would I be able to?

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
I know lots of these questions are asked but was wondering if I would be small and light enough to ride a dartmoor or welsh sec A?? I'm 5'3" and 8 stone.

You'd probably be fine to ride one -- but you might want to think twice before you buy a pony for which you're near the top of the weight range. I'm even shorter than you (5'2'') and at your age was lighter than you. I'm now considerably heavier! And though I'm still comfortably "in the ponies" I'm not sure I'd be happy on a sec. A or a dartmoor (though I love dartmoors and am always looking at ads for bigger ones!). It would be heartbreaking to outgrow a pony as an adult!

im 5ft 5 and nearly 10 stone and ride my 12hh section a. i wouldnt do really long rides on her, but shes fine for an hour or 2 hacking.

I'm 5'6 and around 9 stone, and I ride 12h Dartmoors. I don't do a lot of riding with them (mainly driving), but they carry me just fine. It really depends on what you'll do with them. Dartmoors are tough little things. I know of a lady that is a very advanced driver that competes in combined driving events. Because of this, she needs to be able to ride them to work on them. She says she rides them all the time and she's heavier than I am. Of course her ponies are extremely fit, too.

Last edited:
Me on my dartmoor.. naturally I look WAY big on him but he seem to cope w. the weight fine. This photo was from the third time I backed him.. only for 20 meters!! He's still wondering a little bit what's going on in this pic.. since then we have been working him "w. a little bit" younger/lighter people like my 4 year old nephew and a two 10-12 year old girls - approx 5-10 minutes rides.

eros_ingela.jpg

eros_benji.jpg

Yesterday me and Eros went for our first ride in the forrest w. me on the back - rode him for 10-15 minutes and he was very eager and happy.. he asked if we could trot and kept making pleasant noises - "frustade" in swedish - tail high head low - think he knows he really need to use his back w. me on. Yes.. I plan to use him for driving primarly but this was good fun for both him and me and he seemed to prefere having me on the back than the youngsters who we're probably just over half my weight - including the ones w. riding experience.

Last edited:
ShadowCat said:
Ingela, your pony is adorable. He looks like one of my ponies with that long hair. How old is he?

:D

Cool! Would live to see a pic. I love Eros hair! He's 5. Was a stallion until he was about 3 1/2. Found him this winter but couldn't take him down here before summer so had him for like 6-7 weeks now.

You will be fine! I know 5'4" 8 stone girls that show them and the only thing that they have trouble with is stopping them!
maz
xxx

newrider.com