Would like to share a couple of pictures

MAC66

Jun 18, 2009
Kent
I took these photos this afternoon at some gardens locally and thought it might be nice to share them. It is the first time I have ever seen a mother swan with her babies, they and the male seem to be totally comfortable with the hordes of people in the gardens.

Attachments

• IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 17
Gorgeous pics - the babies look so relaxed and happy to be there too. I guess they just grow up used to human interaction?:smile:

Up until about 5-6 years ago the migrant swans never bred here, They all bogged off back to Iceland and Russia. IN the last few years more and more swans are staying put and raising young here.

We had a semi tame one we named "Donald" (not after the duck after Mr Flanders' piano player) he lived here all winter and became an honorary goose for the winter,

There used to be a lot of swans in our area but in the last few years the numbers have dwindled a lot. The poor swans in certain places are a prime target for morons with air rifles and crossbows and I think some have just moved elsewhere.

I remember Flanders and Swann - we used to listen to them on the radio when I was quite young and we didn't have television.

The swans we saw today are not in our town but not far away and they are a managed group, if that's the right expression. When their numbers get too big some are moved to other locations. The gardens are very popular with families and so I suppose it's not a good idea to have too many swans about. I was surprised that the male swan wasn't at all aggressive towards humans but was keeping other birds away from his family. There were a lot of birds on the lake and he was sitting between them and his family.

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1458.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 4
Mute swans are horribly territorial. The Hoopers we have here are quite gregarious.

Lovely pictures. I love swans. We rescued one that had been hit by a car on a motorway slip road - took it to the vet but sadly it didn't survive. They are such lovely big creatures.

Lovely pictures. I love swans. We rescued one that had been hit by a car on a motorway slip road - took it to the vet but sadly it didn't survive. They are such lovely big creatures.

The old boy down the road built a lot of ponds in his back garden, and he rescued a male swan who was injured, took him to the vet, vet said he'd have to amputate the leg and he'd never survive in the wild, so the old guy paid for the operation and adopted him to live in his fields and ponds.:wub:

The old boy down the road built a lot of ponds in his back garden, and he rescued a male swan who was injured, took him to the vet, vet said he'd have to amputate the leg and he'd never survive in the wild, so the old guy paid for the operation and adopted him to live in his fields and ponds.:wub:

Aw, that was good of him.:wub:

Aw, that was good of him.:wub:

The best bit was he enlisted all the school children to help catch him when he was first injured. The school came out and they rounded him up into the school playground and cornered him in the Multi court! No point having a village school if you cannot put the kids to good use! :D
Proper village life!

newrider.com