starts losing weight or getting colicy owing to being hot/cold.

newrider.com