Would this annoy you, *its happened again*

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I'm on a DIY/livery yard.

If your yard owner let the mares live out 24/7 weeks before the geldings, even though their grazing looks very similar. I am fed up and exhausted and wonder if I should moan like everyone else or grow up.

I wonder if I should moan like everyone else or grow up.

Neither! ! Moaning is pointless but it is not unreasonable (or childish) to feel annoyed. I'd politely ask why she has allowed the mares out and when the geldings will also be allowed out. Bottom line is it's her land and she can manage it as she chooses so you are more likely to get a receptive response if you are polite and reasonable

Btw if you are already exhausted please don't double the cycling or get up at 5am!!! It honestly won't matter that much to him. Of course he's keen to get out but horses get to know their routines and anticipate when things happen. He won't be stood impatient from hours before.

Reactions: MrA
I will try and speak to her, I just worry as she gets very defensive and I dont want to upset her

Seems odd - I would try and be pleasant about it but ask all the same. At least then you'll know. I find not saying anything can be worse because I'm likely to say something quite rude if I allow it to fester!:oops:

Id ask too, like trews me festering on things is generally not good. Just be all smiles and pick your wording so it can't be misinterpreted as rude, moaning or whatever

I would mention it. I find just asking usually gives you a valid reason.
I know here things happen and get altered. One of the paddocks got opened up and it shouldn't have. Moaning wouldn't help, asking did and the gate shut shut again.

If mares are allowed out, I wonder if it has to do with them being in season. Do mares trash the stables or bedding more due to mareish behaviour. That's the only thing I can think of. Be interested to know what yo reason is.

I'm sure that there is a reason behind it. Perhaps one of the mares needed to go out 24/7 for some reason. There is nothing wrong with asking her, but at the end of the day it's her yard and her decision to run the fields as she wishes.

And so this year similar problems. Our horses are still in at night :( due to not enough grass apparently.

Apart from one horse who has gastric reasons who has to live out. Fair enough. And she has a companion, also fair enough. But another horse is allowed out over night because she is too lively to ride otherwise and another horse because she is young. So they have all been out 24/7 all through winter and still are.

But now it's getting into May and the rest of us are still not allowed to turn out overnight. Seems a little unfair surely??! This is why I need to find a yard that offers 24/7

It's the same this year with us. Mares are out geldings still in. I have 2 of each so I'm not taking it personally!! There is less grass in the gelding field as they have churned it up more. We also have 24/7 fields though which is good as I like Cally out all the time.

It's not nice @Ale when you really want them out 24/7. :(
One yard where we used to keep ours has NO turnout until June and then it's only four hours max per day:(makes me wonder how they have any liveries at all, we soon moved.
I hope you and Ale can find somehere new, but it sounds like you are very limited and not much choice locally.

It's not nice @Ale when you really want them out 24/7. :(
One yard where we used to keep ours has NO turnout until June and then it's only four hours max per day:(makes me wonder how they have any liveries at all, we soon moved.
I hope you and Ale can find somehere new, but it sounds like you are very limited and not much choice locally.

I really do! Gosh that sounds awful I guess we are quite lucky here is some ways as we never have no turnout.

It's really silly but some days I want to give everything in and move all for the sake of ale, that would mean walking away from a really good job but I'm so unhappy keeping him like this, it's just not what I want for him and he wants to be out too. If only we had a fab yard like all you guys seem to have, I mean it's not awful here just the gypsies, the busy road to hack and the limit on turnout mean it's not right for us. Shame it's taken me so long to realise!

I really do! Gosh that sounds awful I guess we are quite lucky here is some ways as we never have no turnout.

It's really silly but some days I want to give everything in and move all for the sake of ale, that would mean walking away from a really good job but I'm so unhappy keeping him like this, it's just not what I want for him and he wants to be out too. If only we had a fab yard like all you guys seem to have, I mean it's not awful here just the gypsies, the busy road to hack and the limit on turnout mean it's not right for us. Shame it's taken me so long to realise!

That would be sad to have to leave a good job. Do new yards tend to spring up near you? We seemed to have a spate of new ones near here a few years back. There is quite a good choice we were lucky.
Least he is out during the day, it's a start. I will keep hoping you find somewhere that suits.

That would be sad to have to leave a good job. Do new yards tend to spring up near you? We seemed to have a spate of new ones near here a few years back. There is quite a good choice we were lucky.
Least he is out during the day, it's a start. I will keep hoping you find somewhere that suits.

No quite the opposite, they seem to be closing down!! Thanks here's hoping that one day we will find something x

Reactions: Trewsers
Awww no ale! Its weird I was only saying today how a yard near me turns there horses out 3 days a week for 9 months of the year! So there only out full time for 3 months! Atleast were sox is he can pretty much go out nearly every day of the year, wouldn't be any grass left, like. But he can if I wanted him to. I am sure something will turn up. Any idea how long the geldings will have to be in for until there turned out?

I think in your shoes Ale, and given other people obviously get the rules changed to suit them, I would possibly be talking to the YO and saying that on the basis of his injury he needs to be out 24/7 now, a bit cheeky but obviously it hasn't stopped other people.

In terms of finding another yard, could you look for somewhere further out, on perhaps a train route, that could offer 24/7 turnout on a part livery basis as you aren't working him daily now?

Reactions: juliecwuk
newrider.com