Would excess weight effect a horses movement?

keep the faith

Apr 16, 2004
county armagh, N.I
Visit site
Lady is overweight at the minute due to having the summer off and not doing anything. She has been back in work 2 weeks but her right fore is turned in and shes dishing quite badly on the leg too. I thought it was the way the farrier shod her and it took him til today to come back to the yard and look at it. He says its because shes overweight and that her foot is trimmed and shod fine. He reckons the excess weight is making her toe in.

I personally think this is a load of tosh and hes trying to cover up his mistake, even when shes standing square the toe is still turned in so its not just when shes moving.

Thoughts please.

Yes,
When the Icelandics have a summer tummy they find a good clear tölt difficult. When they are leaner they perform a lot better.

Not sure it would cause one toe to turn in though........;)

Yes,
When the Icelandics have a summer tummy they find a good clear tölt difficult. When they are leaner they perform a lot better.

Not sure it would cause one toe to turn in though........;)

Exactly my thoughts, shes not as athletic as she should be but i thought it odd that the foot had suddenly turned in. I noticed it the day she was shod. I wasn't there at the time or i would have said something. When i run my finger down her leg through the middle of her knee, cannon, fetlock and pastern and down to her hoof there is more hoof on the inside than the outside, though the farrier has put the shoe on with the toe clip straight she still has more foot to one side. Does that make sense or will a photo help?

newrider.com