Would you buy a pony with a sarcoid?

Talibutts

Nov 1, 2010
Pie Land
I sold my daughters pony 3 years ago. She is up for sale again, and I would like to buy her, but she now has a sarcoid on her thigh, about the size of a 1p coin.

My friends horse was successfully treated wth a sarcoid near his eye, about 6 years ago, and has never had any more.

I have googled, but it seems the vetinary opinion is to stay well clear.

They are only selling the pony because of the sarcoid, this pony is perfect in every other way.

opinions please?

A random horse no I wouldn't, but if it was a horse I already knew, then that's different. My horse seems to have got over his now but nothing to say they won't come back any time. It is a random reason to sell though- I'd be a bit suss with that.

I was put off a horse with a sarcoid. The horse was not yet backed and the sarcoid was in the saddle area.

When I had Rosie vetted. The vet pointed out a very tiny lump on her neck. The vet said it could be a sarcoid but wasn't worried. THAT didn't put me off and funnily enough whatever it was is no longer there.

I does seem a strange reason to give for selling! Why don't they just get it treated? If you take a horse on and it develops something, you don't just then sell it! Seems rather odd to me.:frown:

My friends horse has just had a sarcoid treated. The vet easily did it at the yard under a little sedation.

I agree it is weird, they have only had the pony a few days, I had kept in contact with the people I sold her too, and saw on facebook that the girl had moved on to a bigger pony, I asked about 'my pony' and was told she had gone to a friend. Then completely randomly, my daughter saw an advert, and I would like to have her back, but and its a big but, I am not in a very good position financially, I have my own very small business, and its very, very hard times. My head and my heart are not together on this one!!!

In that case don't do it - sarcoids can/do cost a lot to treat. It can run into thousands. My own bills ended up totalling nearly a grand and the sarcoids he had weren't that numerous or serious tbh - they can get much worse & treatment can get a lot more pricey. Luckily my insurance covered most of my costs, but you wouldn't be insured having bought him with the condition. I'm not insured for any skin conditions anymore as it only lasts 12 months from the point you 'found' it. If xander gets more now, the whole lot I will have to fund myself. So no, if you are worried financially don't go there. Sorry, but from experience, even the part between paying the vet & waiting for the insurance cheque to come through took it's toll on me. :(

I reckon it depends on where the sarcoid is, and the horses past vet treatment, if say maybe he/she's had them before, were they treated for them, and the chances of them re-occurring..
Youngsters can and do sometimes get sarcoids or warts (milk warts), due to their hormones being a bit rampant, my lad had a suspect one, but it went as quick as it appeared, so sometimes it's a waiting game to see whether they really are what they appear..
Some times it really is best to leave well alone a suspected sarcoid, as interference could make what was a minor issue, a real one, and you end up worse off and out of pocket.. As long as there are no changes in it's size and appearance over months or maybe years, don't mess with it..
Go and have a look at pony, check out the sarcoid, and judge for yourself, but only if you're really in the position to take her back on, with the possibility of a large future vet bill, if it does prove to be a difficult one to treat..
Remember though, let your head do the talking, not your heart:wink:

I wouldn't. There are plenty out there without sarcoids.

However, if I'd already fallen for the horse it would depend on the type of sarcoid.

I have had 2 horses with sarcoids, both easily cured with an off the shelf cream and diet so no, it wouldn't put me off... unless it had received veterinary treatment that hadn't worked and they were all over. The fact it didn't have them when you owned the pony makes me think that it would easily be treated.

Mine had sarcoids when I bought him. I used Global Herbs stuff and two years on, touch wood, we are sarcoid free.

He may get them again, but they were not anywhere that interfered with the girth/saddle/bridle.

I overlooked them because I thought he was my perfect horse. Well, he's not perfect, but I wouldn't swap him - sarcoids and all!

Its the pony's first sarcoid, and was noticed about 10 months ago but no one realised it was a sarcoid.....

Reading between the lines I think current owner has asked for vets opinion and has been given worse case senario.

The sarcoid is on the back right leg, thigh area, and the pony doesn't really want you to touch it, just quietly moves out of your way when you go close, but you can touch any other part of leg.

I ride my daughters pones, ones too green and sharp, the other is too strong, so recently I have been riding less and less, I used to love riding this pony, and would trust her with my life. I know there are lots of pones out there, but once you get a certain age knowing what you are getting as much as possible means alot.

Thanks for the advice, is the global herbs stuff a supplement or a cream sjp1?

Thanks for the advice, is the global herbs stuff a supplement or a cream sjp1?[/QUOTE]

It is a powder supplement called Sarc Ex. I used just the Sarc Ex, but with hindsight should have also used the Immune Plus from them in conjunction with the Sarc Ex as sarcoids appear to come from a compromised immune system - ie. Toby had an eye infection that his friend also had. His friend's was sorted in a week, three weeks later Tobes was still on eye cream. I have now got him on the Immune Plus as well, and shall keep him on that for a month or two.

Global Herbs also do a stronger cream which you can get on vets authority called Sarc Off. My vet was happy to get it for me, but actually they never bothered him, so we just perservered with the Sarc Ex.

Well she's comming home tomorrow!

Going to ring the global herbs advice line and go down the natural/holistic path first, then if needs be get out the 'big guns' at a later date!

Can't wait, she didn't recognised me, but she still likes to 'bite' your feet when you mount lol

[/QUOTE]

It is a powder supplement called Sarc Ex. I used just the Sarc Ex, but with hindsight should have also used the Immune Plus from them in conjunction with the Sarc Ex as sarcoids appear to come from a compromised immune system - ie. Toby had an eye infection that his friend also had. His friend's was sorted in a week, three weeks later Tobes was still on eye cream. I have now got him on the Immune Plus as well, and shall keep him on that for a month or two.[/QUOTE]

I agree with trying the immune plus in conjunct with the sarc-x, tackling the sarcoid from two different angles:smile:

glad you have bought her, she will probably recognise coming home - i saw some ponies i fostered for six months a week ago, they didnt recognise me as they don't associate me with there, but i bet if they showed up here they would remember.

newrider.com