*** would u do? rehome??

Mollypops

Nov 17, 2007
I've put this on another forum but I just need some advice really so the more answers the better.

Ive owned my horse quite a number of years and I've had a lot of fun with him in that time. But now hes 15 has developed COPD altho mild and has to have heart bar shoes on due to his really flat feet. Hes a lovely horse, loves life and tonite was galloping around the field full of beans. But I can no longer afford to look after him its due to his feet and medication for his COPD.

I just dont know what to do and I've also lost heart due to the finances and the other liveries are just doing my head in I cant go on anymore unless I win the lottery and then I'll go to France with my horse but that hasnt happened yet.

I am not sure what you are asking but we took on a lovely mare at 15 about three years ago when the owner's livery yard told her to put her down 'as useless'. Yes she had and still has COPD, not helped by having stable next to hay barn in her old yard and she has some odd quirks but does our job very well.

I am sure someone will love and care for your horse in spite of higher maintenance costs

my stallion has mild copd, he leeds a normal life, no medication, just field that is mud free and away form the hay and straw,

when he come in, unless its over night hes stable is empty so i can keep it washed down,

the other stable, also is kept in the same way, copd really doesnt have to be an issue, and so long as the horse is manged really well, doesnt have to be a problem. the horses body fitness also plays a part.

COPD can be managed really well cheaply in some circumstances. Not sure how bad your horses case is though.

How much more do the heartbar shoes cost?

Is it everyone elses opinions on your yard that are wearing you down more? :(

It is a bad time for a lot of people financially at the moment.

My boy has heartbar shoes on his fronts, and I don't find them too expensive, mine were £100 for 2 plus a trim on his backs and an hours remedial work on one foot.. Okay I would normally pay £35 for a half set but I guess I have been told he'll only need one more set of them to settle his feet.

Have you tried asking about for anyone that would be interested in your horse? If it's just your yard that's the problem, could you move him elsewhere? Also, what is it that's wrong with his feet? I hear of a farrier who was insiting on remedial work and heartbar shoes on horses who didn't need them to make more money!

COPD is manageable, I've known a few of older horses with it in the past who were actually very popular (one of the best school horses was 18 with COPD, got sold on to a lovely home, and was still working up to age 28).

Ok, the shoes may not be cheap. However, if he's a great horse in other respects (ie what someone's looking for, safe, responsive, does what they want etc), then a good prospective owner may well overlook the more expensive shoeing if they are getting what they want otherwise.

Maybe look for a more pleasant (people-wise) livery yard with cheaper options available, eg grass livery or DIY? Or maybe you can get a sharer for him, to help with expenses? If he's a fun horse who's fairly easy to ride/do, then I'm sure there's an enthusiastic teen or adult somewhere who'd jump at the chance.

My mare is 12 and started to develop signs of COPD about two years ago. She went on a course of ventapulmin which was very expensive. Since then I have kept her out 24/7 and soak her hay. She has a field shelter which I bed down with shredded paper. Touch wood I have had no further problems.

You sound really down at the moment. When I get like that I find the best thing to do is just hang on in there. Perhaps you could find somewhere cheaper to keep her or get someone to share her with you. It is particularly tuff financially for all of us right now and likely to get worse so I do symathise with you.

But I can no longer afford to look after him its due to his feet and medication for his COPD.

I am in exactly the same position as you are in. My pony got COPD at 16, then got laminitis, and has just been diagnosed with Cushing's disease, at a whopping cost of £120 a month to treat for the rest of his life. PM me for details, I might be able to help you by offering some suggestions. :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Hes a really nice horse to be around, he never had COPD until I moved to my present yard so Im thinking of moving down the road, thing is where I am the grass is really lush so hes getting fatter. The yard I've seen isnt great either but I'll just have to take the risk it may help his breathing.

But the other thing is he has started tripping and slipping on his feet,but apart from that hes a lively horse and cantered round the lush field last night full of energy. Hes also had quite a few abscesses due to his poor feet.

I just cant take any more. I've moved yards quite a few times now and dont want to move again but I think I'll have to coz of his COPD.

Does anyone really think he could be rehomed? Im thinking I may have to put him down nearer to the winter.

Please don't have him put to sleep because he has a few issues :eek: If people had done that with my two they'd both have been PTS years ago.

It's horrible when you feel like everything is getting on top of you, been there and I know how awful it feels. You were asking about barefoot in another thread, i think that's certainly worth trying before you start thinking of having him PTS.:eek:

If I were you i'd be looking around for other yards that might be more suitable for his breathing issues - you never know, you might find something cheaper too. I've moved my horses a lot this year, once when J first went barefoot to a more 'luxurious' yard better suited to him, once back home, then off to a field which was great, back to a different small yard, and then again to somewhere with more grass as they were skinnny in july! - it's not ideal, but they cope and it's worth it in the end - i've found a great place that's got everything we need.

If your heart really isn't into 'fixing' him, then advertise him and find him someone daft (like myself! :rolleyes:) who enjoys the challenge of sorting a horse out - there's a few barefoot people floating about who will take on poor-footed horses to fix up.

I know how awful it feels when you just think there's nothing you can do, but there are plenty of options left :)

Ditto what Roofio said.

I'm sure that he could be rehomed - you certainly don't know unless you try to advertise him for a few months?

As you can see bu the replies you have had lots of horses have copd and still live a healthy life so I'm sure that won't be much of an issue and as for the feet well perhaps barefoot would be an option - certainly if you are thinking of pts then you have nothing to lose by trying?

I would think that if properly advertised you would find him a home it may just take a bit of time and effort to find one.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you put him out to loan.

He sounds a sweetheart and somebody would love to take him on to field livery or something.

His problems don't sound bad enough for him to be put to sleep - it seems as though you have had enough.

No offence but that really isn't fair on the horse who sounds like a lovely fella.

I'm sure you could find him a nice home - OR - to get used to the idea you could turn him away for a bit on grass livery to keep the costs down.

Where are you based?

I'm sure you could find someone to loan him? He sounds like a nice horse despite his desire for designer shoes ;)

Thanks peeps.

Like that one Ace. Yes he has a thing for designer shoes.

I've enquired with a few rehoming places an only one so far may be interested.

The other thing is that he has started slipping whilst out hacking on his back legs. Altho no slipping when cantering around field yesterday.

I def think that even tho hes going Im goin to have to move yards this one isnt really working.

I would do what I did with my mare, keep plugging away at the problems and make life as best as I could for her. I'm very stubborn though.

I would put yours on grass livery to help with the COPD and keep shoeing with the heartbars, talk to my farrier and see how long he thought the heartbars would be needed and keep on with it.

My mare went onto heartbars last year, she slips and trips a lot less, her feet have improved beyond all recognition - she actually has heels now. It's not perfect and I am thinking of going barefoot as there's still something not right with her action but it's given her almost a year of life when we (RI, vet and I) all thought it was the end last year.

Also are you insured - my remedial shoeing is covered under my insurance so the heartbars get paid for ?

He has had some lameness issues in the past. So Im sure that would put someone off and hes seems to be lame for the first few strides in trot then fine after that. Its a wierd one but his lameness history is driving me mad as well as that I've had enough of horses and liveries.

He has had some lameness issues in the past. So Im sure that would put someone off and hes seems to be lame for the first few strides in trot then fine after that. Its a wierd one but his lameness history is driving me mad as well as that I've had enough of horses and liveries.

So have you told us everything then?

Coz, it kinda looks like you've had fun, now your not, so shoot him :confused:

Tis blunt but its in a nutshell.

I'm not saying you are making the decision easily but have you alread made it?

I can totally understand the frustration, Ziz was intermittently lame for 3 years, it's only been since last October/November that things have started to look up for us, and each problem I solve isn't the end as I then notice others. It is headbangingly frustrating and can be very sad but if he's sound say for hacking there are people who would take him on. What is his lameness history ?

newrider.com