Would you ask them for money?

Rea

Aug 31, 2007
I was just about to put my mare up for sale when 2 days ago she was kicked just below her hock in the field. I know who's horse it was that kicked her as she only shares her field with one other little pony. I cleaned the wound up as best I could and hoped it would be ok as she wasnt lame at the time, just a bit stiff.

Today I've been to see my mare and her leg has balloned up, so I think its safe to say it's infected. The vet is coming out in the morning to see to her, but I think she'll just need antibiotics

Question is would you ask the owners of the pony that kicked her for money to cover the vets bill? I'm already skint and I really could do without this bill thats prob gonna be a good £50 or more.

The pony is well known for kicking other horses, the reason it was moved from the field with the main herd in was that it was kicking everything but I ended up with it in my field 6 months ago because my mare was in a big field all by herself. The yard doesnt have fields for individual horses, they are all 2 horse fields or go in with the main herd so I cant even ask for her to be moved! I know this is turning into a bit of a rant but I'm just ****ed off for having to spend a fortune on a vets bill that was someone elses fault!

Sorry to hear about your mare. I'm afraid i wouldn't ask the other owner to contribute to the bill - field injuries are just part and parcel of having horses.

I hate to say it but i think you are paying the price for being nice, and agreeing to have this little horror turned out with your mare. I would NEVER let my girl be turned out with a known kicker, especially one that had been "expelled" from the main herd for kicking !

You could actually sue them for breeching duty of care, especially if you can prove it was her pony that kicked them. We were talking about this the other day.

If its a known kicker, and kicks something else seriously, then it is their problem as they shouldnt have allowed pony to be with anyone else.

Best thing to do is contact CAB

Sorry cant be more help x

Honestly no I don't think you can ask - how would you feel if your mare kicked their horse and then they came to you to ask for money for vet fees?

Did you see the incident itself? If not can you be 100% sure it's a kick?

I think unfortunately it's just one of those things you need to accept - horses will kick, some more than others and unless you can separate them there's not much you can do unfortunately. I can completely understand why you are angry though!

I hope she recovers quickly!:)

No.

Kicks and knocks are part and parcel of herd turnout, and I don't agree that there's any duty of care or liability on the part of the YO or pony's owner - if you keep your horse with another, you are implicitly accepting that risk and wether or not the pony is a "known kicker" is irrelevant because you let it happen. Sorry!

The only exception imo would be if you had specifically asked for your horse NOT to be put in with that pony, your request was ignored, and the accident happened in the first few days.

anyway, (((hugs))) and hope she's not too damaged! :)

I agree with above, i dont think you can ask for money, we turn our horses out with other horses in the knowledge they can get kicked/bitten even with horses which dont normally do so.
All you could do is ask to maybe split the field in two with some leccy tape if thats a possibility to stop it happening again, if not ask to have the other horse removed completely if you are worried about your girl
Hope she has a speedy recovery:)

Agree - Molly kicked Flony_pony's Flo when they first met (and I was mortified) but it is one of those things :eek:

Sorry to hear about your mare. I'm afraid i wouldn't ask the other owner to contribute to the bill - field injuries are just part and parcel of having horses.

I hate to say it but i think you are paying the price for being nice, and agreeing to have this little horror turned out with your mare. I would NEVER let my girl be turned out with a known kicker, especially one that had been "expelled" from the main herd for kicking !

I didnt get much choice getting this pony in with my mare, sharing my field was the only spare place in the private paddocks.

I think what ****es me off is that there is absolutly no grass in the field. So my mare comes in for a few hours everyday to stuff her face with hay and feed. This pony is left out 24-7, never given any extra food, is getting a bit thin but because she is so hungry everytime I try getting my mare in and out the field she comes over (obviously thinking if she chases my mare away i'll bring her in instead) and ends up lashing out at her.

I didnt see the kick happen but with no other horses in that field and there's nothing else in the field she could get an injury like that on. I dont think it helps that my last mare had to be pts after she was kicked and broke her leg.

no you cant askf ro money really - all part of horse ownership

but tbh id move.... if you have no other fields other than that id move yards :)

It's a horrible situation and I completely sympathise. My lad was badly bitten last year, and he needed two weeks of anti-biotics, eight weeks of box rest, and the skin was so badly ripped that there was a huge wound and not enough skin to put stitches in. I couldn't prove who did it (although I strongly suspect I know, and I requested that my lad was moved away from this horse, as he had bullied my boy a lot prior to this bite), and I was still learning to cope with a single salary after my ex left, so it was a £150 that I just couldn't afford, and I ended up paying it off for six months. Unfortunately, it is simply one of the risks involved with horses, although I would always insist my horse was not out with a horse who is known to bite or kick.

I hope she is better soon and the bill isn't too huge :(

No I wouldn't. Horses are horses and these things happen. If you turn your horse out in company you have accept there will be risks. From your last post it does sound like it could be down to a management problem though, so I would definitely be talking to the pony's owner about it.

As everyone else says, horses are horses and they can kick. don't think you should ask for money-are you insured? Mine was PTS after a kick in the field and broken leg-there was speculation about which horse it was but I just didn't care-they're animals and they kick. Other people were saying I should do something about it but what would have been the point? I don't dislike any of the horses that were out with him and I was utterly furious with a mate who nominated a horse to take the blame. My sister-in-law's horse was PTS when she stood up and broke her leg by twisting it on hard ground-alone in the field. Unless you have footage, there's not much you can do. YOu ate far too nice-I would never allow my new horse to be out with known kickers.

I wouldnt ask for any money. My mare has been kicked in the past by another mare so is now NEVER put in a field with her.
If you knew this mare kicked then its a risk you take.
I do hope that she gets better though, maybe moving her with a different horse or sectioning off part for her might be better option

No

Mine hoon around and kick out at each other in play, Kira came in the other day with a nasty looking cut to her leg, it could easily have been Bramble or her doing it to heself or catching herself on something, all part and parcel of horses i'm afraid

No I wouldn't.

If you bought some electric fencing would the YO let you split the field in two? Or could you put your mare in the main field? If you can't come to some arrangement with the YO then maybe you should move, it's a nuisance when your selling her but it may be for the best.

I don't think you could ask the owner for money, but I would raise the issue with your yard owner if you have been forced to keep your horse with a known kicker.

Nope I wouldn’t ask for money if another horse kicked mine. As many have said part of horse ownership. But I also view it as those are the risks with turning out with other horses. I assume you would have been informed that the pony was joining your field? And have witnessed the pony in your field before this incident?

The only time I would feel the need if the pony had been added to the field without my consent being a known kicker and left with my horse without my knowledge. I would then feel the need to approach the owner in concerns to the kick.

I would raise the issue of the pony and see if it can be solved if not I personally would look at moving if I couldn’t find a safe haven in one of the fields.

I wouldn't ask for money as these things happen with horses. My horse was kicked in the hock with the horse she was out and ended up with a £3000 vet bill, she then went back out with him and he chased her so badly she over reached really badly and ended up with another £5000 vet bill. Luckly she was insured so i just had to foot the excess, but then i was lucky as i had an understanding YO who then let us have spearate fileds, and my mare is now out with another mare who's she's best friends with.

newrider.com